Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #121
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

I have a curvy singer. It's really good and my mom got it for $200 dollars, but it has 30 different stitches, which is good if you're a beginner. The sewing machine that I use at my sewing class has like 130 stitches and it's smaller than my one at home. But it's like $899.
XxMai-chanxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #122
Ririin

If a beginner were to get a sewing machine, which one would be best?... for under $200 or even under $100. I need help with this >_<
Ririin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #123
CelenaSardothen

I have one machine I can use right now, and one more that I can use when I move home next month.

My current machine is a 1900 Singer hand crank, either a 27 or 28. I always get confused between them. It can only go forward, and at the moment I've only got one foot for it, but it works beautifully.

The other machine I love to use is a 1912 Singer 66-1 treadle. Her name is Ruby Redeye. She's odd because the screw for the feet is on the back instead of on the side. I've got a few feet for her, and many miscellaneous feet for antique singers. This is what happens when you have a mom who collects them.

Both machines work perfectly, and I actually like them better since I've got better speed control and there is a lot less to go wrong or break. Bad news is they are very heavy.
CelenaSardothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #124
Penlowe

OMG!OMG!OMG! Hand cranks are RARE! hoarde that precious machine!
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #125
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I currently have a Singer 2662. It has so many settings on it for pretty much everything and I sadly only discovered this recently. I have to make this machine last as long as possible.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #126
Mademoiselle
Resident Gravity Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelenaSardothen View Post
My current machine is a 1900 Singer hand crank, either a 27 or 28. I always get confused between them. It can only go forward, and at the moment I've only got one foot for it, but it works beautifully.

The other machine I love to use is a 1912 Singer 66-1 treadle. Her name is Ruby Redeye. She's odd because the screw for the feet is on the back instead of on the side. I've got a few feet for her, and many miscellaneous feet for antique singers. This is what happens when you have a mom who collects them.

Both machines work perfectly, and I actually like them better since I've got better speed control and there is a lot less to go wrong or break. Bad news is they are very heavy.
Random tip: Seeing as your 27/28 isn't electrified it will go backwards. Well...it should. My 1896 #27 won't because of the motor someone put on it but my great-grandmother's 1903 #27 is still a plain old head and will if I turn the wheel backwards.

As for less to go wrong/break, boy have you got that right! My 1903 was completely underwater at one point and still works wonderfully. That is, assuming you don't mind your fabric getting a little muddy and rusty. Ah, well, that's what restoration is for. I loathe the day it's done and I have to get it upstairs. That thing has to be over a hundred pounds.
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #127
CelenaSardothen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademoiselle View Post
Random tip: Seeing as your 27/28 isn't electrified it will go backwards. Well...it should. My 1896 #27 won't because of the motor someone put on it but my great-grandmother's 1903 #27 is still a plain old head and will if I turn the wheel backwards.

As for less to go wrong/break, boy have you got that right! My 1903 was completely underwater at one point and still works wonderfully. That is, assuming you don't mind your fabric getting a little muddy and rusty. Ah, well, that's what restoration is for. I loathe the day it's done and I have to get it upstairs. That thing has to be over a hundred pounds.
Is your 1903 a treadle? If it is, you can actually take the head out of the treadle base and lighten the load. If you lift up the head, there are two mounting points with screws in them. Just pop those out and lift off the head. It'll make the treadle part about 50 pounds lighter.
CelenaSardothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #128
Mademoiselle
Resident Gravity Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelenaSardothen View Post
Is your 1903 a treadle? If it is, you can actually take the head out of the treadle base and lighten the load. If you lift up the head, there are two mounting points with screws in them. Just pop those out and lift off the head. It'll make the treadle part about 50 pounds lighter.
Yeah, but it's not in its cabinet right now. That's probably what I'll do but it'll still be heavy as crap.
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #129
Coco Rocha
Glamorous Gamer Girls

Brother is good, But singer is the best!
Coco Rocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #130
Jacky_theNerd
Cosplayin College Student

I've got an old Singer with wood finish paneling. Makes some good and tight stitches and gets the job done. Mom found it at a yard sale for 5 dollars before I was born.
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #131
Reika728

My first machine was purchased last spring. It was $50 at Walmart. It's a Brother (can't remember the model) Project Runway edition. It's as basic as a sewing machine gets, which is what I needed at the time, being brand new and not knowing if it was something I would really get into or not.

I love the simplicity of my Brother, but I hate how cheap it is. It only has straight and zig-zag stitches and you can only adjust the stitch length. There is no tension adjustment, which means it can sew a little odd on different fabrics. I've mostly sewn cotton with it, which hasn't had much trouble. However, this thing cannot handle thick fabric. I tried to sew a fleece hat for a friend and this thing struggled horribly.

I've also had a lot of problems with the foot pedal on this machine. It's really unresponsive. I try to start sewing slowly by lightly pressing on the pedal and all I get is a buzzing noise with no needle movement. I press harder, louder buzzing. I move the wheel to try and get it started, and it either only moves the needle as long as I move the wheel, or it flies across the fabric at 80mph. VERY FRUSTRATING.

If you're a beginner who needs something simple and cheap to start with and plan to upgrade later or someone only intending to do the occasional small project, then I would recommend this machine.

If you're looking for a workhorse to do lots of sewing with, then look elsewhere.
Reika728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #132
ChuuMousie
Ooh, Shiny!

I have a Husquvarna Emerald 116. A few years old but I love it!!
Sera Myu Super Sailor Moon
Rosario Vampire Kokua seifuku

Legendary Senshi: A Sera Myu tribute group
ChuuMousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #133
RitsukaUzumaki
Straight as a Rainbow!

I got my moms old machine. It's a "Necchi Royal" or something. It works just fine for sewing and stuff. Also I'm brand new to a sewing machine and it's fairly easy to use.
2014 Cosplay Plans:
~~~~~~~
Possible 2015 cosplays:
~~~~~~~
DeviantART:
http://ritsukauzumaki.deviantart.com/
FaceBook:
https://www.facebook.com/RitsukaUzumaki
RitsukaUzumaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #134
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

I've been using a Brother LS2125I which was $80 when I bought it ...five...six years ago and it's $63 brand new nowadays. It's a basic sewing machine that gets the job done. I would like to upgrade it eventually, not sure to what yet and would like to get a serger as well. When i first started sewing and cosplaying, I used the vintage all-metal Singers which I wish I still had.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #135
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

Project Runway Limited Edition LS2300PRW... My first ever sewing machine and I'm still figuring it out lol. Once I save up some more money, maybe I will buy another one, but for now it's fine and working, so I'm happy! ^_^
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote