Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
AelitaHopper17
Lyoko Warrior

Wii Fit

Has anyone tried exercising using Wii Fit? My mother bought it because I have a Wii (and I live with my parents). I have used it a few times (though, I confess, not consistently). I don't think it's had much of an impact on my weight, but there are a variety of exercises. I do particularly well with some of the yoga stretches. I used to be wary of yoga because, like many Christians, all I used to know about yoga was its ties to Eastern religions. But through this game, I've found they're quite harmless (though I suppose one could mix spirituality with yoga if one wanted; I don't). The one pose I've gotten quite good at is the Warrior. I've also done some strength exercises, but I'm not that great at those because my balance stinks.

So has anyone else exercised this way?

Avatar from Code Lyoko Icons LJ Community

Attended cons:

Animé Los Angeles '11

Finished cosplays:

Pokémon Ranger Solana (ALA '11 Days 2 & 3)

Planned cons:

Anime Conji 2011 (maybe)
San Diego Comic-Con '11 (previously went in '01, '08-'10)

Planned cosplays:

None planned at this time

Potential future cosplays:

Hououji Fuu (Magic Knight Rayearth)
Princess Pluto (Sailor Moon)
Aelita Hopper or Yumi Ishiyama (Code Lyoko)
AelitaHopper17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Chihaku
Master of Mana

(Yay! A lyoko fan! ^_^)

I think it is a good way to exercise if it is raining or something like that. Usually, I think exercising with real scenery is much more exhilarating. I really don't know how good the wii fit is, but I just think exercising in real life scenery is much better unless you live in a terribly bleak and bland place. I honestly want a wii fit, but my room is so cramped and I think I'll knock my dresser over. XD
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
AelitaHopper17
Lyoko Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihaku View Post
(Yay! A lyoko fan! ^_^)
Indeed we Lyoko fans are few these days (though I used to be on a forum devoted to it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihaku View Post
I think it is a good way to exercise if it is raining or something like that. Usually, I think exercising with real scenery is much more exhilarating. I really don't know how good the wii fit is, but I just think exercising in real life scenery is much better unless you live in a terribly bleak and bland place. I honestly want a wii fit, but my room is so cramped and I think I'll knock my dresser over. XD
I see your point. Nothing beats actually getting outside in nature.

I feel your anxiety also. I bump into our couch half the time playing this game (I've only played it in our living room, since that is my Wii's temporary home; one of these days I'm going to haul it back upstairs to my room). Usually, I move the couch back or something.

Avatar from Code Lyoko Icons LJ Community

Attended cons:

Animé Los Angeles '11

Finished cosplays:

Pokémon Ranger Solana (ALA '11 Days 2 & 3)

Planned cons:

Anime Conji 2011 (maybe)
San Diego Comic-Con '11 (previously went in '01, '08-'10)

Planned cosplays:

None planned at this time

Potential future cosplays:

Hououji Fuu (Magic Knight Rayearth)
Princess Pluto (Sailor Moon)
Aelita Hopper or Yumi Ishiyama (Code Lyoko)
AelitaHopper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Azzie
Squishy alchemist

Yoga's actually pretty good for you! It improves your posture, muscle tone, and can even help you lose weight in the long run. It might take a little longer than more rigorous exercises, but it's no less important.

Wiifit is helpful for people who live on a tight schedule, or who simply don't have anywhere nearby they can go to exercise. Even the smallest amount of exercise makes a huge difference, I try to get about an hour a day in, on top of whatever else I'm doing. But even if you don't use Wiifit for the exercises, you can use it to keep track of weight loss, if that's what you're after.

It's as accurate of a scale as you're going to get in the home.
Unread 08-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
Gingersweet

I really like the Wiifit, if you use it on a regular basis, for something like an hour like Azzie said, it'd probably help. (I say probably because I only use it at my cousin's house. I don't own a wii. xD)

Also, you always want to remember when excersising, that you don't always lose weight. Even if you're getting skinnier, you can also be adding on muscle. And muscle weighs much more than fat. :]

So if you've been excerising and feel like you might have slimmed down, but the numbers really aren't lining up, try taking you're measurements instead. Compare and contrast waist and hips and whatever else you want to thin out.
Handmade, professional, and convention safe props custom made for you!
Conventions:
  • EXP Con October 8-10
  • ShadoCon November 5-7
Cosplays:
  • General Beatrix Final Fantasy IX :: 20% Complete
Gingersweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
SapphireChaos

Personally, I think Wii Active works better at cardio and muscle building than Wii Fit. I feel that it's more encouraging and I definately could feel the workout about ten minutes in, while I didn't feel much working with Wii Fit.

