Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.88 average.
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #61
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

I use a Singer Slant-O-matic 600 Series style machine from the 1960's, whats nice is it comes with multiple changeable feet, it's easy to thread and the bobbin is self wrapping. Another thing is when you sew backwards,on many machines you have to hold a lever, the lever on mine just needs to be flipped up for backwards and flipped down to continue going forward...I like the fact that I can do basically everything I need to with it and a few extra things (it has decorative stitch disks for things like Blind hems and lovely hem/seam finishes...) but if you can find a machine at a local thrift store or even some Vaccum and Sewing machine Repair shops sell them used, I've always found in my experience if you really wanna know about machines the best places to go are the repair shops. Make sure it comes with a manual though...

I picked mine up for 5 bucks from a yard sale, it's the same exact model as my mothers which I had been sewing on since I was 3 and it came with the buttonholer, all the decorative disks and all the feet plus a few extras... I got away like a bandit, so that just tells you... Keep an eye out.
There are possibly as many people out there who don't know what a sewing machine is as those that do... you never know when you'll find a bargain... the upside to getting a machine from a Retailer/Repairer of them is that you know where you can get hints and tips from reliably and you have a source for any further repairs, and the machine is possibly better upkept and clean and they might sell any little extra bits and bobbles like extra bobbins, thread or needles specific to the machine.

Also...just a warning, but many machines are made with plastic gears nowadays and are meant to be "Throwaway Machines" What I mean is that it would be more expensive to fix them than to buy a new one... So watch out for that. I try to make sure my sewing machines have more metal than plastic...

Last edited by Ichigogami : 01-24-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Ichigogami is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #62
Harra Arial
Phoenix Wright Fanatic

Oh man, I wish I knew the exact name of it, I'll ask my Auntie next time I'm off sewing at her house.

Buuut I use an old Singer that is attached to a desk and is about three times my age. (About 50-60 years old.) It runs like a charm, and I MUCH prefer it to the 1990s Kenmore I used to sew with at my house.

If anyone can get ahold of an old sewing machine that still runs, I -highly- recommend it. They run like a charm and almost never give you trouble.

That, my dears, is why life is so exciting, because we are different from one-another.

~~~

Care to get in contact with me?
HarraArial@yahoo.com
Drop me an Instant Messenge, I'd be honoured to speak with you~
Harra Arial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #63
sleeplessknight

My mom and I use a Janome DC2010 for most of my cosplays, but every now and then we have to break out her old Singer that likes to act like it's older than me lol.
sleeplessknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #64
phantomjunkie
Roxas Fangirl ^w^

I have a Brother LS2000 (also LS2020) that I got refurbished off of Overstock.com. I also have a Janome Sew Mini, which was my first sewing machine. At some point I would like to get my mother's sewing machine, which comes in its own sewing desk, or an old Brother machine that we have up in the attic, but my parents live about 600 miles away from me so it's hard to get things from there to here since I rarely travel there by car.
Pokemon Black/White Mall Event--Discover Mills, Atlanta, GA
AWA 2011

Current Costumes (In Progress):
Bianca (Pokemon) 0%
Professor Juniper/Araragi (15%)
Tsunade (chuunin) (30%)

Dream Costumes:
Queen Minnie (Kingdom Hearts II)
phantomjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #65
unifrog

Well..

My first sewing machine was a Janome Heart Truth model, but I don't think they sell those anymore...
But I recently bought a Brother SE-400, and I couldn't love it more. It has the capacity to do fairly advanced stuff as your skill level progresses, and is simple enough for a beginner to figure out. If you're prefer something without the nifty embroidery feature, I'd suggest an Innov-is 80 or 60 (the number indicates the different number of stitches the machine can perform)
unifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #66
FlippedMyLid
Shweet. c:

I use a Janome Magnolia 7312. It works like a charm and it does everything I need it to. c: I've never had a real problem with it, and it was like $100 or so. I'm not sure, as it was a Christmas present. I love it to death. *u* Best gift ever~

I switched accounts. ;u; I use this one for the forums occasionally.
Sorry for any confusion!
FlippedMyLid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #67
BsWN

I have a Singer Esteem II. I'm proud to boast that it was recommended by Martha Sterwart XP And it's green =3
BsWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #68
NiwaNiwa
Is eating your food

Berninas are my fav <3
they last FOREVER and are very easy to use

I bought an old one from my school recently
(lovelovelove these)

planning stage!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...rbfao1_400.gif

If you were a pokemon, I'd choose you baby <3
NiwaNiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #69
Aarri2129

I recently bought a Singer Inspiration 4220. Though I have yet to use most of its features, I'm a real beginner, and it's been proven to be extremely easy to use and very user-friendly. It wasn't a bad deal, either - it was a shelf clearance special; a $200 machine for about $70.
It hasn't given me too much grief so far, save for a slight problem with the tension on the bottom thread, but that got cleared up pretty easily.

BlackRose (.hack//IMOQ) - 60%
Levi (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 70%
Emmy Altava (Professor Layton) - 20%
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III (How to Train Your Dragon) - 20%
Kazuki Makabe (Soukyuu no Fafner) - 0%

---
Upcoming Conventions:
[x] Katsucon 2014 - Sango, Rose, Kagura, Lunamaria
[x] Zenkaikon 2014 - Alice, Lucy, Kagura
[ ] Otakon 2014 - Nagisa, Levi, BlackRose, Kagura(?)

Aarri2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #70
Takozu
kind of Disney-obsessed.

I have a Singer Touch N Sew, I couldn't tell you the model. My dad bought it for me one year just so we could have a sewing machine in the house, and I've gotten the most use out of it. I was a derp back when I was like, 15, and tried sewing through some denim using the wrong needles, and she busted on me, so after just recently getting her serviced, she runs like a charm. Good to me so far.

IN PLANNING!
Tali'Zorah vas Normandy - 5%
Takozu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #71
TerribleNews

Does anyone know of anything cheap that still works well?
TerribleNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #72
MillieBerry
Lolita Girl

brother sewing machine and brother serger both new and good got for xmas and so happy! before i was just using a mini sewing machine but im small so i thought it was full size lol!
MillieBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #73
Lushi
Ceilidh Sidhe

I use a super ancient Singer, from back when they came in black with gold designs. It's still electric, but definitely not as versatile as newer machines. Still, it gets the job done, and has served me well!
Lushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #74
rachelofpie
is a cat.

I have a Pfaff 297 from the seventies. It works reasonably well and is really sturdy, but it's a hassle to carry around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleNews View Post
Does anyone know of anything cheap that still works well?
I'd recommend looking for second hand ones in your area, particularly older models. Just make sure it comes with a manual.
rachelofpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #75
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

I've been working on my first cosplay for a while, and it's reached the point where I need to stitch something large (a jacket, to be exact).

I don't have the money for a proper machine, so would it be worth getting one of those portable ones that go for about £20-£30, or should I just stick with a needle and thread until I have more cash?

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote