Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 05-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #136
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

A JoAnn 1986 Sonata. Awesome machine, works pretty well...

And my newest addition, a 1952 Singer machine. Just got it today, it's super swanky and practically brand spanking new. It was apparently bought but never used. Haven't used it yet but I expect good thing since I've heard great things about older Singers~

For the Future:
True Form Midna - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen

Last edited by Reily96 : 05-20-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Reily96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #137
effacent
manga junkie

I have a 45 year old Viking 6000 that actually works quite well! I also have a small Janome, but havent used it as much lately (mainly because it is in NYC and I presently am not)
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #138
EJade

I have my late great-grandmother's old New Home model 661. I'm new to sewing and I have no idea what I'm doing but hopefully I'll figure something out. I really want to learn how to use the thing.
EJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #139
Penlowe

EJade, New Home was the early name of Janome, a very good machine!
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #140
redsheep

1980's Kenmore. That thing is a tank, but pretty hard to re-thread.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #141
Blackcap

Hmmm where do I start? My oldest machine is a Singer model 27, an old fashioned treadle machine! It's mostly for decoration (unless the power is out LOL). My main workhorse is my old Singer 237 which is from the late 60's. I nicknamed her "Cinderella" because I liberated her from my hubby's evil stepmother. I also have 2 sergers - a White 7934 which is a great basic little 3/4 thread overlock machine, but lately I have been spending more time with my Viking Huskylock 936. I hope to learn how to use the coverstitch soon. I sew mainly for my every day wardrobe so I have quite a fleet!
Blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #142
Mademoiselle
Resident Gravity Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcap View Post
Hmmm where do I start? My oldest machine is a Singer model 27, an old fashioned treadle machine! It's mostly for decoration (unless the power is out LOL).
Yay, a fellow treadler!

I've got two 27s myself, one electrified that I use all the time (named Emily) and my great-grandmother's that's still a regular treadle. I've also got two 66s, a Minnesota Model C, and a Damascus all of which are still normal treadles. I think I may have a slight problem, especially since Emily's the only one functional at the moment. >.>
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #143
WeskerFanGirl

I'm planning on getting my first sewing machine soon. I want to make primarily a cape. I don't know much about sewing (I plan to take lessons), can anyone recommend me a machine?
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #144
AtelierV

I use a Bernina 630e. It's a combination machine that can do embroidery, stuff like this.
AtelierV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #145
MookieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by effacent View Post
I have a 45 year old Viking 6000 that actually works quite well! I also have a small Janome, but havent used it as much lately (mainly because it is in NYC and I presently am not)
I have one too! Viking 6430, the best machine ive ever used! Honestly the older machine are the best because they are made of metal and not plastic. The Viking one i have can sew threw layers of thick fabric. The presser foot can be adjusted for the fabric thickness. Its an awesome machine. I'd say go with either an old Viking or Bernina. Of all the sewing machines ive bought or used, thosed two brands have been the best.I'd say NEVER BUY A BRAND NEW SINGER. THEY ARE CRAP. They break down all the time and singer just sucks nowadays. All they have is their name to rely on.
MookieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #146
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave

I just bought my first machine ever a while ago. It's a Pfaff select 3.0. I couldn't test it yet, but what the shop assistant showed me was pretty amazing

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #147
MakoStorm
Floridian Cosplayer

I use the Brother Project Runway Machine from walmart that goes for 15o I think? XD I love it to death. It comes with alot of different pressure feet you can use and handles projects big and small so easily. It can go through thick stuff so easily too! My friend and I tried it out before we bought ours and it sews through 6 layers of pleather without missing a beat. Thick pleather too! It hasn't failed me in the past year and is still going strong <3 Couldn't be happier!
MakoStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #148
strawintogold

So I haven't started learning to sew yet - I bought Sewing for Dummies and the Reader's Digest sewing books to get me started - but I wanted to know what kind of machine I should look into buying. I'm hoping for something a little more on the inexpensive side, but that can handle thinner, leather-like material (I'm against using animal hide, so something faux but similar for Lightning from FFXIII's belt work, gloves and bag). I was looking at a few supposed "heavy duty" Singers on amazon, but the reviews weren't so good and the reviewers claimed they were not heavy duty at all.

So! Any machine recommendations?
strawintogold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #149
Cave

I have a New Home JA 1518. I got it from my mom who only ever used it for a few things here and there. I'm not sure how old it is but it has some years on it since it has the old Janome name.

My mom had a lot of trouble with it, I think mostly due to lack of knowledge. It's worked fine for me, but I don't know much about sewing machines. ^^
Cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #150
Falclon

I have a Kenmore from the 70s. My grandpa bought it from a garage sale in the 80s and gave it to my mom, who gave it to me a while back. It's pretty old but works great. I can sew leather and fur on it no problem. ^.^

Unfortunately it's mounted into a table so I will soon need to buy a sewing machine that is more mobile. Does anyone have suggestions? I've heard that the new machines are pretty pricey to get ones that can handle leather and such, but I don't want to feel limited with the new one (I'll still be able to use my Kenmore but only when I'm at home). Should I just try to find another old one that's in good shape? There's a store nearby me that appears to sell vintage machines, I've just never been inside. It would be neat to have a machine that could do decorative stitching or embroidery, basically something my current one can't (though according to my mom it does do some decorative stitching).

Also I will be getting a serger soon. Recommendaions on that would be great as well.