However, I do love Wii Fit's yoga It really stretches you and helps with balance.
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - 0%
[?] Jun (Avatar the Last Airbender) - 0%
SapphireChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
Chirudesu
Flash Goddess Chiru

I'm feeling very guilty. I have a Wii fit, and I don't use it as often as I should ;__; but when I did use it consistenly for a few weeks, I lost weight! It does work, and it's great for any kind of exercise you need. If someone is a meathead or one of those people that 'needs to feel like they're dying while exercising,' then it might not be for them, but you do get muscles worked, soreness if you work hard enough, and even cardio. It's great, really!

私の世界 夢と恋と不安で出来てる。。。
Chirudesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
kristihasukie

I heard Wii Fit is not as good as working out... but everything work out is so contraversal
PM me if you want to be invited to a Private [18+] Event at Oni-Con & Blizz-Con.
kristihasukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Sethora

To the OP: Yoga has never had ANYTHING to do with the Karma Sutra when it was originated. Please, before you assume that something created farther back than we can record was made for the sole purpose of sex, do your homework. Also, in Indian belief, the Karma Sutra was passed on to man kind from their fertility god, as a gift, and as a philosophy, and it is, basically in translation, "The Art of Love".

Quote:
"Ancient Indian texts describe achievement of Dharma (religion), Arth (Wealth), Kama (pleasures) and Moksha (salvation) as four basic goals governing the three distinct stages of human life – childhood, youth and old age. Vatsyayana instructs that a sensible and righteous man must segregate his lifetime wisely so that he can practice religion, wealth as well as carnal pleasures. He, however, also warned that humans should be careful about not letting one infringe or encroach upon the other. And it is basically the information about carnal pleasures that Vatsyayana provided in the Kamasutra."
Please read this. I'm not trying to start a war, but I greatly dislike it when people blindly believe something. Goes to show you how much the "Western Culture" perverts other religions.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristihasukie View Post
I heard Wii Fit is not as good as working out... but everything work out is so contraversal
And you're hearing that from the personal trainers and people who work in gyms, who lose money if people stay home and exercise with their Wiis instead of going and paying for the trainers or the gym memberships.

And remember, boys and girls, Wii Fit doesn't just have yoga - they have many types of games aimed at many types of workouts. Yoga, Aerobics, Strength Training, and Balance Training. Those of you that don't know that obviously don't check out your games thuroughly.

Let's address these exercises in order:

Yoga - Good for Balance and Flexibility. Helps you learn your center of balance (CoB) for more difficult workouts. A good place to start for Yoga.

Aerobics: The hula hoop game, the races, etc. - Suposedly the BEST form of exercise to lose weight. Why? Because you are using your ENTIRE body, not just a portion of it.

Strength: Push ups, sit ups, squats, etc. - More muscle = better metabolism. The better metabolism you have, the faster your body processes food, and the less likely it is that you're going to gain as much weight from said food.

Balance: Tightrope walking, etc. - Helps with posture and balance, as well as it retrains some of your muscles. You must have good balance in order to properly build muscle or to properly do aerobic exercises.

Granted, your Wii Fit, like any other form of exercise, needs to be done daily, for a predetermined ammount of time, and you must do a VARIETY of exercizes, to target different areas. Failing to do so is like going to the gym, burning odd 1,000 calories, and then going to McDonalds. You just wasted all of that effort, and nothing was gained. Exercise must also be coupled with a good balance of foods in your diet, and homemade foods tend to have less calories than pre-made foods.

And for those of us that don't live in California, and it reaches -50 in the winter, we dn't have the lovely option of walking outside in the winter, and I barely had that option this summer, and I'm only in Alberta, Canada. I think we've had maybe a month of total nice weather here in Calgary all summer. At most. I walk my dogs when I can, but for those of us that can't afford the gym pass, nor the personal trainer, we have to resort to other things, like Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and DDR.

You NEVER see results immediately when you exercize, nor do you see them if you've only been "occasionally" exercising. You need to be rigerous about it, if you're serious. Wii Fit is a great tool, but it means nothing if you're not dedicated. I'm sure any fitness person can tell you. Even if you go to a gym, you have to go every day, not just once or twice a week, if you want to see some big results.
Other Costumes:
Harry Potter & The Deathly Hollows Pt. 2 - Luna Lovegood
Next Years Possibilities:
Kingdom Hearts - Marluxia
Hellsing - Pip Bernadette
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - Fai D. Flowrite
Sethora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
rosebowl89

Granted the Wii fit isnt going to be as successful as a really intense workout, but anything that gets you moving and active will be successful in the long run, and it might be better in some way because its probably easier to stick to than an intense workout at the gym.

Last edited by rosebowl89 : 08-30-2010 at 01:43 PM.
rosebowl89 is offline   Reply With Quote