Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 08-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #1
Hera_

Need a pattern for an Ahri (LOL) costume

Hi all,

I have no idea how to design my own patterns etc, and need a pattern for this dress. I tried to modify one myself, and it turned out horrible. I'm even willing to pay for someone to draft one for me at this stage.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a pattern, or someone I can commission to draft one for me. For modesty purposes it can be a bit longer than the pictures.

Thanks <3

Ahri Era of Glamour by Loiza

Alice - Alice: Madness Returns (Oz Comic Con Melbourne)
C.C. - Code Geass (AVCon Adelaide)
Sansa Stark - Game of Thrones (Supanova Adelaide, Armageddon Melbourne)
Upcoming Cosplays
Jane - Daria (unknown convention)
Hera_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
Penlowe

This isn't horrible modification for a beginner, but it is challenging. I think you can do it, don't give up

I hope you aren't thinking you can support the weight of all those tails on such a tiny dress, because that goes against the laws of physics. Build a belt to go under the dress first to support the tails, make your wire armatures too before starting the dress.

You need to start with your basic strapless, princess seamed party dress that has boning.
http://www.simplicity.com/p-11715-mi...ollection.aspx 1416 if it doesn't link properly.
To do the deep plunge I'd do a muslin first (any trash fabric, it doesn't have to be muslin proper). Construct the outer layer & zipper, tailor it to yourself, draw where the plunge needs to go, add a seam allowance. Decide if you are going to use boning, sheer mesh or fishing line straps to keep the dress on after cutting the deep plunge. Try that on your muslin. Come back and ask specific questions as you go where you need help.

Jacket: here's the collar you need: http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v906...hp?page_id=865 V9065
Sleeves aren't easy to fake, but any straight sleeve should fit that fairly easily.
Unread 08-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Hera_

It's just the dress I need, I've completed the jacket, and have already started the belt tails and armour

I've tried to modify a pattern myself, with my mum who is a million times better at sewing then me and it didn't work, which is why I need a pattern to follow I can work out things in my head, but can't translate it to page.

I might show mum that pattern and see what we can do with it.

Thanks
Upcoming Cosplays
Unread 08-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
Penlowe

well what did you do that "didn't work". we can help if we can see it or get a more specific description of the problem. did it fall off? was it all wrinkly in the middle? did it stay up but not cover your boobs?
Unread 08-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
well what did you do that "didn't work". we can help if we can see it or get a more specific description of the problem.
I agree with Penlowe. Let us help you by you helping us with the situation that you need. Please describe what it is that you're needing the dress to do and what it's doing that's causing you a problem.

Before you go any further on your dress, I suggest of drawing it out on paper and see what could be the issue. Sometimes just mapping something out on paper makes a huge difference. Whether it's drawing it out or writing it down on paper helps give the overall perspective and maybe an idea will hit you to fix it or how to draft it.

We do know that creating a pattern from scratch isn't easy sometimes, trust us on this, we know from personal experience, but it's not an unachievable goal. I mean, where do you think that half of our blood, sweat, and tears went towards? It just takes time, patience, and a little monuvering here and there just to get the job done.

Anyway, good luck to you. We know you can figure it out

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
Magyarita
Profound Historical Youth

If the cleavage is something you're having a hard time with, with no other knowledge of your situation, here is what I recommend. (Advice may change upon knowing further information.)

1. Lots of nice strong fashion tape to keep it in place.
2. Using a thin fabric that matches your skin tone to go in the cleavage area, to give you fake cleavage.

Vault Boy -- Fallout
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Daenerys Targaryen (Dothraki outfit): GoT
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2015, 03:27 AM   #7
Hera_

Basically the design sat mostly fine at the front (the zip area was a bit crinkly) but didn't sit nicely at the back (way too big). The front needed some boning or something to help keep the shape. I don't need fake cleavage as I already have plenty myself (in AUS sizing, it's a 14D, so not small at all!) keeping it in place is always fun!

Again, I'm really just looking for a very similar pattern to follow or someone who is happy to draw one up for me because I don't have strong pattern changing skills, and unfortunately I don't have the time to do it either.
Thanks
Upcoming Cosplays
Unread 08-03-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
Penlowe

Quote:
but didn't sit nicely at the back (way too big)
That's a tailoring issue, no pattern is going to be perfect. It's also a very fixable issue without having to start over!!
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...tterns-for-fit
you have to register on the site to get the full article but it is worth it!! I've been a subscriber for years and I keep every issue because there isn't a single one that is useless.