Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #166
iamthelain

Currently I have a mid 1970's Vintage Singer fasion mate 360 that I got from a friend who works part time at a industrial sewing machine repair shop. He gave It a full over haul and threw in a bunch of extras for only $60. Its a good solid machine, lots of metal vs. plastic. My friend just called me last week and told me his boss has a used but mint rebuilt Juki free motion machine for sale for $300. While I would love to get my hands on a industrial Juki, a free motion machine is kinda only good for quilting from what I understand. I was also hoping that if I were to ever buy a industrial machine it would be for leather, I just love leather.

Unread 01-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #167
Mademoiselle
Resident Gravity Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthelain View Post
I was also hoping that if I were to ever buy a industrial machine it would be for leather, I just love leather.
Actually, a lot of the older Singers can handle leather well enough as long as it's not too thick. I'm not sure when they stopped being able to handle it, you could always (carefully) test yours to see. I've run leather through my treadle a few times with no issues.
Unread 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #168
cpumroy

Right now I'm using a Singer Inspiration 4210 and just received a second-hand Singer ProFinish 14CG744 overlock/serger as a belated birthday/Christmas present. If you're a serious sewer, you know the magic of a serger.

The Inspiration is a really sort of basic machine, and gets the job done, but the tension can be REALLY temperamental. I've done everything from super light organzas to drapery-weight cotton twill on this thing and it's still going strong.

I haven't bust into the ProFinish yet to use it, just to bask in the new-machine smell.
cpumroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #169
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

I am head-over-heals in love with the Viking Ruby.
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #170
Talossa
We try hardcore!

I've got a Viking Emerald 118 that I absolutely adore. It's a great workhorse and takes just about everything I can throw at it. It seriously will eat through 4 layers of heavy vinyl like the fabric's not even there, and I do a decent amount of things with vinyl.

It's not computerized and doesn't have loads of crazy stitching options, but I've never had anything that I wanted to do on it and couldn't. I'm particularly fond of the automatic buttonholer.

I'm definitely glad I went with this model!
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #171
CuteMiku

I am torn between purchasing a used JUKI HZL-35Z on amazon for 105 or so dollars or pay 30 dollars more for a new Juki HZL-27Z. I feel like i should get the JUKI HZL-35Z I just don't like buying used things. Any help would be appreciated.
CuteMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #172
Senevilla

Right now I have my grandmother's Husqvarna Viking 980. She was a professional seamstress, and made wedding dresses for a living. It's really nice, and has more stitches than I would even know what to do with. Unfortunately, time has finally taken it's toll on my little Viking, and it refuses to do anything more than a basic, straight stitch. The part that feeds the fabric into the needle area even stopped working! It still works pretty well (once you get used to hand feeding it) for simple projects, but that's about it. It has too much sentimental value to just throw it out, but I really need a new machine! XD

Anyone know of a really nice sewing machine that could replace my Viking? I'd be willing to save for all eternity if it meant the machine was as good (or *gasp* better!) than my Viking.
Senevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #173
Mademoiselle
Resident Gravity Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senevilla View Post
Unfortunately, time has finally taken it's toll on my little Viking, and it refuses to do anything more than a basic, straight stitch. The part that feeds the fabric into the needle area even stopped working!
I'm sure you probably have, but did you try oiling the crap out of it? I've freed up a lot of stuck machines with just some WD-40, oil, and an air compressor to blow the dust out of it. See if you can get access to the areas that aren't working (the feed dog would be my starting point) and oil everything metal in sight. Let it sit for awhile and see if you can get it to move. If that doesn't work, try WD-40. Just know that after using something like WD-40 you'll need to re-oil those areas once they're free.
Unread 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #174
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

I don't sew much, since I personally hate my mother's White 1666 from the mid-90s. Thing likes to jam, snap needles at inconvenience times, etc.

