Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Other Reviews

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Wig Brand/Shop Review: Vellsus

Name of Merchant: Vellsus
Items ordered: medium long in honey gold for a Howl costume.
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: here

Timeline (how long your order took to process): The order was placed through otamap and took about one week to process even with some restocking issues. Shipping was within Japan.

I needed a blonde wig for my Halloween costume (Howl from "Howl's Moving Castle") and remembered how gorgeous and fun to wear my Raikou wig is. I immediately wanted another Vellsus!

It arrived packed with our Classe order (for Final Fantasy XIII character wigs) and was packed in a heavy duty ziplock bag wrapped in a wig net and stuffed with a bit of tissue paper with Vellsus tags attatched. It also came with a free yellowish-tan wig net ~ a color that seems to have been custom dyed for the less-yellowish Vellsus wigs.

Pros: Vellsus makes the most gorgeous down-style wigs I've ever seen or touched. The tight-fitting wig caps and thickly-rooted hair make for incredibly natural-looking long wigs and flowing styles. The fibers are soft and difficult to tangle and the colors are a bit more on the natural side than most cosplay wigs. I own two long Vellsus wigs now and both are the most flattering wigs I own, requiring the least makeup to pull off and the least maitanance to store and care for.

The wigs react to wind and sunlight like real hair and photograph beautifully in the elements. Just be careful, like real hair, they'll turn into a rat's nest with enough wind and rain.

On putting on this wig with my cheap lucky-bag Howl coat I realized I had chosen correctly The color and cut are perfect. With a bit of a trim and some wax blocking on the bangs ~ this wig will finish the set nicely.

The price (4,980 yen) is a bit steep for a non heat-resistant wig but nowhere near the astronomical asking prices of "Alice Forest". I feel the wig is more than worth it's price-tag.

Cons: Not resistant to high-heat styling.

Prone to flyaways.

In my opinion Vellsus wigs are not as well-suited to short cuts, volume-building, spiking and complex styling as cheaper, non-resistant wigs or "Alice Forest" wigs.

Final Comments: This is my second Vellsus in the medium long style and my third Vellsus in all. I'm every bit as pleased with the third as I have been the others. Vellsus wigs are worth every yenny (and then some).

Final Grade: 10

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 08-24-2010 at 07:22 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Merchant: Vellsus
Items ordered: a wolf shag in white silver for a White Rabbit costume.
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: coming

Timeline (how long your order took to process): The order was placed through otamap and took about one week to process. Shipping was within Japan.

In search of a somewhat natural, flattering matte white for the White Rabbit from "Are you Alice?"... I ended up choosing another Vellsus.

Pros: As usual, the wig cap is well made and tightly-fitted. The fibres are very soft and thickly-rooted with no bald or sparse spots visable anywhere. Extra rooting on the underside of the wig cap near the ears help hide a usual trouble spot and make the wig even more seamless.

As unnatural as shock white usually is, this particular white is a actually a very light silver with a matte look and just a little bit of lustre. The fibers are soft, don't tangle or snarl in the least. The muted color is surprisingly flattering and doesn't make my skin look splotchy or red.

Don't be fooled by the out of control appearance of the wolf shag in it's catalog photos, it arrives much tamer with only a bit of flip in the sides. I imagine it could easily be styled into the catalog photo state, but for my own purposes, a more relaxed wig is just what I needed.

The price (4,680 yen) is a bit steep but I feel the wig is more than worth it's price-tag.

This particular cut has some layers and bounce with make me think it will thin out and take to crazier styles much better than the medium longs and the very short. I usually recommend against Vellsus for heavy styling, but I actually think the wolf shag would be a great thick base for a spiked wig.

Cons: None really. I've gotten to the point where I trust Vellsus to deliver a gorgeous product in a flattering color every time.

It's a little greyer than I had expected, but I think it will appear much brighter in flash and outdoor lighting.

Final Comments: This is my first Vellsus in the wolf shag style and my fourth Vellsus in all. I'm every bit as pleased with this one as I have been the others.

Final Grade: 10

Last edited by kiratsukai : 11-12-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
genkimami

After reading your reviews, I'm extremely interested in trying a Vellsus wig. How much is shipping within Japan with Otamap? Are there any advantages to ordering from Otamap instead of ordering directly from Vellsus?
genkimami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by genkimami View Post
After reading your reviews, I'm extremely interested in trying a Vellsus wig. How much is shipping within Japan with Otamap? Are there any advantages to ordering from Otamap instead of ordering directly from Vellsus?
Otamap offers free shipping within Japan for orders of 8,000 yen or more. It's also a conglomerate site stocking products from about 20 different cosplay vendors, meaning you can buy items from multiple places at once and have them ship together. Those are really the only big advantages to using Otamap over ordering from Vellsus direct.

Vellsus also offers free shipping for orders of over 7,000 yen. But it must be 7,000 yen in Vellsus products only. Ordering from Vellsus will also get you a larger point-return, ocaisional free gifts and access to their mail-magazine which ocaisionally offers discount coupons.

I usually find that it works out that Otamap is a slightly better deal, provided you order enough for the free shipping to kick in.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 12-06-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
genkimami

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
It's also a conglomerate site stocking products from about 20 different cosplay vendors, meaning you can buy items from multiple places at once and have them ship together.
Makes so much sense, thank you!

Last edited by genkimami : 01-22-2011 at 08:00 PM.
genkimami is offline   Reply With Quote