Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

Homura Magical Dress Fabric Selection

So my girlfriend has been after me to make her Homura's magical dress for a while (and I agreed as long as she's willing to put up with some Monogatari crossover jokes). I found a pattern on DA and we're certainly not arguing over that.

What we're hung up on is fabric choice. She *usually* doesn't care and will use whatever-the-hell is most affordable. I'm the other end of the spectrum--screw the cost, it has to look correct (this is why I'm dreading the bill for my FFXI White Mage).

I thought of twill, drill, and broadcloth...and I just outwardly cannot come to a solid conclusion.

Part of me thinks the top (and maybe the skirt) should be wool suiting fabric (to match the idea that it's loosely based on a blazer-style uniform). Another part says twill all around, and yet another part says drill skirt, something else for the top.

And people wonder why I never get anything done...

Basically, I'm asking for an opinion oh what fans would consider 'accurate' since...y'know...SHAFT (and anime in general) doesn't really tell us these things.

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Bard and Dragoon
KOTSProps is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Pictures will help folks out with giving opinions here -- don't assume people know a series or character.
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

Uh-oh, I've been away from this forum long enough to forget the unwritten rules. 失礼します
Still, the series is relatively famous (and there's that Haruhi vs Madoka thing...). So forgive me for assuming a large chunk of anime fans are at least familiar with the characters after the shipload of praise the series has gotten...

Okay, okay. Cynical comments tend to do me (or anyone else) much good. So I want and dug up the pattern itself. Credit to Hollitaima. She has several others up for those interested, btw.

http://hollitaima.deviantart.com/art...raft-367999190

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
Unread 12-06-2014, 02:12 AM   #4
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

When my group did Madoka stuff we used the wrong side of a satin for the skirt with chiffon ruffles and a stretch cotton sateen for both the shirts and collars~(:
Hope that helps! (:
Unread 12-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #5
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
When my group did Madoka stuff we used the wrong side of a satin for the skirt with chiffon ruffles and a stretch cotton sateen for both the shirts and collars~(:
Hope that helps! (:
I'll give that some thought, though I've personally never been a fan of using satin or sateen for anything. This is ultimately an ideological debate, I guess--does it have to be shiny to be mahou-shoujou, or would it be more subdued? To use another series as an example, I find Sailor Scouts done in shiny fabrics to look kind of cheap.

The whole twill thing (especially for the skirt) comes to my mind just because twill (and it's heavier cousin drill) tend to be the uniform skirt fabric of choice. Granted, we're talking anime here and pretty much anything goes in terms of interpretation. I'm pretty sure SHAFT didn't get that specific. We've also discussed linen for the top since this is something for spring/summer (we hardly ever do anything in winter), so there's that option too, I guess. The school uniforms WOULD be linen, I suppose, but that's not what I'm making -.-

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
Unread 12-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Penlowe

drill or trigger for the bodice, I just don't see the cost of wool being worthwhile. you can definitely get away with broadcloth for the skirt, it does press nicely for those crisp pleats.

As to your comment about assuming anime fans would know the character, well they probably do. The thing you are not realizing is this site and cosplay has grown WAY beyond anime, there are tons of people here who know little to nothing of it, but can give sewing or armor building advice all day long, like me. My background is in art history and fashion history. I was dressing for Renn Faire when you were in diapers :waves cane: :looks over her glasses at you: (I'm just kidding around, no idea how old you are, just trying to make a point in a funny way).
Unread 12-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTSProps View Post
I'll give that some thought, though I've personally never been a fan of using satin or sateen for anything. This is ultimately an ideological debate, I guess--does it have to be shiny to be mahou-shoujou, or would it be more subdued? To use another series as an example, I find Sailor Scouts done in shiny fabrics to look kind of cheap.

The whole twill thing (especially for the skirt) comes to my mind just because twill (and it's heavier cousin drill) tend to be the uniform skirt fabric of choice. Granted, we're talking anime here and pretty much anything goes in terms of interpretation. I'm pretty sure SHAFT didn't get that specific. We've also discussed linen for the top since this is something for spring/summer (we hardly ever do anything in winter), so there's that option too, I guess. The school uniforms WOULD be linen, I suppose, but that's not what I'm making -.-
I'm a big fan of satin and sateen if you pick the right ones. Other wise yes it can be cheap. However good quality satins and sateens will have a sheen rather than a shine, if that makes sense.

Another thing I'd suggest is to look at other people's Homura cosplays and find what you like and don't like about theirs. That's generally how I choose materials.
I don't have my reference file any more but here are some costumes that we based our material choices on, hopefully they'll be of some help to see what you like or don't. (:
[1] [2] [3 (I liked this one alot and is why I went with a satin)] [Here's what our ended up looking like]

(Side note; I agree wool would be a little too much for this costume, but a twill would be great~ It looks like a lot of these are cotton, twill or a generic poly blend)
Unread 12-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
As to your comment about assuming anime fans would know the character, well they probably do.
Actually, no. The problems with the first post are:
(1) there are characters named Homura that are NOT the one in Madoka Magica,
(2) OP made no mention whatsoever of the series name to identify it as that particular Homura,
(3) Homura from Madoka Magica has multiple outfits now, and
(4) the costume was called a "dress", and Homura's default costume is not something I would remotely think of as a dress because it looks like school uniform separates.

So, despite being familiar with that particular costume the OP intended to talk about, I couldn't really identify it without a picture. I was going to reply to this post once the image was supplied, but the OP's shitty attitude about it changed my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTSProps
I'll give that some thought, though I've personally never been a fan of using satin or sateen for anything. This is ultimately an ideological debate, I guess--does it have to be shiny to be mahou-shoujou, or would it be more subdued?
Sateen is not shiny. It's 100% cotton.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Auragale
Tea addict

I'm always a fan of broadcloth and twill.. I find they're easy to work with and they look nice :3

In fact, I think my friend wound up choosing something called galaxy twill for her Homura cosplay and she has quite a bit of experience in the sewing department. The downfall is yeah.. it can get expensive... I chose the same fabric when I was making Kaiba's battle city coat and spent more than I'd like to admit @_@. Looked fantastic though
Auragale is offline   Reply With Quote