Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 09-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
FireSuki

Online buying

What are the best websites to buy cheep sewing notions and fabrics?
FireSuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
kandell

I don't really buy fabric online, just cuz I prefer to touch the fabric and see it in different lighting and I don't want to buy swatches XD

But Hancock Fabrics and JoAnn Fabrics both offer online shopping, and typically have great sales and coupons. Distinctive Fabrics is a good resource for some of the more unique fabric types.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

There are a lot..I don't think anyone can list all of them..In fact, I don't think multiple people will be able to list them all during the history of a thread. There are just too many places to buy from..Just pick ones in your price range and get sample swatches..if you like the material, buy it from wherever you got that.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
FireSuki

I am is there any safe sites that I can buy like lace and crap
FireSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
o01101011
Just call me Digit

For notions, if I have the time, I'll order from a chinese dealer on ebay. You can find SO MUCH more for way cheaper.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

As everyone here says. There are plenty of online fabric stores and the only cheap fabrics are really cotton and broadcloth fabrics.

Honestly FireSuki, I strongly suggest staying away from online buying in terms of fabrics and notions. You have to be careful because the advertising of the color for the fabric you need can be very decieving. Say for example, if you're looking for a light pink fabric and you found the perfect color online, when you receive it in the mail, it may turn out to be a shade darker than advertised and you'll be disappointed.

If you have a WalMart in your area, then check there for prices and occassional notions. Believe it or not, they brought the sewing fabrics back into there stores and it's a great way to stay in budget if your wallet is extremly tight. Other than that, your best bet for cheap notions would be garage and yard sales. Even then, you can't always find them there anyway.

The only time I would ever resort to buying fabric and notions online is if I don't have any local fabric stores like Hancocks or JoAnn and if WalMart didn't bring back the fabrics in the crafts area. Then buying online would be a bottom-of-the-barrel last resort.

Anyway, I'm just saying this so you won't end up wasting time and money, including shipping costs. For your sake, I don't want you being disappointed when your fabric comes in and expecting it to be one color and then recieving a lighter or darker color than intended. Good luck on your cosplays

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
Penlowe

You are assuming buying online will be cheaper than buying in person, this is not always the case. When you factor in shipping, time spent and store coupons, it is competitive at best. I resort to online shopping when I absolutely cannot get it in person in my city. More often than not, these items are unusual enough that they are not cheap to begin with, my online shopping is dictated by rarity, not price.

As to 'safety' on line, that is going to be the same no mater what you are shopping for. Do they have a return policy posted? What about a satisfaction guarantee? Are there customer reviews? are the products shipped from a country foreign to yours? are the product descriptions thorough and clear? If you can't find answers to those questions on the site, I wouldn't buy from them. They may be a legitimate business, but disorganized or poorly managed, therefore not worth your time.
Unread 09-14-2014, 04:42 AM   #8
Lustyyxo

I agree with kandell. But for a recent project I needed lots of blues and whites, and the store near me has limited amounts of fabrics. I did a review of myfabrics.co.uk a few days ago, and they were fast, and the materials were good. But ebay tends to have a lot of deals on poplin and specialty fabrics.

http://www.missoverture.blogspot.com

In Progress cosplays: Heartseeker Ashe (LoL) - Pattern Made. Harley Quinn (Burlesque) - 20%

I take cosplay commissions :3
Lustyyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #9
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

It also depends on the quality of items you're looking for...you can't expect a 10$ Craft fur to have the same qualities of a 36$ a yard faux fur made to emulate mink and the way i usually do things is thorough research...the only places I usually go for items when I want something cheaper than I can get it in a store are as follows

www.cheeptrims.com
assorted trims and other things

Www.wawak.com
for notions and buttons and such

www.Distinctivefabrics.com
for inexpensive faux furs and laces

www.silkbaron.com
for realllly well priced silks and good quality assortments

www.hancocksofpaducah.com
for quilting cottons and printed cottons mostly

www.Fabrics.com
They have been reliable for me for many inexpensive fabrics and great deals on things, but usually only in bulk as they charge shipping for anything under $35 but considering I can drop that easily on a fabric binge, it works in my favor sometimes...

www.rennaissanceribbons.com
They only sell to businesses but if you have your information you can get lovely jacquard ribbons at a fair price....I may edit when I think of others??
Unread 09-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

For notions I use esty. The best selection really.

To add to the list.

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
vulcan ears

cheap sewing supplies

I doubt that the best deals for supplies are from online. From my experience, I find that going to thrift stores are the best place to buy cheap sewing supplies. For whatever reason, I do not find sewing supplies at rummage sales. I buy all of my sewing supplies at thrift store expect for thead and cutting tools. No body knows how old that thread is and thead weakens over time. For the cutting tools, I do not know how shape the tool is in and I do not want to buy a dull tool. Anyways, I find some REALLY cheap items. I remember finding measuring tape for 20˘ and a whole mess of pins for 50˘. Some really great finds are the pressure foot attachments becasue I alway find them for a dollar or less. At the store like joann's ,they can go for over $10. I also look for sewing patterns at the store because I always find them for also a dollar or less. The best deal I got for sewing patterns was a dozen patterns for 50˘.
vulcan ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Penlowe

I love estate sales! one has to learn the companies in ones own area, which ones actually run real estate sales vs. just garage sales, but once you've gone to a couple dozen or so, you know your area enough to pick and choose.

An estate sale is when someone dies, moves to a nursing home or occasionally a nasty divorce and everything, I mean everything, down to the last can in the pantry, the curtains from the living room, appliances, kitchen goods, furniture, clothes, and occasionally even a car, gets sold. Often the house is to be sold as well. These sales are where vintage clothes, entire sewing room contents, great china and the best pots & pans are acquired for pennies on the dollar.

I once bought several yards of uncut moire taffeta at a sale. When I unrolled it to measure how much I had gotten exactly the original sales receipt fell out. It had been purchased in Berlin in 1941. I saved the receipt, the taffeta became a Abigail Adams costume for my daughter.
Unread 09-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
vulcan ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
These sales are where vintage clothes, entire sewing room contents, great china and the best pots & pans are acquired for pennies on the dollar.
Jealous. I only been to one estate which was this summer. Everything was overpriced. The workers were trying to sell nick nacks for $20 or more dollars.
vulcan ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #14
Penlowe

Yeah, the bigger the city the better the market and more reasonably priced the goods. small towns are at the mercy of whoever is there.
Unread 09-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Not everyone can easily hop in a car/take a bus and go to a fabric store. The one store in my city has a crap selection and my regular go-to places are one and two hours away.

I've used all kinds of stores, from eBay to fabric.com to etsy. I even once used this very little known online shop to buy lace, I can't even remember the name of the shop right now. You have to be able to tell if a store is reliable or not, and if their photos look trustworthy in terms of color. E-mail the store if possible to ask any questions. And of course factor in shipping costs, and try to buy everything you need at once so you don't have to pay shipping each time.

2014 plans:
TGS2014 - Zhurong (DW8) and fem!Kotetsu (Tiger&Bunny)
BIGBANG Concert - Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
Winter Comiket - ???

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote