Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > J-Rock/J-Pop > Vocaloid

Unread 08-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Dasz
is cold

KAITO COSPLAY - help please?

I'm cosplaying as Kaito, and I want to sew his jacket/coat and scarf :3

...I've actually never sewn my own clothing (or cosplayed) before, so I do feel kind of lost ^^; I have a few questions; if anyone could help me out that would be awesome!

1. What fabric(s) should I make the coat out of? I'd like it to be made of a stiffer material, but I don't want anything shiny like PVC.

2. Is there a pattern for his coat anyone can give me? I know this has been asked before, but in all the threads I searched in the pattern links were broken, or I got redirected to something else I suppose I could try making my own pattern, but I would really prefer it if I had one to work with

3. What fabric should I make his scarf out of? I would actually like to reuse it as an actual scarf....meaning I want to make it out of a nice durable material, so I can wear it in the winter for common purposes.

4. How much time should I set aside to make his outfit? Again, I'm a complete newbie at sewing clothes, so I'll probably need a lot more time than some of you guys XD I'm planning on making two cosplays for Detour '11 (which is in April). Do you think I'll be able to finish it all in time if I started gathering materials and sewing costumes in January? Also keep in mind that I have school....^^;

Please and thanks!
Dasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
kiratsukai
culture shocked

1) I usually see it in enamel or vinyl, though any fabric can be stiffened through the use of interfacing (fusable webbing).

2) There is a pattern with the Layers Bible. Beyond that, I've not seen a specific "KAITO coat" pattern. You could probably easily alter the pattern for a lab-coat or duster.

3) fleece is easy to work with ~ just cut and use a blanket stitch to finish the edges. If you want something more authentic, throw your hand to learning a bit of crocheting or knitting.

4) If you're new and/or hand-sewing, that adds a ton of time to the process. We can't tell you how much time you need since everyone has their own style and work ethic. Just give yourself ~plenty~. It isn't something you'll turn out in a day.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote