Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 03-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #76
Fairy Tales

Mostly commissioners are just busy sometimes that is why it take time for them to reply, but they should at least update their costumers, happened to me lots of time, it gives me worries when they do not reply fast i felt like being scammed but wen they finally reply its a relief this thread is helpfully, i will become more patient now
Fairy Tales is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #77
alicechance

I'm really new here, so I just wanted to check that I'm being reasonable. I commissioned a costume back in October and paid most of it up front (although the commissioner only asked for half). We set a deadline of late March and went off on our merry ways with plenty of time up our sleeves. A bit over a week ago, I emailed her because the deadline was approaching and I'd had no word from her. A few days later, I tried again. I noticed that I'd said "March 2013" in one email (although 2012 in another) and thought maybe she'd been working to that date. If so, that was fine, it was my fault, but asked her to please let me know in case I needed to start looking for alternatives. Still no word, although she had time to post photos of cats to her Facebook page. Yesterday I emailed her again, saying that if she didn't reply in 24 hours, I was going to have to go to Plan B because the event was fast approaching. I also posted on her Facebook wall in case there was a problem with her email.

It's been 21 hours and no response, though she's had time to delete my Facebook post and repost some more photos to her own Facebook page. I've contacted her through Facebook message, Cosplay.com, Etsy and DeviantArt. When the time is up, is it reasonable to post a negative review and start talking to Paypal to see if there's any way I can get my money back?

I still really want the costume, she seemed so nice, I still really want this to go ahead, so I'm wary of burning my bridges but I think I might just be being stupidly naive.
alicechance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #78
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

PayPal won't help you at this point...products or not, their policy says 45 days and after that, well they won't do anything. You could look into your bank though. Your bank may be able to have you file a fraud claim or something of the like. I'd actually talk to them now so they can get involved ASAP. It is more than fair to give this commissioner a bad review. You haven't heard from them in months. I'm really paranoid about things, so even if I have to pay a rush fee, I really won't commission things from anyone unless it's within two or three months so I have time to take action against them if needed. As I've been scammed several times, but gotten my money back. With PayPal, all you can do is report her. I've not known PayPal to do anything for anyone passed the 45 day mark. If your bank won't help, if you paid with a credit card, you could try the credit card company. Sadly, I've been told most credit card companies write you off and tell you to go to your bank and then the bank tells you to go to the credit card company. Luckily, my bank was very helpful, but they also had a time frame and I only had one day to fill out the paperwork and turn it in. So make sure to check with your bank about it.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #79
D'Rose

I've learnt something from commissioning and I've done plenty of it. I like to be prepared and order costume's/props aaage's in advance however I will no longer mention that to commissioner's. It seem's like some of them use my four month deadline to do all the work the week before and then they panic and the item always arrive's late (luckilly I always set my deadline earlier so I've never not had something even though I've come close). So yes, always say you need the item as soon as is possible and stay very aware of the paypal 45 day dispute. If you receive no update/progress photo's by then- warn and then file with paypal.

I am not really sympathetic to the commissioner's having their own lives and other job's to do- once they take your money they should act proffessional and if they find they can't complete the item then they should return it to you.
D'Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #80
HappehPills

Good to know that I'm not alone with these worries!

I've been trying to keep myself from 'scaring' off the commissioners by sending them too many e-mails, but sometimes it gets to the point where you notice their 'communications' begin to change, and you can't help but worry.

I commissioned a girl for two wigs on February, everything started out fine. Doesn't it always? We got half of the payment through, she told me what she was going to do with both of the wigs, explained in detail how she will work with them, overall, I was extremely pleased. Especially since it was the first time I ever commissioned someone and all I've seen were positive reviews from her and I liked how she worked with the wigs. It all seemed fine at the start...fast forward to early April...and NO SIGN of update status, of information being sent my way, nor pictures even. I sent her a note, nada. I wait, I send her another note, nada. Then I see someone commenting on her page from March about how they were concerned with their wig and how she wasn't replying, then I saw a reply to that same comment "hidden". Uh-oh. This made me even more worried.

So I finally contact her by e-mail and I tell her that if she does not reply, I will ask Paypal to refund me the money, and...lo and behold, she replies! The same day! She seems to come up with an excuse every time that people send her an e-mail asking her to reply. I spoke with the other unhappy client and I was told that she had gotten an excuse from her about her "internet not working". Then I received a message from the commissioner with a similar excuse. "Her note system wasn't working." Well, I still haven't gotten my wigs. I sent her another e-mail today and here's hoping it all goes well. :/

Sadly, this is just one of the many bad stories I have to share.
HappehPills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #81
errido
Milzarr

O.O
Actually, as a commissioner, many people gave me reference pictures and asked for quotes. Of the many people who asked, 50% didn't reply. 10% said they were short of money at the moment. 5% send me the front payment and 35% agreed with the price but disappeared ;D

Cosplay plans:

Nikon D7000+35mm F/1.8
errido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #82
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

Because shipping is so expensive, (and because there aren't many Canadian commissioners) I will only ship to Canada, and my ad says that... twice.
So, I will ignore all commission requests from anyone who says they live in the US, or anywhere other than Canada.. If they're not going to take the time to read my ad, I'm not going to take the time to respond to their e-mail.
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #83
ecuadorianeyezz
I.M. the Art of the Dress

Hmmm, I've never gotten anything commissioned before, so this will be my first time, and I'm hoping I don't get scammed...X_X But, with that said, I try not to be nagging as well when I sent in for a quote....I don't want them to think I'm annoying and run off, especially when I'm serious about commissioning. lol

And now that I've sent my half-payment, I had another question, and sent the message, and now I feel horribly cause I feel like I'm bombarding the poor girl. >_<

NEXT CON
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2014 (September 26-28)

PLANNED COSPLAYS
MLP:FiM Rainbow Dash: 100% complete
PaSwG School Uniform Stocking: 85% complete
Crossover Cosplay-ORG XIII Stocking (PaSwG/KH): 60% complete
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Sailor Mars: 65% complete

Last edited by ecuadorianeyezz : 06-11-2012 at 07:19 PM.
ecuadorianeyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #84
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuadorianeyezz View Post
Hmmm, I've never gotten anything commissioned before, so this will be my first time, and I'm hoping I don't get scammed...X_X But, with that said, I try not to be nagging as well when I sent in for a quote....I don't want them to think I'm annoying and run off, especially when I'm serious about commissioning. lol

And now that I've sent my half-payment, I had another question, and sent the message, and now I feel horribly cause I feel like I'm bombarding the poor girl. >_<
Message her all you want... Personally, i prefer it when i get a lot of messages... Lets me know when I'm making it how the client wants it, or, doesn't want it... It's much easier to make it right when i get lots of feedback early on.
If a commissioner has a problem with a lot of questions and comments, then you might want to consider someone else.. It's your money after all.
Unread 06-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #85
Efecss

When I first started doing commissions, I had this one "woman" who wanted a Supergirl costume for a photoshoot. No specific date or anything. But she also wanted a custom delta on her chest. Well, I sent her a partially done leotrd with skirt, to see how it fit before I finished it. Well, she waited over 6 months to send it back, and wanted it done in a week. And I had to almost totally deconstruct the whole thing and remake it. And even after I was done, she didn't like it. If I had a week more, I could have done a better job.

The "not responding" part of this, is that she just blew off putting this thing in the mail, even after I phoned her, talked to her about getting it in the mail. But she didn't want to take the time to go to the post office.
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #86
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Questions are always welcome. What you find commissioners complaining about is clients who email to ask "so how's it coming?" every single week, if not every other day. I know I love answering questions, particularly if it'll help ease the customer's mind or get us both on the same page for what is expected out of the costume. But if you're not asking actual, important questions and just want to know if I started it yet, then chances are good it's annoying. It's not going to make me stop working on your order, but it's annoying. XD

I mean that in the general "you" sense, not any clients in particular who may or may not be reading the thread. Actually, I've had a fabulous track record with customers, I've never really had a nag. Everybody's so good about it. But honest questions, go for it, and don't worry. Any commissioner who won't happily field questions during the process is asking to get a poor review for customer service.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #87
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

I try my very best to keep up with communication and sometimes it does take me a little longer to get back to someone. Though, usually if there is a commission already in progress, I will give out my personal number to text questions and pictures with, so long as they don't call me. It does bother me when they send multiple emails a day or week asking for updates...

The feeling is both ways though, it bothers me when I contact someone about their potential commission and never hear anything. Because I have taken the time and interest to contact you, and even if you've already found someone else, I'd appreciate it if you contacted me back as well (by, "you" I mean in a general sense as well).

Last edited by Mykaios : 07-13-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #88
Rangiku12
&lt;3 Old School &lt;3

I am getting my very first commission and I too am a bit on edge about it. I answered all her questions,gave her my measurements she asked for then gave her more info. Closest thing I get to progress photos are the ones she has on her FB but other than a few messages I am worried cause She seems like really busy and she is making outfits for herself and posting them but all I see of mine are some black,white, and pink fabric rolled up on the floor..I know i may be just jumpy but how can i not be?

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #89
ecuadorianeyezz
I.M. the Art of the Dress

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrancar12 View Post
I am getting my very first commission and I too am a bit on edge about it. I answered all her questions,gave her my measurements she asked for then gave her more info. Closest thing I get to progress photos are the ones she has on her FB but other than a few messages I am worried cause She seems like really busy and she is making outfits for herself and posting them but all I see of mine are some black,white, and pink fabric rolled up on the floor..I know i may be just jumpy but how can i not be?
I definitely understand! I'm getting my first commission done, and from hearing all the horror stories, I'm just antsy ^_^ But I try my best not to bother her with tons of HOW IS IT COMING ALONG's. lol I do it every two weeks, at the least....And I even feel like THAT'S annoying. ^___^ You're completely fine for feeling that way, just space your inquiries on updates a bit.

NEXT CON
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2014 (September 26-28)

PLANNED COSPLAYS
MLP:FiM Rainbow Dash: 100% complete
PaSwG School Uniform Stocking: 85% complete
Crossover Cosplay-ORG XIII Stocking (PaSwG/KH): 60% complete
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Sailor Mars: 65% complete
ecuadorianeyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #90
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

My problem as a commissioner is customers who don't respond. They ask for a quote then disappear. This only annoys me because I take all my quotes seriously and I take one of my open spots on my commissions list and make it "on hold" this means that other serious cilents don't have the opportunity to get this spot.