Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Chocolahime

What can I do about this?

This is my current shape. As you can see it's rather boyish and worst of all I have a barrel chest, my ribs are so big. From the side I think I look fine but from straight on I look so wide. I'm 5'2 and 108 lbs... I don't think losing more weight is what I need to do. I am working on toning my midsection but is there anything to do about these big ribs of mine?
I'm a little shy about putting these pictures here but I want you to see what I mean.
Front
Side

Like I can 'suck' in my ribs by tensing my muscles really hard... so if I work those muscles will they start to... I dunno do that?
If so what are those muscles actually called?
Chocolahime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Brand
Like that son!?

If you start working your lower chest/upper core that area will just get wider as muscle develops. From what I can tell your ribs aren't as wide as your hips, which is fine. I don't really see a problem. The only thing you could really do is lower BF% to tighten your skin but... you're already pretty fit.
Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Chocolahime

They aren't quite as wide but they are close. I really wish I had my measuring tape so I could post measurements.
Is there something I could do to emphasize my waist? I don't really like the boyish look... Like be more curvy and womanly? I don't gain weight on my hips or bum though I get it all right on my belly. My mom told me once that I never grew hips XD

My boyish body has been kind of holding me back in my cosplays. I have a few characters that I want to do that have bare midriffs and are curvy and voluptuous.

Last edited by Chocolahime : 08-19-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Unread 08-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Brand
Like that son!?

Unfortunately if gaining weight wont help you there's not much you can do.

You can do things like wearing very thin and tight fabrics for the chest and thicker materials on your bottoms. Also large belts etc will make your hips look bigger. Apparently also lighter colors for bottoms and darker colors on top give an illusion of fuller hips.
Unread 08-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Chocolahime

Oh that is very sad... I have a party dress like this one and it does NOT look good. If I had seen a model in it first I probably wouldn't have bought it after seeing her ribs being so close to the size of her waist.
I have heard that working pectoral muscles can make breasts seem fuller but I don't know if it'd be significant. I've never actually heard of someone doing it.
Unread 08-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Brand
Like that son!?

Yes working pecs will push the breasts outwards. Note it doesn't grow breasts but it will push them out a little. Also unless you straight up become a body builder you wont really have to worry about the "breasts on top of pecs" look.
Unread 08-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Are you currently very active? Do you do any real fitness activities. I firmly believe that weight does not matter. While it can be a useful indicator, things like weight and BMI are rather useless.

Like you said you don't need to lose any weight, but you might find some benefit from exercise. If you start working out, lifting some actual weights (if its colored and coated in rubber, it ain't heavy enough, lol) and simultaneously bump up your food intake (healthy stuff of course) You will likely find yourself getting more fit, while not changing the number on the scale. Thats a good thing.

As far as how dramatic a difference it'll generate its tough to say, but I can promise you that if you work hard, put in the time and effort and evoke a change, you'll be a lot more proud and confident about your body than if you just stare at yourself in the mirror poking at your ribs .

On a completely different side of things, and this won't really work with that sort of dress, but a corset, if used properly, can help give you a curvier appearance.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
distantarray

with years of corsett training results can be permenant, but it's really painful, it's really hard to change your body shape, but waist slimmer belts are good for special occassions just wear a few days prior to sleep and it'll suck out some excess fat in that area, and make it harder for new fat deposits to settle there, although it means it'll just deposit elsewhere probably the butt XD
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Chocolahime

I actually looked into the whole corset training thing but the fact that not wearing a corset for any length of time can undo everything.
I am not hugely active, essentially I do a lot of walking everywhere, but nothing that really gets my heart rate up.
Unread 08-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
MissJava
Still broke. D:

I'm not sure if it's completely true, but I hear hulahooping helps to give you hips.
Just another idea. x3
MissJava is offline   Reply With Quote