Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #121
XxMai-chanxX
Momo
 
XxMai-chanxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 240
I have a curvy singer. It's really good and my mom got it for $200 dollars, but it has 30 different stitches, which is good if you're a beginner. The sewing machine that I use at my sewing class has like 130 stitches and it's smaller than my one at home. But it's like $899.
XxMai-chanxX is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #122
Ririin
Registered User
 
Ririin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
If a beginner were to get a sewing machine, which one would be best?... for under $200 or even under $100. I need help with this >_<
Ririin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #123
CelenaSardothen
Registered User
 
CelenaSardothen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 45
I have one machine I can use right now, and one more that I can use when I move home next month.

My current machine is a 1900 Singer hand crank, either a 27 or 28. I always get confused between them. It can only go forward, and at the moment I've only got one foot for it, but it works beautifully.

The other machine I love to use is a 1912 Singer 66-1 treadle. Her name is Ruby Redeye. She's odd because the screw for the feet is on the back instead of on the side. I've got a few feet for her, and many miscellaneous feet for antique singers. This is what happens when you have a mom who collects them.

Both machines work perfectly, and I actually like them better since I've got better speed control and there is a lot less to go wrong or break. Bad news is they are very heavy.
CelenaSardothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #124
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,625
OMG!OMG!OMG! Hand cranks are RARE! hoarde that precious machine!
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #125
touchmon
Make All The Things!
 
touchmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,985
I currently have a Singer 2662. It has so many settings on it for pretty much everything and I sadly only discovered this recently. I have to make this machine last as long as possible.
__________________
Working on...
|Natsume(Tokyo Ravens)|Player Character(God Eater)|Morgiana(green blouse version, Magi)|Camellia Meiko(Vocaloid)|Emerald(RWBY)|Cerise Wolf(Ever After High)

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #126
Mademoiselle
Resident Gravity Tester
 
Mademoiselle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelenaSardothen View Post
My current machine is a 1900 Singer hand crank, either a 27 or 28. I always get confused between them. It can only go forward, and at the moment I've only got one foot for it, but it works beautifully.

The other machine I love to use is a 1912 Singer 66-1 treadle. Her name is Ruby Redeye. She's odd because the screw for the feet is on the back instead of on the side. I've got a few feet for her, and many miscellaneous feet for antique singers. This is what happens when you have a mom who collects them.

Both machines work perfectly, and I actually like them better since I've got better speed control and there is a lot less to go wrong or break. Bad news is they are very heavy.
Random tip: Seeing as your 27/28 isn't electrified it will go backwards. Well...it should. My 1896 #27 won't because of the motor someone put on it but my great-grandmother's 1903 #27 is still a plain old head and will if I turn the wheel backwards.

As for less to go wrong/break, boy have you got that right! My 1903 was completely underwater at one point and still works wonderfully. That is, assuming you don't mind your fabric getting a little muddy and rusty. Ah, well, that's what restoration is for. I loathe the day it's done and I have to get it upstairs. That thing has to be over a hundred pounds.
__________________
dA Tumblr (main) Tumblr (Weeping Angel)
Mademoiselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #127
CelenaSardothen
Registered User
 
CelenaSardothen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademoiselle View Post
Random tip: Seeing as your 27/28 isn't electrified it will go backwards. Well...it should. My 1896 #27 won't because of the motor someone put on it but my great-grandmother's 1903 #27 is still a plain old head and will if I turn the wheel backwards.

As for less to go wrong/break, boy have you got that right! My 1903 was completely underwater at one point and still works wonderfully. That is, assuming you don't mind your fabric getting a little muddy and rusty. Ah, well, that's what restoration is for. I loathe the day it's done and I have to get it upstairs. That thing has to be over a hundred pounds.
Is your 1903 a treadle? If it is, you can actually take the head out of the treadle base and lighten the load. If you lift up the head, there are two mounting points with screws in them. Just pop those out and lift off the head. It'll make the treadle part about 50 pounds lighter.
CelenaSardothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #128
Mademoiselle
Resident Gravity Tester
 
Mademoiselle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelenaSardothen View Post
Is your 1903 a treadle? If it is, you can actually take the head out of the treadle base and lighten the load. If you lift up the head, there are two mounting points with screws in them. Just pop those out and lift off the head. It'll make the treadle part about 50 pounds lighter.
Yeah, but it's not in its cabinet right now. That's probably what I'll do but it'll still be heavy as crap.
__________________
dA Tumblr (main) Tumblr (Weeping Angel)
Mademoiselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #129
Coco Rocha
Glamorous Gamer Girls
 
Coco Rocha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 27
Brother is good, But singer is the best!
Coco Rocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #130
Jacky_theNerd
Cosplayin College Student
 
Jacky_theNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 81
I've got an old Singer with wood finish paneling. Makes some good and tight stitches and gets the job done. Mom found it at a yard sale for 5 dollars before I was born.
__________________
READ MY COSPLAY BLOG!! http://jacky-the-nerd.tumblr.com/ I write about the cosplay community, issues we deal with, and hold interviews with those inside the community. So yeah. Give it a gander.
Jacky_theNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #131
Reika728
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
My first machine was purchased last spring. It was $50 at Walmart. It's a Brother (can't remember the model) Project Runway edition. It's as basic as a sewing machine gets, which is what I needed at the time, being brand new and not knowing if it was something I would really get into or not.

I love the simplicity of my Brother, but I hate how cheap it is. It only has straight and zig-zag stitches and you can only adjust the stitch length. There is no tension adjustment, which means it can sew a little odd on different fabrics. I've mostly sewn cotton with it, which hasn't had much trouble. However, this thing cannot handle thick fabric. I tried to sew a fleece hat for a friend and this thing struggled horribly.

I've also had a lot of problems with the foot pedal on this machine. It's really unresponsive. I try to start sewing slowly by lightly pressing on the pedal and all I get is a buzzing noise with no needle movement. I press harder, louder buzzing. I move the wheel to try and get it started, and it either only moves the needle as long as I move the wheel, or it flies across the fabric at 80mph. VERY FRUSTRATING.

If you're a beginner who needs something simple and cheap to start with and plan to upgrade later or someone only intending to do the occasional small project, then I would recommend this machine.

If you're looking for a workhorse to do lots of sewing with, then look elsewhere.
Reika728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #132
ChuuMousie
Ooh, Shiny!
 
ChuuMousie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 67
I have a Husquvarna Emerald 116. A few years old but I love it!!
__________________
2012 Cosplays
PGSM Live Usagi
Princess Merida
Sera Myu Super Sailor Moon
Rosario Vampire Kokua seifuku

Legendary Senshi: A Sera Myu tribute group
ChuuMousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #133
RitsukaUzumaki
Straight as a Rainbow!
 
RitsukaUzumaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 533
I got my moms old machine. It's a "Necchi Royal" or something. It works just fine for sewing and stuff. Also I'm brand new to a sewing machine and it's fairly easy to use.
__________________
2015 Conventions:
Sac-Anime Winter
Anime Expo
2014 Cosplay Plans:
~~~~~~~
Possible 2015 cosplays:
~~~~~~~
DeviantART:
http://ritsukauzumaki.deviantart.com/
FaceBook:
https://www.facebook.com/RitsukaUzumaki
RitsukaUzumaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #134
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.
 
Mykaios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,227
I've been using a Brother LS2125I which was $80 when I bought it ...five...six years ago and it's $63 brand new nowadays. It's a basic sewing machine that gets the job done. I would like to upgrade it eventually, not sure to what yet and would like to get a serger as well. When i first started sewing and cosplaying, I used the vintage all-metal Singers which I wish I still had.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #135
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper
 
ChocoboxDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 766
Project Runway Limited Edition LS2300PRW... My first ever sewing machine and I'm still figuring it out lol. Once I save up some more money, maybe I will buy another one, but for now it's fine and working, so I'm happy! ^_^
__________________
Cosplay, Cosplay, Cosplay
Chloe - Noir (50% complete)
Shiro - Deadman Wonderland (30% complete)
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.