Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Devil May Cry

Unread 08-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Neko Xion
Merow? =w=

Cosplay: Dante ^ ^

Hey there! As I seen many people do, & I know your out there!, Dante cosplaying :)
I was thinking about mixing the Anime Version of Dante & The Devil May Cry 3 Version...

Now I only have a few qestions, so if anyone out there can help I'll be soo happy :]

So I've been wondering three or two things.

One- Instead of a wig, I've thought about using temporary dye/spray..But Im not completly sure. I've heard rumors that this product works very well, but I'm not completly sure it would work on very dark brown hair.
http://www.manicpanic.biz/ct_PRhtg12175.
I Could't find anything about siver hair in the hair & wig section so I was wondering if it was even possible with out the wig...
That and is Dante's Hair Silver or White?! D: I can't really tell ._."

Two- The Trench Coat, Any idea's or sayings on which Patterns would work well? I was thinking about using the "Matrix Pattern" From Simplicity, but If anyone has something different please tell me other wise :)

And thats all I ask ^ ^
If you can please help me it'll be great! ^ ^
Thanks! :D

Lets Rock!!!!

Done cosplay:
Rin (Daughter of Evil)

Attending Cons
None :I

Last edited by Neko Xion : 08-22-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Neko Xion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
NoOptionOtaku
Cosplay Addict

I'm no pro at cosplay (especially DMC cosplay), so please don't take my opinion seriously, but I honestly would go with getting a wig instead of dying/spraypainting your hair. Dante's hair is basically white and dying your hair pure white doesn't seem like the safest idea to me (for your hair follicles and such I mean). Btw, I hope the cosplay goes along swimmingly!
NoOptionOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:17 AM   #3
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Definitely agree with NoOptionOtaku. Lack of wigs can break great costumes. While they are an investment, the wig for Dante can be re-used for other cosplays as I've noticed his hair style is somewhat common for other characters. I would suggest going with a wig for sure. Be mindful that with dying hair, if you're going for the silver/white that Dante sports, and you have dark or black hair, you'll have to bleach your hair in addition to dying it. Not entirely healthy for hair in the long run. And the fact that wigs look more authentic, you'll get a much better look for the rest of the costume. And you will avoid negative comments (because , people will blast you for not using a wig for Dante. I've seen it happen. Not pretty. >.< )

As for the trench coat, Dante's trench coat isn't a pure Matrix style coat. It's very similar though. Google "Dante Devil May Cry" and then up toward the top of the screen, click the "Images" link to bring up search results using Google Images. What you end up with are image results using the same search terms. You'll find plenty of reference pictures to use to adapt the Matrix pattern to match Dante's coat.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
Ragtime Mouth
Can + Bakery + ??= Profit

Honestly, hair can be repaired, people do worse things to their hair on a weekly basis and still some how have their hair. I personally can't stand wigs for certain character with such simple hair styles as Dante. I haven't really seen a decent Dante actually, wigs can add to the fake appearance, since most people can't afford real leather for a good look. No one will blast you for not having a wig if you just simply look right and not half arsed. Soo.. that in mind, temporary hair spray won't look well, trust me, that's the only reason why people get negative feedback for not having a wig.. simply because they didn't take the time to fix their own her.
Ragtime Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technowraith View Post
Definitely agree with NoOptionOtaku. Lack of wigs can break great costumes. While they are an investment, the wig for Dante can be re-used for other cosplays as I've noticed his hair style is somewhat common for other characters. I would suggest going with a wig for sure. Be mindful that with dying hair, if you're going for the silver/white that Dante sports, and you have dark or black hair, you'll have to bleach your hair in addition to dying it. Not entirely healthy for hair in the long run. And the fact that wigs look more authentic, you'll get a much better look for the rest of the costume. And you will avoid negative comments (because , people will blast you for not using a wig for Dante. I've seen it happen. Not pretty. >.< )
Yeah... Ragtime is much more on point with the whole hair situation. It's not that wigs look "more authentic". They don't, and it's often easy to tell when someone is wearing one by the quality, how it's worn, or if it's styled properly.

The problem I think you're talking about is the temporary dyes and sprays, like those you find around Halloween, and yes those generally look bad.

----

Before I start all this, know that Manic Panic Flash Lightning is not temporary. It is bleach and bleach is permanent. There also isn't much product in those boxes, I'm bleaching my hair white for Dante as well and have used Flash Lightning before, so if you have longer or thicker hair you'll need several kits. It took 4 of the smaller ones for one round on my hair. But it will work... kinda.

Figuring out hair is actually very easy. To go darker you add color, this is dyeing your hair. To go lighter you must remove color, this is bleaching, there is no such thing as white hair dye.. Anything that says it can dye your hair white, is basically spray paint and will most likely look like crap.

Getting white hair is not easy. It's a minimum two step process, probably more unless you're already a very light blonde. And it isn't good for your hair, you should pick up an overnight deep conditioning kit to use after you bleach your hair. Still you should expect your hair to be much more dry and brittle than normal.

