Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 08-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
MissJava
Still broke. D:

Got Fatter After Hitting The Gym. :/

My lifestyle is extremely lazy, I got tired of being chubby, so, I started a healthy diet designated for people with hypothyroidism [ according to the doctor, i have it. it's not a self-diagnosis ] and went to the gym for a week straight. I did mostly cardio, lots of stairs, some weight lifting, etc etc.
But I got bigger.
I gained 10 pounds within ONE week and my clothing fit tighter on me.

I really hate this, and now I'm actually scared to work out.
Yes, muscle weighs more than fat, but I haven't lost any fat. I'm just gaining muscle underneath my fat and it's making me look even larger. I can only fit into one pair of my jeans, which give me a fantastic muffin top, and I can only wear my baggy shirts. I feel absolutely disgusting.

I started out at 150 and now I'm a 165 pound 18-year-old girl AFTER dieting and excercising.
It was only a week, but I feel like I'm just going to get even larger if I keep going. This is the biggest I've ever been in my life and my metabolism is supposed to be at it's peak right now.

Needless to say, I'm extremely discouraged.
Wtf do I do??
MissJava is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Well you bulk up for about a week or two before your additional muscle mass starts to raise your metabolism and burn the existing fat. I had a personal trainer for awhile that told me this.

No one said you were going to drop 10 pounds in the first week. Losing weight is hard. It depends on your chemistry and body build in addition to diet and exercise.
Unread 08-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
MissJava
Still broke. D:

I never planned on losing anything the first week, actually, but I certainly didn't expect to gain 10 pounds. I didn't know that was physically possible unless you actually tried.

I'm just really scared that I won't burn anything afterwards because of the hypothyroids and have that muscle bulging out the fat that I do have even more.
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I have an abnormally large muscle structure for a woman. I bulk up whenever I start working out after not doing it for awhile. I start to notice inches disappearing after awhile.
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
C0BALTDragon

Keep at it, your appetite went up and you prolly were eating more food and not noticing, but in the long run it'll start burning off the fat and you will slim down.

Don't step on the scale, just go by what you see in the mirror.
C0BALTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
MissJava
Still broke. D:

@Luna: I know what you mean. I've always had a good muscle build even if I don't work out. Just my fat goes up. x3

@Cobalt: I couldn't care less about my weight so long as I look better. xD Haha. And thank you<3

Y'all have helped me be more motivated. :'D Thank you. <3
Unread 08-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
happymunchkin
Something huggable

Are you on medication for your hypothyroidism? I have hypothyroid too, and I'm on a prescription for thyroid hormone. If you're not, I'd ask your doctor about it. It should speed up your metabolism = losing weight.
Unread 08-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
MissJava
Still broke. D:

He said it's not too severe, and I take the multivitamins he gave me.
It doesn't seem to make a difference, but my dad lost his job and going to the doctor just to lose weight is going to cost us too much since we don't have insurance anymore.
:P
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
distantarray

even with hyper thyroidism I'm pretty sure it's impossible to gain 15 pounds of fat, let alone 15 pounds of muscle. Especially being a girl, a man with high testosterone low estrogen levels can hope to build 15 pounds of muscle mass in 8-12 months. Without the use of pro-hormones or anabolic steroids.

With hyper thyroid issues you have to watch your diet like crazy, and remember that there are a lot of factors in just weighing yourself, if you weigh yourself naked you can lose 10 pounds on the scale easy, and your supposed to weigh in the morning after you pee and poo after a shower naked bone dry before you eat or drink. Most consistant weight is here.

Regardless 3,500 calories is required for 1 pound of fat, it could vary with hyper thyroid issues but that still means you'll have to intake 52,500 calories to gain 15 pounds, and with weight training if it's muscle you'd have to ingest more than that.

Ditch the scale and get a body fat calculator for a more accurate measurement imo.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #10
MissJava
Still broke. D:

Dunno, maybe it's just a combination of both?? I really don't know a lot about work-outs and the after effects. :P I just know I got 10 pounds in one week. The other five is stuck after drinking at a party on my birthday. D: I weigh myself a lot [ bad habit ] and this happened within two days.

I don't gradually gain weight, I gain a lot in a short period of time and it stays that way all day. It doesn't fluxaute except for maybe a pound or two between the morning and night.

I don't eat THAT much and it's definitely not unhealthy ... Makes me want to slam my head into a wall. I've only had these problems over the past two years, I used to weigh 135 beginning of my Junior year, and I recently found out that eating spinach, strawberries, and peaches make hypothyroid people gain weight. D:
The fuck??
Unread 08-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #11
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJava View Post
Dunno, maybe it's just a combination of both?? I really don't know a lot about work-outs and the after effects. :P I just know I got 10 pounds in one week. The other five is stuck after drinking at a party on my birthday. D: I weigh myself a lot [ bad habit ] and this happened within two days.

I don't gradually gain weight, I gain a lot in a short period of time and it stays that way all day. It doesn't fluxaute except for maybe a pound or two between the morning and night.

