Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Metal Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Leeksoup

Pattern for a bodysuit?

So I'm trying to sew a sneaking suit like Snake's in MGS2. I can't figure out where to just buy one, so I'll have to make it...

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find the pattern for one? Or something similar at least? I'd prefer the whole bodysuit, but I can make shirt+pants work if I have to. Also, this will basically be my first time wearing any kind of spandex- anything I should know about it?

Thanks for all the help!
Leeksoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
akira_chan

Kwik sew pattern 2335 is what you'll be looking for for a male bodysuit pattern, you just have to make some mods to it. For sewing it, make sure you get a ballpoint needle. For materials for your bodysuit, hit up spandexhouse and spandexworld and make sure you get samples before ordering from them as you will need to check the colors and types of materials you want to work with. Also, look for a dancebelt if you've never worn a bodysuit as i'm sure you don't want yourself on display.
akira_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
MissDragonblade
Ignore the "Miss."

On the subject, will a men's bodysuit pattern be able to be used for a wetsuit/working with neoprene? A lot of wetsuits are bodysuits, but have all those odd seams in parts that most non-wetsuit bodysuits don't have.

Semi-active on cosplay.com
Please contact me via Facebook@ Dragonblade Cosplay
or Tumblr@ Dragonblade
MissDragonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDragonblade View Post
On the subject, will a men's bodysuit pattern be able to be used for a wetsuit/working with neoprene? A lot of wetsuits are bodysuits, but have all those odd seams in parts that most non-wetsuit bodysuits don't have.
If you mean constructing your own functioning wetsuit using a body suit pattern, I'm afraid not. Wetsuits are usually made with very specific materials, patterns and techniques to make them waterproof, probably not something you could make at home. The odd seams are probably at specific stress points to allow the wetsuit to have flexibility to move/swim/surf/etc while still maintaining it's waterproof nature, since neoprene is often times far less flexible than spandex.

I'm sure you could, however, simulate the look and materials/texture of a wetsuit using the pattern and a material like neoprene; I just think making a fully water-tight suit would require more than your average sewing machine. Be advised that walking around in a neoprene wetsuit/bodysuit, especially when not worn/used in the water, can get EXTREMELY hot.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeksoup View Post
So I'm trying to sew a sneaking suit like Snake's in MGS2. I can't figure out where to just buy one, so I'll have to make it...

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find the pattern for one? Or something similar at least? I'd prefer the whole bodysuit, but I can make shirt+pants work if I have to. Also, this will basically be my first time wearing any kind of spandex- anything I should know about it?

Thanks for all the help!
If you want to bypass the sewing, have you looked into purchasing a zentai suit online? I'm sure there are places online that could send you samples of fabrics. Could be as simple as sending them measurements and telling them which swatch to use. I'd check out the Super Sentai forums on here, I'm sure somebody's got a link to a good zentai suit supplier. I don't know your budget, however, so if sewing is less strain on the wallet, and you have experience sewing stretch materials, more power to you

I do some contemporary dance on the side, and a dance belt is ESSENTIAL if you're running around in tights/bodysuits. I cosplayed Raiden from MGS4 at Fanime, and a dancebelt saved me from a lot of unwanted display, if you catch my drift.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
AydensGrace
Shutterbug.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a commercial bodysuit pattern for women?
AydensGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Butterick 6378 is the only one I know of that ever existed, but it's out of print. You may be able to find one on eBay. Here's what it looks like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/retro-thrift/5462789025/

I've never used it, so I'm not sure how it all fits together and if that stitching is on seams or just decorative.

What character are you doing? One of the Beauties?
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
AydensGrace
Shutterbug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
Butterick 6378 is the only one I know of that ever existed, but it's out of print. You may be able to find one on eBay. Here's what it looks like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/retro-thrift/5462789025/

I've never used it, so I'm not sure how it all fits together and if that stitching is on seams or just decorative.

What character are you doing? One of the Beauties?
Ah, thanks! I'll try finding it. I'm doing a Guild Wars 2 character called Caithe. She's....green and I thought instead of doing latex make-up and body paint it might be easier to do a body suit as a base.
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydensGrace View Post
Ah, thanks! I'll try finding it. I'm doing a Guild Wars 2 character called Caithe. She's....green and I thought instead of doing latex make-up and body paint it might be easier to do a body suit as a base.
A lot of people do that sort of thing for colored skin. You may also consider buying a zentai suit as a base. They're cheap, and you can get ones that cover any portion of your body (including your face if you wanted that).
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
AydensGrace
Shutterbug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
A lot of people do that sort of thing for colored skin. You may also consider buying a zentai suit as a base. They're cheap, and you can get ones that cover any portion of your body (including your face if you wanted that).
I've been looking at that. Thanks a lot for your help!