Step one is the bleaching, step two is toning. What's nice about those kits is that they include toner, usually a very weak purple/blue tinted dye that has conditioner in it. After the initial toning you should have some left to use as refreshers for when you wash your hair. Don't use it every time however or you will end up with purple/blue tones in your hair.

Also, do not feel like you have to use these kits as they are rather weak from what I hear. 4 of them only go me to what I consider platinum blonde (think Malfoy from Harry Potter?) from a medium brown, so when I do the second round of bleaching, possibly this weekend, I'll simply buy a tub of cool toned bleach and some 40 volume activator as I still have several bottles of toner. If you only need toner, Manic Panic has a product called Virgin Snow that can usually be found with their dyes and is meant for countering brassiness and toning bleached hair to white.

You should also let your hair recover a bit between bleaching. If you're going to be doing this as a test before your convention, which I recommend because hair can be unpredictable and it may not turn out as light as you want it the first time, your hair will grow out showing roots which will need to be bleached again. I was recommended by my girlfriend's hair stylist to wait about two months or till you have 1/2" roots to bleach again.

Anyway... I'm no professional, this is just a collection of a few things that I've learned during my experience of trying to get white hair. Take it with a grain of salt as everyone's hair is different an you may, and most likely will, have a slightly different experience if you decide to go through with the process.

Remember that wigs are infinitely easier and can be reused. If you get a human hair wig, you can actually bleach it white just as you would your own hair, but those are expensive. Of course so are high quality artificial wigs for that matter... I had wanted white hair for a while anyway though, so I thought I'd give it a go. It's been an interesting experience.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Dunno if the OP has resolved his/her issues yet, but just for a follow-up, here are the results of my second bleaching. I think it turned out pretty well; a lot of the yellow tones that show in the pics are from the lighting.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1304884785

The brand of bleach/developer we used was Kaleidocolors Cool Tones Blue mixed with Clairol Soy 4Plex Pure White, 40 vol.
My scalp is sore from the bleaching, but that's normal. My hair is dry, but far from fried. Going to put a deep conditioning treatment on and it should be back to, close to, normal.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Neko Xion
Merow? =w=

Hey everyone!
Sorry for the really really late reply! I kinda forgot about my password and...yeah ^ ^""""

Aaaand I have not figured out my problem yet, & I know for sure I AM NOT going to bleach my hair...I feel like its to risky for me D:
Since I don't really take care of my hair...Im kinda scared to >3>

Though 2DLogic your hair is freaken amazing c:
I so wanna touch it XD (sorry if thats weird)

So I plan on ordering a wig all and all... I'll do anything and everything to make it perfect..

As for the coat I actually found a Jacket...perfect color and everything.
Not sure how to fix it to where its a trench like the matrix pattern & I cannot find my pattern for it and I live way to far from any fabric stores :I
So I might need some help/tips on that...

And finally my sword. I have two that I'm working on.
One is made of wood, the other paper mache and sytrofoam(?)...
And Im stuck on how to
1- do the skull & handle...
2- Have it hanging on my back like Dante...

As for Ebony & Ivory
.....Im stuck on that too :I

When I really look at it I am....horrible at planning and cosplaying ._.

Thanks for everyone's help though! D:

Lets Rock!!!!

Done cosplay:
Rin (Daughter of Evil)

Attending Cons
None :I
Neko Xion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Addressing Rebellion (the sword):

-The skulls and bones can be carved out of foam.
-As for carrying Rebellion, I've seen some Dantes just carry it normally. Some used strong magnet (i mean those really super-strong but lighter weight magnets), one designed into the sword and another on a harness that's worn under the trenchcoat. The key to making this work is having a Rebellion that's lightweight (as in the styrofoam/paper mache -or the wood one will work too if it's light enough).

For Ebony and Ivory: You can buy a pair of plastic toy guns (just make sure they're not BB guns, or airsoft gun replicas. Parts of an airsoft gun kit are NOT allowed for use in gun props.) and paint them accordingly. Or if you have the talent, carve/build your own set out of wood and then paint them.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Deuce_VII
Devil Trigger Dante

I read that you are planning on mixing the dmc3 dante with anime dante..if that is still the case, the answer is in the costume itself

A harness is integral to the DMC3 costume, so if you work with that, you can easily modify it to carry your sword if you don't wanna go the magnet route. Generally just a matter of either attaching a secondary strap so it holds your sword in there, or wedging it into the existing harness.

I did that with my DMC3 Dante, and also modded the harness for DMC2 Dante so I can carry a sword with that costume easily in the above mentioned ways

Hope that helps
In a time, long since past in an age of darkness, when the Earth was overrun with demons and humans were powerless under their rule humanity's hope lived in a demon, named Sparda. With a spirit unlike any other, and wielding the sword that bore his own name, Sparda eradicated the demons. And now the Legend of Sparda, has been inherited, by his son the demon slayer...Dante
Deuce_VII is offline   Reply With Quote