visionary

"sleeve" arm wrap tut work for feet?

https://ohicosplay.tumblr.com/post/8...ally-using-arm

was thinking of making foot wraps using this method
will it work the same or is there something that dont translate well

want to know for future referance aswell

but since im planing to use a ragedy pos shirt, for a one time deal next week
should i just make it a long strip and just wrap it

... would basting spray help hold it together for a day (posibly 3)

disclaimer, im not an expert i simply add in "my 2 cents", which for the most part is valid advice, or atleast "sound in theory", having a second opinion is always a safe bet

projects
geta, complete, but remaking
paper sword 1, complete
paper shield, in progress
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

It's an interesting tutorial but I can see about five ways to do it better without all the extra stitching.

The problem with one long strip that you wrap around - and I say this from experience, wrapping Hiei's arm many times over - is that it doesn't STAY. The movement of your arm or leg causes the layers to rub against one another and eventually they fall down and you're left constantly re-wrapping the thing all day long. Spiral wrap is good in theory, and for a short wearing, probably would work, but if you're wearing it all day, it becomes a pain in the ass. So, creating a slip-on sleeve for arms or legs is a really smart idea.

But then, there's a problem you have to work with: arms and legs flex, so yes, the tutorial is right that a stretch fabric - especially for the under-layer which becomes your pull-on sleeve - is the way to go. But attaching ANY fabric, stretch or woven, to that pull-on piece means you have to use stretchable stitches. Slapping the strips down with a regular woven-length stitch means the fabric may want to stretch, but the stitches won't, and you're gonna have a bad time. Also learned this the hard way. You either need to hand-stitch, spot-stitch (only sew in a couple of spots around the circumference of the body part), or stretch-stitch those pieces.

I also aesthetically don't like the method in the tutorial because it leaves big ugly stitches along the length of every single strip. I've been working on a bandage shirt using a similar method, creating the shirt out of fleshtone mesh and spot-stitching the bandages by hand so the shirt will still stretch and give with my body, but I haven't finished it so I can't attest to the right or wrong way to actually do the sewing yet.

That said, in theory, you can use that technique for leg wraps. Feet? Well, you'll want to work at making a sock pattern to cover your foot, it's a VERY different shape from whatever tube goes around your arm or leg and covering it in strips is going to be an exercise in frustration, but in theory that's how you would do it.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #3
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

deleted previos*

ok, it took trying it to realize that it wont have the ... definition? that i want

i probably knew this before, and didnt do it earlier for this reason

disclaimer, im not an expert i simply add in "my 2 cents", which for the most part is valid advice, or atleast "sound in theory", having a second opinion is always a safe bet

projects
paper sword 1, complete

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 07-17-2016 at 01:06 AM.
Unread 07-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Penlowe

Agree with CC, not the tute I'd use.

My big question is: the actual FOOT? or just the lower leg/ shin area? If it's shin a (better) permanent wrap tute will work, feet proper, no.

I'm a newish knitter, the thing I really want to make for myself is socks. Did you know there are about 100 ways to knit the heel? not an exaggeration almost 100 different ways to knit the rigid right angle, flexible, impact taking part of the body.... It's intimidating to say the least.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

yea i mean the actual foot, as to replace having to wear sandles or socks

atm i just finished trying to square up the geta i made last winter
(they were slanted a bit and caused some balance issues)

gona walk about in the backyard for a few mins

*edit, trial walk with geta seems promising, for the osasion i may want to wear them
just need better strings (paracord kinda sux) need something "softer"

as much as im asking for cosplay purposes
im still in need of a permenant footwear solution
(wish for indestructable socks for summer and winter)
cause even sandles sit on my feet wrong and are incredibly uncomfortabel
(ive compensated by geting 3 sizes too big, but that is only working with the brand model
i own right now, others are still really f'd up feeling)

projects
paper sword 1, complete

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 07-17-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Unread 07-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
Penlowe

I'm assuming the shape of traditional tabi socks is uncomfortable for you or bought ones are just really the wrong shape for your feet. Kwik Sew or Green Pepper brand (I forget which one, similar design styles in their art) has a "slipper sock" pattern intended to be sewn from fleece. This might be a better place for you to start.

As to the paracord, ouch, yes that nylon round cord would be miserable BUT you might be able to cover it with a softer 100% cotton yarn to retain it's strength but soften the feel.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Yarn-Covered-Hangers/
You can use that technique on darn near anything you can easily manipulate a hook around, including rope or cord. I did this in 2nd grade as a Girl Scout, so it's not hard. But I definitely recommend 100% cotton, no nylon, acrylic or wool for this, it'll make a big difference. Personally I'm a big fan of Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Cotton" (once you touch it you'll understand) and it's about $5 a ball, which should be enough yarn to do 3-4 pairs of sandals in that technique.
Unread 07-19-2016, 01:00 AM   #7
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

i actually havnet worn tabi yet, i thought about it,
but since the only reason i wear socks is to keep my feet clean around the house
or warm in the winter (though my feet sweat and get cold anyways)
cause even in dead of winter i wear sandles and socks would only get wet

so i couldnt justify the cost or effort to get some
also i hate that socks are designed to cover a range of sizes
im sorry but a sock for a size 6 does NOT feel awesome on a size 12 foot
ive been getting big and talls, sized for 13-15 but even those are "stretch to fit"
(its all very stupid as i have size 9.5w and 10w feet (mens))

ill keep making a crochet yube pading in mind

but since im not using traditional hanao (thongs)
im drilled an extra set of rear holes and am running a pattern
to secure them around my ankles so that they dont slide
and im using 8ft of cordage

so making a tube would be a bit more time consumming than id like

i did try a hanao at first, made from apron strings and the sleeves from my hawain shirt
but even modding for an ankle strap didnt keep them on good

projects
paper sword 1, complete
Unread 07-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
Penlowe

Quote:
i hate that socks are designed to cover a range of sizes
This is exactly why I want to knit my own socks. I have muscular calves, much more so than the average woman who wears the same size shoe as me. I love knee socks under boots and in the winter but cannot buy any that actually fit my calves :/