Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #31
Luellen
RuRu

I have a brother sewing machine SE270D and 1034D serger(on the way home). I like my brother SE270D.Its easy to thread and work with. I also bought a Kenmore 16231 while I moved back with my parents for couple years and sold it when I moved back to mainland.
I like that Kenmore too.Its cheap(below $200) and very simple,easy to thread.I think its perfect for first time sewer.
Luellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #32
meevist
Satirical Hipster

I use a Memory Craft 4800 from Janome from the 90s. It works great, only a few minor problems with thread jamming occasionally but nothing major. My mom used to sew ball gowns back in the day, so it has a lot of fancy embroidery stitches. It's nice to have those stitches just in case I want to embellish something in the future.
Unread 09-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #33
MythrilDragon
Psy...duck?

I bought a Janome MyStyle 100 earlier this year and I've been using it pretty often for the past couple of months. It cost around $200 I think, and is a very user-friendly machine, especially for a beginner like me. It's not very loud and it runs very smoothly.
While putting together my Kyoshi Warrior Suki costume, I've run it through a few layers of upholstery vinyl (at some point up to 4 depending on how it's folded in some places) and it generally went right through with no problems and still made clean and sturdy stitches.

From this experience, I'd recommend this machine. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles (which I guess is a good thing in some ways, less to break and it makes you do more for yourself instead of letting the machine do everything) and it's not very expensive.
MythrilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #34
Narnian
Secret Ninja Princess

I use a 1970s Kenmore sensor sewing machine. It's an old sewing machine but it's one of the best. Every now and then I have to adjust it to get it sew right, but I totally love it. It'll sew slippery and hard to sew fabrics like satin and vinal like a dream.
Natsu (SCV)/Christa (AoT)/Tsubaki (SE)

~Con Plans~
Sakura-con 2014/Fanime 2014

Cosplay reference photos. Please do not hotlink.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #35
squ33k t0y

I use the Brother LS-1520. It was a $99 machine, but it does the job. I've had it for about..9 years, I believe? But it still works just as well as it did new. I've never had it serviced, just have cleaned/oiled it a few times. Though it could probably use a tension adjustment eventually. After sewing for long periods of time in one sitting, the tension can kind of go out of wack. But I believe that's true for many machines. (As lead to believe by those ladies I had to fill out the servicing paperwork for while I used to work at a fabric store.) But other than holding up well, it's also an easy machine to use. I mean, I was about 10 when I first got it.

Brother has since come out with newer versions, but I would trust they would have the same quality. Many of which are still within the the prices of $90-$140.

I'm actually thinking about buying a Brother serger in the near-ish future. ^^

Cosplay/Art Tumblr
squ33k t0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #36
Yukikittie

I have a 1969 Model 457 Singer Sewing Machine. Which..I don't think they sell them anymore...xD
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #37
Chokichi
Professional Commissioner

My first sewing machine was a Brother. I have always gone with them because they are sturdy and user friendly. I have one at home now and one with me in Shanghai. We used Singer at my school in San Diego, but I didn't like them as much as the Brothers. At my current school, we use some weird chinese brand and I really don't like it as much, everything is in the opposite place as my Brother so when I am sewing, I always fumble for the reverse switch and whatnot :-)
Unread 10-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #38
Tampopo_Hoshi
たんぽ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukikittie View Post
I have a 1969 Model 457 Singer Sewing Machine. Which..I don't think they sell them anymore...xD
I have the exact same thing! I got it recently and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The most I've done is thread it.
Tampopo_Hoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #39
izuosve

---

Last edited by izuosve : 06-29-2011 at 06:10 PM.
izuosve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #40
usakou

I use Neckermann..I don't know..veery old sewing machine.But really good :/
usakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #41
October Spencer

...I just bought an EasyStitcher for $30 at Michael's. As I am a college student living in a dorm, it was a good price, and it's small, so it doesn't take up too much space.

Working on:
Nezumi - No. 6
Arrietty - The Secret Life of Arrietty
October Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #42
Zetsubou-chan
Slaughter.

I use a brother LS-2000, it's really the best one out there for beginners.
I have never sewn by machine in my life and I'm glad that this thing works fine for me. XD XD XD
Zetsubou-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:52 AM   #43
Ananthema

I kid you not, I use an old fashion push peddle singer sewing machine. I find they are better for heavier fabrics. Eg. Heavy Denim, Wetsuit Material, foam rubber, canvas.

Most of my other projects is had been done on my mum's 25 year old Bernina Sewing Machine.

Completed Cosplays : Purifier (X-Men), Hellboy, Lobo
Future Cosplays : Cable (5%), Dogwelder (5%)

Last edited by Ananthema : 10-15-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Ananthema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #44
MapleCoffee
Henshin!

I have an ooold Singer that I got at a thrift shop for 20 bucks, not even kidding. (The catch was that they didn't know if it worked or not aahaha sob)

Having not touched a sewing machine for near ten years this thing was pretty easy to use. It's not too fancy, makes button holes and zig zags and all that. I dunno how old it is but I have a suspicion its at least older than me. Best purchase I ever made it works like a beast.

Con-Nooga
Hino Eiji | Kamen Rider OOO [end of series variant] | 0%
Hidari Shotaro | Kamen Rider W | 50%
MapleCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #45
principe
Cosplay in the Works.

I use a Singer Sewing Machine 2517c. It's old, but durable. DX

Youtube lovin`.

Looking for a cosplayer partner or interested in becoming my cosplay partner? Click here!
principe is offline   Reply With Quote