Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 09-18-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
kenshin-chan64
Titillating Tuba Player

Dye suede leather?

So I found this jacket at the thrift store today that was the perfect silhouette for what I needed. Unfortunately it wasnt the right color, but I figured 'no biggie'; it's a light tan and I need a medium brown, I'll just dye it!
That is until I was home and doing my ritual 'washing the thrift store smell out of these clothes' when I noticed that the jacket's tag said "100% Leather"...uh-oh.

I'm still in love with this jacket and still need to dye it so here I am asking how one can dye a leather jacket successfully? I'm assuming it is a suede leather, as the material is that fuzzy soft, which is why it didnt cross my mind that it would be real leather. Would standard RIT dye work? Should I use iPoly? Is there a super special different dye out there that I need to use instead least I destroy and splotch the jacket? I've never dealt with dyeing anything other than cotton.

.... (\/)
.... (. . )_ ....~ Friday ~ 4-8-10
< # cc , _),
kenshin-chan64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
Penlowe

Leather dye is alcohol based, not acid based like fabric dyes. Therefore no, RIT and iDyePoly will not be suitable, but it is indeed dyeable. Chances are slim that you have a Tandy store in your city (there aren't many brick & mortars version left) but their website is full of good stuff including dyes and instructions. leather dyeing is different from fabric dyeing in that it's really easy to get too dark too fast (complete opposite of fabric) so as your leather already has color, keep that in mind and buy a shade lighter than you want so the stacked colors will come out right. like fabric dyeing, once it's dyed, there is no going back.
Unread 09-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Real leather = real leather dye. It does exist.

You want to be careful with suede, though, because the nap of suede (the fuzziness) causes it to soak up liquids a lot more quickly, including dye. You have to be very cautious with your application so you don't end up accidentally dyeing it too dark, because once the nap soaks up that dye, it's never coming out. Very light coats, and like Penlowe suggested, choose a shade lighter than you think you want. Check, though, using plain water in an inconspicuous place, to make sure there's no waterproofing sealant on the leather, because if there is? You're screwed. Nothing will color it. The suede should accept the water, and then naturally dry in the air, the water should not bead or run off the surface.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
kenshin-chan64
Titillating Tuba Player

Oh wow, that product will have me dabbing the whole thing with a cotton swab. Guess I better get started now. A bit bummed that I cant dunk it to dye, but oh well!
Thank you for the information and warnings, guys!

.... (\/)
.... (. . )_ ....~ Friday ~ 4-8-10
< # cc , _),
kenshin-chan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Them's the breaks, really. Sadly, no, you can't dip-dye, because the jacket I suppose probably has some kind of lining which IS fabric...and that can't be dyed with the leather dye.

Well, you can get the leather dye on it. It'll stain the fabric lining. But it won't be permanent. It would probably be a sad disaster, so yeah, if you want to dye leather, it's a very slow and painstaking process. Of course, you don't HAVE to use the swab that comes with the dye, if you want to experiment with other sponges or brushes to see if you can apply the leather dye in larger swathes. But there's always a risk that a sponge or brush may not pick up the dye, or it may leave brush marks, blots/pools of dye, etc, so as with the water, if you're going to test something out, test it somewhere inconspicuous just in case.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
belligerent
Viking Metal

Fiebing's makes dye especially for suede, although I haven't tried to dye anything huge with it:
http://www.amazon.com/Oz%252e-Fiebin...ords=suede+dye

It doesn't do to the nap of the suede what regular leather dye does. Also you still can't dip dye it.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago

Last edited by belligerent : 09-19-2014 at 07:35 PM.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote