Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #46
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_helix View Post
My best advice is don't get caught up on features. Most sewing machines on the market simply advertise based on how many functions it can do. For example, I was channel surfing just a few days ago came across a shopping channel segment on a high end sewing machine, which I watched out of curiousity. The whole sales pitch was basically "Look at how much stuff it does!" Most of it's "cool features" would only be used every once in a blue moon by even a proflic sewer, and many of those are just "lazy" versions of things than can be done with a more basic sewing machine or by hand (which sometimes, honestly, is better).

Excuse the rant. tl;dr: bells and whistles do not a good sewing machine make.
Follow this advice.

In truth, the bells and whistles of a machine are features that are rarely used. It's going to come down to you testing the machines (if a store will let you) and asking the employees and other customers what they use/think works best. Don't go for the shiniest model because it may not work for your needs.

My machine? The Shark Eruo Pro X Dressmaker. $14.98 at Target. Feel free to make fun of it. I needed something small, portable, and able to perform simple sewing tasks, and that's what it does. I have many more years of experience with hand sewing, so for me this was a good starting machine, and it hasn't let me down yet. Sometimes it surprises me (like working with stretchy fabric)! Just look at all the stuff I made in my profile. XD Though I still feel vastly more comfortable hand sewing my work, having this baby around helps when I need it to.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #47
lexiyee_pop
Lady Lexifer

I use a Singer Stylist 834.
It's over 20 years old.
-_- I need something new.

Currently working on: Ciel's blue dress jacket --- 10% Complete
lexiyee_pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #48
lelia12
Master Procrastinator

I use our old New Home Sewing Machine Model 444. It was purchased Jan 1968. it works pretty well has its spastic moments but then we usually get my grandma to come fix it
lelia12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #49
mstoledo

I have a Janome 8077 and I LOVE it! I've used this thing to make medieval dresses as well as cosplays. What's nice is the top-loading bobbin - it is so easy and keeps the bobbin from tangling as often as a front-loader. <3 If you don't want - or can't afford - a serger, just get a machine that has a broken zig-zag stitch.
I work in a fabric store, and you can find some really nice, high-quality machines for $120 - $250.
mstoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #50
Ailovelove
Obscure cosplays ;^;

I 'use' a 35th Anniversary Brother machine. It was my great-grandmother's and older than me. Unfortunately, my grandmother was the only one that knew how to use it and the manual is nowhere to be found. Since I need to know every little detail, I'm terrified to use it, haha. The few times I have used it, it was fine, though. It probably hasn't been cleaned in years, but I couldn't tell from the way it worked.
I'm getting a newer machine for X-mas (also Brother), but I'll keep my current one. It will probably be able to sew certain fabrics better than the new model, and I assume the instructions to use it will be more-or-less the same.
Seishun-con 2012 - FORGOT ALL MY COSPLAYS
AWA 2012 - ? May or may not go.

Dream cosplay: Xelha, Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

Alabama cosplayer, here~

Ay, yo, I got a DA.
Ailovelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 02:05 AM   #51
stardust760

i suggest that because your first starting out get something more simple. that way you wont get frustrated with all the extra gits and gadgets. when you grow more then you can always upgrade. also, buy a seam ripper if you dont already have one. trust me a seam ripper is gods gift to sewers. lol keep this in mind when you do start because ive been sewing for years and this is still the case. know that especially in the beginning you and your sewing machine will probably have a love hate relationship. so take plenty of breaks lol. well anyways good luck!
stardust760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 04:38 AM   #52
darkangelxX447

I have a Brother LS2250PRW. I bought it because it was only $50 at Wal-mart. Also I was sick of using my mom's ancient sewing machine. I like how mine runs, its easy to use and only has a few stitches but all I use is zigzag and straight stitches so i'm good with my machine. I made my Eternal Sailor Moon outfit on my machine and now I am working on an anti-spiral Nia cosplay.
darkangelxX447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #53
ShadowIzanami
Overloaded >.<

I have a Brother SE-400. It sews and does embroidery as well (a function I'm getting ready to use. yay!) I used a crapy 'beginner' sewing machine for years before I finally got this one. I also still have my mother's old Singer and it words wonderfully, though it's in need of servicing right now. Which reminds me, make sure to get your machine serviced by a professional at least once a year to keep your machine working in top condition, or learn to do it properly yourself!
ShadowIzanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #54
xSilhouetteLust

I've honestly used the Singer brand ever since I was 11 or 12 and I'm 19 now..its probably not the best machine to some but I know mine wasn't that expensive compared to some and its always been working great! I dunno what model I have tho /:
xSilhouetteLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #55
InuryuVR

I own a Pfaff Tipmatic, which was made in West Germany, to show the age, it also happened to be my grandmother's old machine. I love it and it is probably the favorite of all the machines I use. In my opinion the older machines always tend to run better. I also use an old Sears machine that is my mothers' and an old Montgomery Ward machine. These old machines I can get to go through almost anything.
InuryuVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #56
Shallon
Loves Details

I have a brother SE-350 that I love. I had an old Singer that was my mom's (can't even tell you how old it is) I use to like Singer a lot but the quality has gone down over the years. I think its because they were bought out and now someone is just making some crappy machines with the Singer logo :/
Shallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #57
seg1014

I use a Singer that I got from my aunt that is from the 80s. I do suggest using Singer sewing machines because of better durability. If you can tho try to find a machine that has the main shape made of metal. Most machines are made of plastic and they can not sew stretch fabrics so just be aware when looking.
seg1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #58
Annwyn
Daisy Viktoria

I have a Janome, and it is so amazing! My mother also had a New Home (same brand) when I was younger, and it lasted as long as I remember. I love Viking too, and I've had good experiences with Singer and Brother, which make a lot of inexpensive easy-to-learn machines for beginners. The one thing you absolutely must keep in mind, no matter what brand you decide, is that you want all metal parts. No plastic, it doesn't hold up!
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #59
K1k2

Just before X-mas I bought a Singer From wall-mart.(I think its this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Sew...-2663/10992861) And have been trying to learn on it. Slow going sadly but I'm still trying. It was funny for the week up till I got it was looking on line, sending pic text to my friends back on the east coast asking "Is this a good price? Do you think its a good one to learn on?" I was so overly concerned about it, most of the just laughed about it and told me to calm down. Even better was the moms and store help that were surprised that I wanted to learn to sew and was goign to buy my own Singer, even better when I told them what it was for :-P
K1k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #60
J.Kazama
Power is everything

I have this Kenmore 19112. It's not the best machine of the world, but it helped me to make a few of my stuff. My friend also have it and she made a Courtesan (AC Brotherhood) costume with it.