Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Fullmetal Alchemist

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Frufello

[FMA] Acquiring State Alchemist Watch? (minus inscription)

I'm looking to buy a state alchemist pocket watch, *without* the inscription inside. Planning to cosplay as Lt. Major Armstrong, and I want a generic pocket watch, not Ed's. Every online retailer I can find only has watches with the inscription. It's a minor detail but it'd irk me. If anyone has a lead on where I could find that, it'd be greatly appreciated.

(Also, if anyone has any idea / tips / guides for crafting or buying a good pair of Armstrong gauntlets, they'd not go unheeded.)
Frufello is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

my mustang and i looked high and low for one, sadly all we could find was ed's watch. i would say check ebay and if you find one without the inscription, jump on it because it is a pretty rare find

also check ebay for gauntlets... the only way i can think of for making them is to take regular black gloves and put some kind of shiny material on them, and somehow stuff the spikes with padding and hand-stitch the circles on them

i'd like to see the finished product. it takes just the right person to make a good armstrong ^_^

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

I saw an Armstrong who made his gauntlets either out of cardboard or craftfoam. He did such a good job I couldn't tell which (though I would say "cardboard" if I was forced to make a guess). It was painted silver and looked very good.
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Frufello

Found one I like

I haven't been able to find a single version of the state alchemist pocket watch for sale anywhere without the inscription. Even worse, most of the ones I have found have been of very low quality / accuracy. Most of them feature the dragon on the front cover, but the timepiece itself is wildly inaccurate to the source material (some don't even actually keep time), and the back is usually stamped either with Izumi's symbol or a "Fullmetal Alchemist" label. They're quite small too. Most of the ones I looked at were about an inch and a half in diameter.

The best one I've found so far, does unfortunately have the inscription, but it's also very faithful to the original design, both on the front and back covers, and in regards to the timepiece itself. It's a nice size, at 2.1 inches across, and seems to be of quite high quality. It's available for purchase from the ANISHOPFORYOU ebay store.

There are three different versions too, shiny, matte, or tarnished. I ordered one of the shiny ones and am just going to see if I can remove the inscription myself without damaging the watch.

If anyone has any tips on buffing out laser etchings, I'd love to hear em.

Still looking for some high quality spiked Armstrong gauntlets, or a good guide on how to craft some myself.
Frufello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Rairi

I don't think they make them non-inscribed. Which annoys me too, since I am trying to be Roy. What I would think is that if you get one of the painted-on inscriptions, you could sand it off, and if it is engraved in you could use some sort of filler from the hardware store to make it flush, then paint it a matching colour. Some of them have raised inscriptions which...just don't make any sense.

As for the gauntlets, craft foam would be a very cost-effective and durable choice. Look for tutorials on how to make craft-foam armor, cause they've got good advice on how to make it look like metal. I'd think it would be stronger and more versatile than cardboard.
Rairi is offline   Reply With Quote