Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Super Smash Bros.

Closed Thread
Unread 08-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
NovellistEiri

Samus Aran Comission! Please HELP~

Hello I have been looking for a decent quote for a Samus Aran costume to be made. I can spend a couple of hundred dollars on it but I don't want to exceed $1000. I have been getting these really EXPENSIVE quotes like $5k-$7k quotes. I am sure I can get some quotes totally cheaper than that. Please help me out!

Unread 08-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
catfetus

If you wanted something cheaper you'd basically be sacrificing quality for price.

Are you wanting to get the helmet made too? What about the gun?

I have seen some cheaper Samus suits that use a lot of craft foam, but things like those shoulders and helmet are difficult (time consuming) to make no matter how you look at them.

If you could pick some of the specific materials that you want certain parts to be made out of that could make it a bit cheaper if you can get them to do parts more cheaply than they otherwise would have.

Another option would be to just commission the parts you don't want to make yourself (like only shoulders or something). Craft foam is pretty easy to work with and could probably be used to make the entire leg armor and most of the arm stuff depending on how nicely you want it done.

Edit: Yeah, even for such a fancy costume 5k-7k seems pretty ridiculous. I could see it hitting 1000 (fursuits tend to run about that much or higher) but it can definitely be done for cheaper. I wish I knew where the picture was, but I saw a girl in a decent looking Samus costume recently and the limbs were mostly craft foam.

Last edited by catfetus : 08-26-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Unread 08-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
NovellistEiri

Well I don't have any kind of talent in making a big cosplay like that nor do I have the room..I guess craft foam would work well for me being that I am on a budget but more than $1000 is a bit too much for me to spend.
Unread 08-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

You're not going to get it for less than $1000. Even if it was made out of CARDBOARD, the cost of labor at minimum wage would be more than $1000. Complex armor like that takes thousands of hours to pattern and build, and expecting to get that much labor out of someone for a cheaper price is a little... unrealistic.

Selling Arda lace-front and Le Tigre wigs! Check my Marketplace lisitings.

Current Project: Abel Nightroad | Upcoming Cons: Otakon 2015 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
NovellistEiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilmarkGryphon View Post
You're not going to get it for less than $1000. Even if it was made out of CARDBOARD, the cost of labor at minimum wage would be more than $1000. Complex armor like that takes thousands of hours to pattern and build, and expecting to get that much labor out of someone for a cheaper price is a little... unrealistic.
I have found some before just at the time I didnt have a job and no type of income, now that I am working I am looking for the same people...I just cant find them...fml
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Mnemeth17

I agree with the above the time commitment needed to make a Samus Aran suit would definitely cost you at least $1000 in labor alone. My friend is in process of making it and it took her over 12 hours to just put together the basic frame of the helmet from cardstock. That's not counting the fiberglassing, padding, LED lights and painting it's going to need later. If you want it for less, you'll either need to buy just a few parts, or have them send armor bases that you can finish yourself. If it were me, I would probably be charging $500-700 for making all the cardstock bases of the armor alone. The prices you've been quoted sound fair to me.
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
ChrowX
Here to Help

Also keep in mind that anyone who builds this armor is either going to need a lot of measurements from you just to make it fit right, if at all, or they will need you around to build the armor.

I'm really surprised that you got quoted a price at all. In my experience this falls into the "Too difficult to commission" category. Full body armor is very difficult to make, even for your self.

While I'm sure you can find someone capable of making you some decent quality armor that will fit and look great, there's no way you're getting it under the thousand dollar mark. Give some serious consideration to making it yourself.
Unread 08-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
NovellistEiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrowX View Post
Also keep in mind that anyone who builds this armor is either going to need a lot of measurements from you just to make it fit right, if at all, or they will need you around to build the armor.

I'm really surprised that you got quoted a price at all. In my experience this falls into the "Too difficult to commission" category. Full body armor is very difficult to make, even for your self.

While I'm sure you can find someone capable of making you some decent quality armor that will fit and look great, there's no way you're getting it under the thousand dollar mark. Give some serious consideration to making it yourself.
I don't mind paying over 1k for it and I know for a fact that the LED lights are gonna be expensive by themselves. I just really don't think almost $7k quotes is a bit extreme. Yes I know times are HARD and people need money and all that jazz. I live in New York City...I don't have the space to build it myself...I just rather have somebody else make it for me.
Closed Thread