I picked up a Singer 15-90/91--I didn't take the housing off to check for a belt-drive or direct drive...only difference between the two--for $60, with the cabinet it was sold with (by the serial number) in 1953. While it probably didn't need mechanical work, I took it to the shop anyways to have it rewired. 60 year old wiring insulation tends to be dry and cracked, and a cast-iron machine could go live on me.

I'm planning on picking up a Brother SE400 for embroidery work and little things the 15 can't do (Note to self: I need to find a zig zag attachment for the Singer...they DO exist) like button holes, overlocks, etc...though I might be better off with a serger. Thoughts?

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Bard and Dragoon
KOTSProps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #175
Senevilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademoiselle View Post
I'm sure you probably have, but did you try oiling the crap out of it? I've freed up a lot of stuck machines with just some WD-40, oil, and an air compressor to blow the dust out of it. See if you can get access to the areas that aren't working (the feed dog would be my starting point) and oil everything metal in sight. Let it sit for awhile and see if you can get it to move. If that doesn't work, try WD-40. Just know that after using something like WD-40 you'll need to re-oil those areas once they're free.
Actually, no! I haven't tried that! I'll be sure to give it a go - I'l do just about anything to save my little Viking.

I had to fixed professionally a while ago, but he could only fix the basic stitches. I'm bringing it in again later this month, but hopefully now I won't have to! (or at least be able to use it for a little longer.)

Thanks so much!
Senevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #176
Mademoiselle
Resident Gravity Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senevilla View Post
Actually, no! I haven't tried that! I'll be sure to give it a go - I'l do just about anything to save my little Viking.

I had to fixed professionally a while ago, but he could only fix the basic stitches. I'm bringing it in again later this month, but hopefully now I won't have to! (or at least be able to use it for a little longer.)

Thanks so much!
You're welcome. Just be careful around any electrical elements.

If you can't get it yourself and want to try someone else, I've heard some JoAnn's offer sewing machine repair if there's one in your area. Myself I've never taken a machine to them because I've got a guy who normally does vacuum repairs that does work on them for me if I can't get it myself. (Plus I don't think JoAnn's would know what to do with my old machine if I took it to them. )
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #177
SurjeetSingh
Banned

I use a Pfaff Creative 1471. It's 25 Yrs old, and I burned up the motor about a year and a half ago. It took me that long to find a replacement, but I finally found one and my husband installed it last week. I feel like I went back to heaven! I was using a basic singer in the interim, but it was so loud and clunky. My Pfaff purrs like a kitten! Pfaff is my favorite brand, but I like Bernina, too. Good luck with your new machine!
SurjeetSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #178
Khorrupt

I have a Singer Simple 3116. It does it's job, although I've recently found out that the clunky sound and the frequent jamming aren't actually my fault, but because apparently this wasn't Singer's best model...

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #179
Irarenovo
cheesecake!

sooo I've had the Brother CS6000I for about... 7 years now. It's held up pretty well until the last year or so.. started making knocking noises [ignorable for the most part] and now none of the electronic bits work.. wont let me use the reverse function, change stitches.. all I can do is sew a straight line >_<

theeennn I thought I got lucky! Coworker gave me an old singer-- turned out to be a Touch and Sew 620... later I googled it to find the nickname is "curse and throw"... 2 weeks into sewing and the bobbin wont move. I re-oiled it, but after more googling for similar issues, I found that it's a common issue--- sits in a house for 30 years, start it up and it's fantastic!!-- then the plastic gears snap and its GG.

Which leads me to my question-- I want to sew vinyl, denim, pleather and stretch. The closest I'll go to embroidery is applique[so I dont need crazy stitches].. and I would LOVE a QUIET machine.... any recommendations? I'd like to go 1k or less, but I want quality if I'm spending over 200--- BUT there's no machine stores conveniently close to me.. so if you need to go to a dealer it's kind of out :\ I'll order online though.
Irarenovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #180
KidXister

Brother, I can't tell you the model off hand. I really like this machine, better then my old singer. It has all the same features it just works better then the old one ever did.
KidXister is offline   Reply With Quote