Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 06-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
MR. FEARS
Just stabbed my hand...

How to lighten colour of dyed fabric

Hiya! I dyed a light blue coat and piece of twill fabric, but the result of the dying was far too dark. I tried using some some Rit pre-dye powder to reduce the colour, but there was no change. The instructions said to wash the pre-dye powder with the fabric at 90C, but as the washing temp of the coat was 40C, and as the coat has a polyester lining, I thought that it would cause the coat to shrink and have an over-large lining. Should I risk trying to use the pre-dye again at 90C, or can anybody recommend any different products or methods to either lighten the colour or remove it so I can re-dye the coat and fabric? Any help is greatly appreciated ^_^

Unread 06-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Penlowe

nope, sorry, dyed is dyed. Not trying to be mean but it's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. You might be able to wash it with lots of detergent several times as Rit isn't the most stable dye, but no guarantees.

Lesson you have learned: watch the dye process like a hawk, frequently pulling it out to check the color intensity. The lighter the color needed, the more it needs to be checked.
Unread 06-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
AllonsyDarling

Penlowe is right, once something is dyed, it's really hard to fade it. Pre-dying powder, dye remover, color remover... they're all very fickle and sometimes, they entirely change the color, not fade it. I had a blue sweater I was trying to fade so I could dye it grey, and it turned peach. At least it was a pale enough peach that I could dye it. The best advice I have is to wash it repeatedly. You could try leaving it out in the sun to fade it, but it won't be very even.
Ravenclaw Student (Harry Potter) - 70%
AllonsyDarling is offline   Reply With Quote