I don't eat THAT much and it's definitely not unhealthy ... Makes me want to slam my head into a wall. I've only had these problems over the past two years, I used to weigh 135 beginning of my Junior year, and I recently found out that eating spinach, strawberries, and peaches make hypothyroid people gain weight. D:
The fuck??
peaches and strawberries I can understand but spinach? what the f? is right
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Two things come to mind with this:

How much water do you drink each day? If you are starting to work out, you really should make sure you are getting ~1 gallon or more water in you throughout the day. If you take a normal water bottle, and fill it about 6-8 times, thats about right for daily intake. The only ONLY only way you could actually gain 10 pounds, muscle or fat, if properly weighing yourself in the morning, is through water retention. If you don't drink enough your body will make you bloat, which isn't pretty, so drink some more. Just don't overdo it.

Did you change any part of your diet? Typically starting a workout regimen will greatly increase your normal appetite. Your body needs a lot more calories to make up for what you burned off, as well as rebuilding all the muscle that you broke down in your workouts. Are you timing your macronutrients correctly? Basically making sure you get some carbs, some protein and some healthy fats in each and every meal? Did you get some good protein in after your workouts, or just carbs? Whatever you eat right after a workout tends to trigger an insulin spike, which helps spread the nutrients throughout your body. You eat good stuff at the right time, you get the most benefit, you eat bad stuff and you probably just wasted a whole bunch of time and energy.

If you have thyroid issues, you really should be very careful about your diet and your expectations in the gym. And don't expect anything too fast, but thats a solid rule for everyone.

And get off the scale. Who cares what number it says? If you really want to track yourself, either get a measuring tape (you are a cosplayer right? lol) and take key measurements once every week or two. Same time of day, same day of the week, consistently. And don't touch anything else in between.

If you want an even better method, get a digital camera, strip down to gym clothes and get a sibling/room mate/friend to take a picture of you in a few different poses every two weeks. You see yourself in the mirror every day. If you only see yourself every two weeks its a lot easier to spot changes.

Just build the good habits, and don't sweat the little things in between. Best of luck!
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
MissJava
Still broke. D:

@distant: Yea ... I'm not completely understanding why, either, so I can't go and figure out which ones are bad by common sense either. D: I just know the thyroids are like little sacks spread around your body that basically help filtering out and keeping your homeostasis in balance including your metabolism [ i only paid half-attention in anatomy, so this may be off lol ]

@Rjr: @ __ @ Oh my good God, that's a lot to keep in mind ... Haha. Plain water, I don't drink any, but I use this mix that makes it actually have a taste. I know it's 5 calories, but I can't remember the other details in it. I drink at least four large glasses a day [ large meaning about 16oz ] I drink that stuff all day. :'D

I can't remember if I changed my diet. The only thing I remember is that after we worked out, we'd be starving so we'd go get something from like Subway or a salad--it was always healthy and low-fat, but I'm not too sure how healthy after reading over the foods that were bad for me. D:

I make all of my own meals, so I always including a meat and greens, usually on top of brown rice. I've found that the way my Vietnamese friend eats is EXTREMELY healthy, and things like Pho you can eat a lot without getting a lot of calories. Their noodles are made from rice instead of pasta.

Really, the only bad eatting habit I have is eating a lot of bread and cheese. I replace the bread with whole wheat, and try to find some cottage cheese or a different low-fat one to replace it.

And like I said, the numbers really don't bother me, but all my clothes fit tighter and I have a muffin top now. D: I just step on the scale a lot because it's in my bathroom and I just hop on when I pass it. Haha. [ i'll think about moving it ]

I'm used to being bigger because I've always had a good, thick layer of muscle--even when I was thin, my jeans always got stuck at my calves because they were bigger than most girls and a lot of shirts didn't fit my arms because they were too muscular haha--and I really like the look, so I don't mind it one bit. I don't want to look frail and dainty, at all, it's not attractive to me. x3

The hardest part I'm having is the friggin' DIET. D:<
Any one knows of a good place where they blatently tell you WHAT is so bad about spinach that I can't eat it, PLEASE tell me. I'm extremely confused about this. D':

Last edited by MissJava : 08-23-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
Kasinator
Not quite human

click the what to eat in my signature if you are looking for some diet help and also check out our nutrition guides on this board.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

I just got measured Saturday for my Howl-O-Scream uniform and discovered I gained some inches (some really means a lot) since last I measured. Granted I measured a while ago and just last week I did let myself slip into some unhealthy eating habits, but it still seemed like a lot when I still wore my same clothes without issue. I talked to my dad about it because I was feeling very self conscious about it and he kind of shyly pointed out, "Well... you are on your period... aren't you?"

So, you know, depending on when that time of the month is for you, it could mean you're retaining a bit of extra water, which would make your clothes feel tighter, and like other people said, weighing your self is very unreliable. Things like what you're wearing, when you last ate or drank, things like that could affect the numbers.

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote