Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Moonlit_Shadow

Exclamation masks for over glasses

i need serious help. i have geek-kon in a few weeks and i need to find and/or make a mask for the masquerade my big problem though is that my eyes are so bad that i cant even wear contacts. soo i need to find a way to get a mask that can fit over my glasses nicely. here are my glasses:
http://www.lenscrafters.com/eyeglass...s/d%26g/dd1146
please help
Moonlit_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
Idle_Time

it all really depends on the kind of mask you're gonna make. you have any referances or thoughts on the mask you want to make? or it doesn't really matter so long as it fits over your glasses?
Idle_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Nachoman
Workmanship Nazi

Saying 'a mask' can mean almost anything. Will you paint a paper plate and glue it to your forehead? Do you want a Venecian mask affixed to your glasses? A cocktail or Domino mask either affixed to a hat or to a handle? Do you want to carve a tribal mask weighting 50 pounds? A full Mickey Mouse head that you just happen to misname a mask?

And the ever important: What's your budget?
I'm through with assuming that people want to save money, then finding out their budget is greater than the sticker value of my computer.
Unread 08-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
catfetus

I was wondering what Idle Time posted about. Do you just want a mask to get in to the masquerade or do you actually want something that looks good?

I used to have glasses, and I found that if you really want to wear a mask then you still can. You can just put it on over your glasses and it will rest on the frames, your frames are nice and thick and boxy so it should work alright.
Are you wanting to buy a plastic mask and then alter it? Are you wanting one that covers just your eyes or your full face?
Just make sure to buy a plastic mask that is a bit wider and flatter (doesn't have a lot of pre-set grooves in it for eyes and nose and all that) and you should be able to wear that over the glasses just fine.

Another thing you could do that would be really fun and cool, and since your glasses frames are so thick, would be to use something like craft foam or cardboard to make a mask that clips or attaches on to the front of your glasses frames (this one would only be an eye-covering mask though).
catfetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Moonlit_Shadow

i would like a basic mask, something nice that would go with my outfit. its gonna be a hinata type thing so its sorta purpleish gray sparkly dress. my pocket money is kinda low also. so maybe simple things i could get at like walgreens or the dollar store. im willing to make it. i think i want something to cover about half my face but not covering my mouth.
Unread 08-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
Idle_Time

lol when you said Hinata, I'm assuming the one from Naruto (see attachment), my first idea was buying a half mask and adding a small clip to the back so it can attach to your glasses, then adding some light purple tinted plastic (under party supplies and such in cheap stores) under the eye pieces, getting some hot glue laid on it to make the veins and such to simulate when she uses her byakugan, then maybe paint it something contrasting, like a grey i think would be nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hinata-s-Byakugan-hinata-hyuga-973141_640_480.jpg (24.6 KB, 0 views)
Unread 08-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Nachoman
Workmanship Nazi

Now I'm lost. I have no idea what Moonlit-shadow just said.
Unread 08-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
Moonlit_Shadow

lol sorry i guess what i said is a little confusing. but thanks a whole lot idle time. i think ill do that.
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #9
Idle_Time

lol no problem, I'd love to see it when it's done. oh! since it's pretty cheap, you may want to experiment too, different eye shapes and such, maybe after its done make a kyuubi mask too, show her love of naruto lol
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
rubyredrose

I'm not sure what it is you're looking for, but... here's one way to have a mask with glasses: http://www.etsy.com/shop/TomBanwell?section_id=6458638

The other is to build the mask so it fits OVER the your glasses, as this does on me: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/108152/

Either works, and just depends on what kind of mask you have in mind.
rubyredrose is offline   Reply With Quote