Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Unread 08-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
Thekingofspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDF Jerry P View Post
I finished putting together Dr. Light last night. Just a couple little finishing touches, and it'll be all ready for Dragon*Con. I still haven't decided what day I'm going to be wearing it, tough.
Awesome! I'd love to run into you at some point! I'll be in costume with Protoman Friday night, parts of Saturday and Sunday as well.
Protoman AWA/DC '10
Thekingofspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #17
Squeaker-Ed
Engine of Love

Ah, it makes me sad that everyone's gonna show their MM cosplays at conventions this year.

Ah well~! I'm planning on doing a version of Roll for Spirit Week at my school and I'm kinda needing to know how to do Tron Bonne for Halloween. Would anyone know how to do her hair more naturally with a wig? (I like the brooch I made for her~!)

DEBATING: Zobiko (House of the Dead EX), Alyssa Hamilton (Clock Tower 3)
PLANNED/IN PROG.: Lisa Rogan (House of the Dead III), Jem (Jem and the Holograms), Spike (Ape Escape), Pearl (x2), Rusty, & Dinah (Starlight Express), Aoi & Junko (Dangan Ronpa), IT'S A SECRET (x3) (Assorted)
"NO ONE DOES FACE MAKEUP SHIT LIKE SQUEAKER ON TUMBLR."
Squeaker-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

Well, my Splash Woman dress is making progress.... It took two hours to do the bodice and it still isn't completely done.
Unread 08-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #19
jukebox
i want pizza

Mweeheehee... I wore a Protomen-inspired Protoman for a few hours at FanExpo this weekend. We only managed to get in a few shots at a quick photoshoot, but they were pretty spiffy. My boyfriend was Mega and we decided to get a bunch of shots that would be reminiscent of Act I. I'm crossing my fingers that the shots we got of me dying turn out. XD

I was also wandering around the dealer's room at one point and heard someone yell out "I LOVE YOU, PROTOWOMAN!" while I was going up an escalator. The costume was pretty last-minute so my helmet was sadly lacking a full face viser, so my girly cheekbones and jaw were pretty obvious. But still, it was fun that people recognised the character and the idea. x3

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #20
Dragon
Cosplay Fiend

Blues is done except for the energy bar on the blaster and the yellow elements on it.
And the visor, which I'll do next week.

Rock(man) is done except for putting the 'shoe'/leg together and doing the underside of the shoes.
And my friend has yet to make the panties XD

I'll be taking pictures of both of them this week, perhaps it will help you, if not go ahead and ask questions.
Also found some old pics of the 'making of' process on the shoes.
Unread 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #21
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

^ Definitely post those old pics maybe with some explanation because I NEED THOSE when I'm ready to start working on Starman.
Unread 08-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #22
Thekingofspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
Mweeheehee... I wore a Protomen-inspired Protoman for a few hours at FanExpo this weekend. We only managed to get in a few shots at a quick photoshoot, but they were pretty spiffy. My boyfriend was Mega and we decided to get a bunch of shots that would be reminiscent of Act I. I'm crossing my fingers that the shots we got of me dying turn out. XD

I was also wandering around the dealer's room at one point and heard someone yell out "I LOVE YOU, PROTOWOMAN!" while I was going up an escalator. The costume was pretty last-minute so my helmet was sadly lacking a full face viser, so my girly cheekbones and jaw were pretty obvious. But still, it was fun that people recognised the character and the idea. x3
I'd love to see those photos! Let us know if they turn out!
Protoman AWA/DC '10
Thekingofspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:56 PM   #23
Dragon
Cosplay Fiend

As promised, I dug out the pics, I'm just afraid there weren't as many left by my photo-eating-cam as I thought there was.

So, basically grabbed a piece of paper and drew my naked foot on it. You can also do this with shoes on. Draw the shape off, then extend it in how big you feel the correct size is.
Mine is 35 cm long for example and on the thickest place it's 34 cm broad, and I choose a loose tear shape, because that's what they seem to have.

I put this on thin cardboard as this was just going to be the base and 'prototype' for my Protoman (XD) / Blues foot.
Next I cut a broad stripe of cardboard, that should be long enough to go all along the edge of the bottom shape. If it doesn't (like in my case) just make a second stripe and and tape them together, so they overlap a bit.
Fix it with tape to the bottom.
Now you'll start shaping the whole thing round, like the shoe of the robots is, by making small cuts into the shoe and cuttin pieces out. Start out with with cutting in and overlapping the parts to see what effect taking how much away will be. Mark it if you fear you might not be able to cut it correctly.
Tape it together once you cut it out.
I tried taking the same amount off of both sides of the shoe, so it would be pretty regular.

=> Result of what your prototype shoud look like:
http://img413.imageshack.us/i/p6120084.jpg/

Thought I do suggest, that you make the front part a bit higher. Tape cardboard you cut away earlier in to adjust correctly.
Try standing and moving in it. If it's comfy, it's good if you are constantly bumping into the edge at the front or back, you might want to shorten it a bit.

Pretty much the same for the actuall leg, thought you should try to make certain the upper back is in the back of your knee and that it goes down enough to cover your natural ankle. You can always cut it shorter if it ends up too long.

=> http://img705.imageshack.us/i/p6120085.jpg/

Next comes the 'hard' part. Emotionally anyway.
You got both correct and comfy?
Great.
Now grab you scissors or cutter and cut them appart. -> No, I'm not joking.
You'll process as follows:
First, cut the bottom of the shoe off.
Then you'll cut the shoe in exact halfes at the backside and front. Grab one half and start trying to place it FLAT on the floor. Since you should have shaped it round, you'll have to make small cuts (most likely on the top, where you cut pieces out and taped them together). If you made MANY cuts before, you can try spreading them out equally with longer cuts. If you mess up, just tape it together again.
I recommend leaving the area out where you'll connect the shoe to the leg => ankle area.

Repeate the same process you did with the shoe with the leg.

I used those three patterns to make my robo-legs out of hard cardboard.
1 x bottom + 2 x shoe pattern (don't forget to paint them on the cardboard mirrored, so you have the correct side inside later) + 2 x leg pattern => 1 shoe.
If you gave the bottom part a certain direction at the tip, make sure you do not make two left or two right shoes

After cutting out the shapes from cardboard, I carefully hot glued them together (and still burned mysef a good couple of times). Having someone help you pressing the halfes together really DOES help.
Next I covered the whole things with wooden glue, by smearing a good amount on per hand, making it create good layer.
Make sure the shoe & leg are in the correct shape already, because once the glue hardens it WILL hold the way it dried. It also makes the surface smooth and shiney and more hard.

You can pappermasche it too, for additional hold. I have to admit if I had the time and the knowledge I have now, I'd have placed paper stripes along the upper and lower edes. They can turn out a bit sharp and well, in my case you can see that it's cardboard if you look at the top of the knee-part.

I'm hoping to still hotglue a wide, but thin piece of cardboard on the inside, below knee high, to put through a broad rubber band with closing inside, to give additional hold to it.

Afterwards I spray painted them with car spray paint and well, this is pretty much what they look like finished:

http://img834.imageshack.us/i/p9010201.jpg/

At this point I'd already carefully drilled holes in and put a screw and female screw (inside) through it. I can now walk pretty normal, thought through the thickness you'll have to walk with spread legs and it will take sometime to get used to such big feet. Take it slow.

Other stuff was done in similar ways:
http://img412.imageshack.us/i/p9010198.jpg/
http://img23.imageshack.us/i/p9010202.jpg/

EDIT: Forgot to mention.
As you can see on the bottom of the shoe, I made the 3D effect with the ... busters I think those are.
I made it by using foam board. First I cut out the bottom twice, then cut the 'hole' in after marking it with ruler (used a small plate as shape) and glued the normal one the one with hole, before glueing it as good as possible IN the shoe.
I should have hotglued them to the cardboard bottom part (which I didn't use in the end) for better stability.

Cover the bottom part and hole with wooden glue, for more stability, then you can spraypaint it in the base color and hand-paint additional colors.

If you want to make them walkable in halls and stuff without risking ruining the bottom and being able to show off the bottom part like I'll be doing, search for anti-slip sheets in transparent color. Best would be to if they were self-sticking. I put wood glue that dried transparent between the sheet and bottom and there are parts where there are still white spots, because the outside dried first, thus not allowing the inside to dry properly ^^°
If you dare, you can use hot glue to stick it together.

Alternately look for anti-slip mats for showers in transparent (but thick, so the color on the bottom will be a bit more pale, but on the other hand you have good hold even on flat surfaces) or in the correct color if you can find it. (red seems pretty impossible)

I also heard, but haven't been able to try, that silikon (like used in bathrooms) also does the trick.

Last edited by Dragon : 09-01-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #24
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

Thank yooooou!!!!

Anyways, my dress is about 80% complete.
Unread 09-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #25
Dragon
Cosplay Fiend

Let me know how it turns out and if you need any help or got additional question.
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #26
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

Okay, well, great, now I am torn between cosplaying someone from Team Plasma from Pokemon Black and White or Starman from Megaman 5... I would think Starman would be cheaper because cardboard is pretty easy to obtain for free. You just have to know who to ask... but yeah, I need more white fabric for the other half of my fin!
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #27
jukebox
i want pizza

I saw some of the previews from the photographer for the Protomen shoot I did. The photos themselves look pretty fantastic, I just feel like you can really tell my outfit was last minute. x___x The arm cannon didn't turn out how I would have liked and I honestly cannot bind, it just does not happen for me. My boyfriend and I agreed we're definitely gonna do a re-shoot later, because we only got a few pictures and I was worn out from doing a Sailor Scout shoot for most of the day. And our Roll took a tumble from dehydration. D:

I'm also definitely going to eventally modify the helmet and do classic Protoman. I tentatively have that one pegged for 2012.

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 05:50 AM   #28
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

Okay, I'm almost done with the dress, I just need to get more white fabric for the second fin and then finish up the sleeves.
Unread 09-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #29
Dragon
Cosplay Fiend

Tip after wearing the cosplay this weekend and getting into heavy rain thanks to a massive and sudden rainfall: If you can afford it, put bondo or something on the in and outside before putting color on it ><

My Protoman/Blues is now ruined :\
Completely.
My friend (doing Rock/Megaman) who was inside while I got fully catched, got through pretty unscattered, BUT

You should re-enforce the joints. Put a small piece of wonderflex, wood or something similar, stable and hard where you'll put the joints (both the leg-piece and foot-piece). Else there are good chances it will rip out.

On the other hand: Thanks to the rain I at least figured out that the bottom of the shoe I made worked out. We didn't slip anywhere and the sole held despite me walking through water. It was the cardboard that got soaked through and gave in u.u
Unread 09-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #30
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

Okay, that's a lot to take in, of course, now I'm thinking that next year's cosplay would be someone from Team Plasma from Pokemon black and white depending on who the commanders are. I will know this week though! However, Starman is still an option.

Well, I'm done with Splash Woman until I get more white fabric.