Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 08-17-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Kepharel
Remover

Critique

I started photography last year and have recently been taking pictures at conventions.

There are some errors I've noticed with the pictures I've taken but if possible, I'd appreciate some other criticism to see if there are things I can improve on.

1. Wasn't sure if I should focus on the face or the knife.

2. Headphone wire cuts out a bit at the bottom.

3. Bad lighting on face.

5. Not sure how to handle taking an horizontal upper body shot when the cosplayer has a crop.

6. Same problem as above.

Thank you.
Kepharel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

1. Focusing on the face would have been the better choice. The knife is turned at such a thin angle to the camera, it is not dynamic enough to warrent being the focus of attention.

2. I don't mind the cord going out of frame. My brain can understand the cord continues back into the frame. I don't think the background scenery is interesting enough to make a horizontal composition.

3. The sunlight on her nose is distracting and the quality of the lighting on her face is not flattering, since there is darkness around her eyes. A reflector or flash-fill could help.

4. Again, the sunlight on the nose...Just turn her face until the lighting is more even. The lighting on her face is flattering this time. The background is pretty and the cropping is nice and tight, without being too tight.

5. The horizontal composition has no purpose here. It would be useful if you posed her with her hands and staff to fill the horizontal space. The top of the staff, being above her head forced you to put her head too low in the frame, creating too much negative space above her. Posing the top of the staff at the same level or below her head would make framing more easy.

6. His hands and arms help fill the horizontal composition, but the weapon could be posed more horizontally to keep it in the frame. His left hand would look better if raised enough to stay in the frame. His pose looks stiff and his face too relaxed to look like action.

Try some wider apertures to blur the background.

When the sun is bright and too contrasty, try taking the cosplayers into the shade.

Consider trying more shots of cosplayers looking off camera. It will help make it look like you caught them in a moment rather than posing for a camera.

Last edited by brucer007 : 08-17-2010 at 08:19 PM.
brucer007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Kepharel
Remover

Thank you very much for your advice.
Kepharel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
roflwaffles
The Waffles are ROFLing!

As a general critique, it seems like all your subjects are centered in the middle of the frame. I'm not a big stickler for rules and such, but it seems like you could use the rule of thirds here, and that might help the look of the composition. I especially think it would help the second photo, if you move your lens slightly to the left I think it would make it look a bit more interesting.
roflwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Kayumangi

Bulls eye image (subjects in the center) aren't exactly bad as long as you crop appropriately.

Portraits are usually shot vertically (that's why they are called Portrait orientation hhehe) you had the right idea on image 3 and 4 but the cropping was a bit tight for my taste.

It's a good start, just keep on shooting, you'll get the hang of it.
Kayumangi is offline   Reply With Quote