Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Sen-chan

Fabrics

I may do some research to see what fabrics were more common back in the era Kuroshitsuji takes place in (shouldn't be too hard) but I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions.

I'm particularly concerned about what fabric to use for Grell's coat. I want it to stand out, as I (for some reason) think that it would be Grell's nicest piece of clothing. So I want a heavier material that is somewhat "luxurious". I don't really know much about fabric right off the top of my head, but with this I'd rather have something in mind to look for. So what sort should I be keeping an eye out for?
Sen-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

You've got plenty of options when it comes to Grell's coat, and it's technically a woman's coat so a lot of fabrics that wouldn't sit well on a man usually come up for grabs. I'd steer away from satins (There's no evidence to suggest the coat is shiny, and matt looks classier anyway) and pick something with a decent weight to it, but otherwise it's your choice. If you can find them in red, suiting or gabardine would be a very appropriate choice. Twill might work if you washed it thoroughly beforehand (Off the roll, twill is usually too heavily starched) but you'd still get quite a stiff finish. If you wanted to go super luxurious, you could choose a good quality velvet. I think when I saw the costumes made for the musical, Grell's coat had a self-herringbone pattern, so textured fabrics are not ruled out either.

Re: historical fabrics, back in the 19th century it was 100% natural fibre, but honestly? Synthetic mixes make our lives easier, are cheaper, don't wrinkle to high heaven, and Kuroshitsuji is painfully inaccurate anyway. Definitely choose a high natural fibre content to get the right look and finish, but period-accurate fabrics means period-accurate upkeep, and I like to wash my outer clothes occasionally.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Sen-chan

I was considering twill, but am iffy about it for the reason you said, but I didn't know washing could change that. Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

About the history... Yeah. Agreed. It doesn't completely scare me, though.

Your reply was very informative.
Sen-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
xShadow-Lightx
Kashi Takahashi

My recommendation is to use Upholstery fabric. I made 2 Grell jackets before as a commission but none of them work better than upholstery fabric or even micro suede. They flow more nicely. It's fabric people use to put on furniture for decorations and it flows nicely when you move. It is somewhat heavy. m I'd recommend Micro suede upholstery.

Also, if you like the feel of fabric, those two would feel really nice and it will look good for the frock coat.
Cure ID: 290681

Last edited by xShadow-Lightx : 11-02-2010 at 01:25 PM.
xShadow-Lightx is offline   Reply With Quote