Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

you have the same problem I do =.= I've been drinking protein drinks and working out lately and it doesn't do much for meeee.

I mean, granted I'm taller than you but for my weight apparently I'm underweight
Soul Eater: Blaire(male)- Page 12, Chapter 73.
Male Dagger/Garnet: Final Fantasy-9

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Braithcakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #17
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braithcakes View Post
you have the same problem I do =.= I've been drinking protein drinks and working out lately and it doesn't do much for meeee.

I mean, granted I'm taller than you but for my weight apparently I'm underweight
your just probably not hitting the adaquate calorie intake. Eat more :P I know your probably sick of hearing that but my friends have to eat 4,000-5,000 calories to grow fast, my friend started taking weight gainer 1,200 calorie shakes an eating more, he's gained 10 pounds in a month of weight training, although he's just started out doing it seriously this month. (when you start out you gain muscle the fastest) but still 10 pounds is amazing for a ectomorph who's probably under 6-7% bodyfat.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

That was me about 3 years ago. The most I weighed was 115 [im 5'7] and the least was 95. It didnt matter what I did. Idk what changed, but I can state the few things i noticed:

-I went to college, no longer had to take a gym class.
-Started drinking.
-Got a car. Didn't have to walk or anything anywhere.
-Got my own place, stopped eating home cooked meals. Ate pasta. Every. Day.

...also, if you start working out...like...to build muscle, you'll gain muscle weight.

Just asking, out of pure curiosity:
Do you take any medications for ADD/ADHD? Cuz once my friend stopped that she gained like, 20 lbs.
Also, do you smoke? Quitting smoking WILL make you gain weight.
In the works: Sora, KHII | InuYasha, InuYasha | Rogue, X-Men

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
Mimiru1618

I'm 20 years ol, have a car, go to college (but the parking is messed up so you HAVE to walk to some classes), I live at home but I'm moving out in January. Don't take gym though. I do not smoke and I used to take stretera nd riddilin when I was younger, but because they severely changed my mood (I was seriously crazy) and stopped my growth, I stopped taking them~.

I'm going to try some more red meats, sadly I can't do anything about what my mom cooks
Modern Trap Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji

Possible Future Cosplays
Cross Marian - D. Gray Man
Adell - Disgaea 2
Flonne - Disgaea
Cosmos - Dissidia
Yulia - Tales of the Abyss
Lucrecia Crescent - Dirge of Cerberus
Lelouch - Code Geass
Mimiru1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
spazzerbot

I have the same problem. I can eat as much as I want and still not gain weight.
I weigh a bit less than normal now, because I recently found I am lactose intolerant and now I can't eat a lot of fattening food like ice cream and butter.
When I go to the Dr for check-ups they accuse me of being anorexic and ask if I skip meals.

I don't worry about it much though, because I stay at basically the same weight all the time. If you're not gaining, but not losing either I think it's not something to be too worried about, but I don't really know. I think maybe you could be worrying too much by weighing yourself all the time. I weigh five pounds more when I go to bed than when I wake up.

I work at a coffee shop, and one time I had a lady come in and say she needed to gain weight so make the most fattening drink I could.
A breve, real white mocha (not syrup) latte, with whipped cream. There has to be around 800 calories in that...at least. Maybe try drinking a few of those. ~.^

Good luck!
spazzerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #21
DragonBlade

ah, that is definitely a bit like me

except i'm 16 (but growing very slowly)

5'2" as well and fluctuating between 94-100
never been past that
good thing is, i haven't stopped growing yet
and i am still (very slowly) gaining height and weight

i also eat a lot
i sit at the computer and eat pocky, finish that box, eat a slice of cheesecake, wait an hour, go out, eat at a buffet, wait 3 hours, get seconds on dessert, and so on
i try to avoid insanely unhealthy foods like twinkies and donuts, but i don't even think twice about candy, chocolate, pizza, meat, cake...

i actually, do gain weight
but it's more of a eat +3lbs
go to school -1lb
go to sleep -2lb
WTF i just CANNOT keep that weight on

my net gain is like 1 lb a year and i can fit my shorts from 4 years ago

but oddly, i don't lose anymore weight than i usually do even if i run track or play ddr
i don't lose extra weight either if i skip lunch at school

eh, just curious about your body shape though, cause i'm a girl, and lets just say i would have no problem crossplaying as a guy (actually, i've been mistaken for a guy before) i wouldn't say i'm really, really skinny, just overall kinda small, what about u?
DragonBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #22
Rhazia

DragonBlade - From the sounds of it, you're pretty young. I wouldn't worry about it. It's normal to have a crazy metabolism when you're growing. Maybe you'll fill out, maybe you'll stay tiny. Just go with it. Also, just because you can get away with loading up on the bad stuff doesn't mean you should. Enjoy it while it lasts, I guess, but don't over do it. Being thin isn't the same as being healthy.

But yeah, I can relate to the OP. I have to make a conscious effort to eat a few extra meals a day or I'll lose weight. If you're not gaining weight, just eat more and strength train. If that doesn't work, eat even more and strength train. If that doesn't work, see your doctor.

Last edited by Rhazia : 09-02-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: I can't spell! D=
Rhazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #23
DragonBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespairedPheonix View Post
That was me about 3 years ago. The most I weighed was 115 [im 5'7] and the least was 95. It didnt matter what I did. Idk what changed, but I can state the few things i noticed:

-I went to college, no longer had to take a gym class.
-Started drinking.
-Got a car. Didn't have to walk or anything anywhere.
-Got my own place, stopped eating home cooked meals. Ate pasta. Every. Day.

...also, if you start working out...like...to build muscle, you'll gain muscle weight.

Just asking, out of pure curiosity:
Do you take any medications for ADD/ADHD? Cuz once my friend stopped that she gained like, 20 lbs.
Also, do you smoke? Quitting smoking WILL make you gain weight.
ok now i know ADD/ADHD meds make u lose weight

is it because they contribute to loss of appetite (which doesn't affect me because my dosage is so low it doesn't do much, but i'm not telling that to my mom or doctor) or something else?
DragonBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #24
shinigamimeroko

Well, I have the same problem too, I just can't gain weight x.x; I've been doing a bit of exercise and eating a lot more than before for like a year now, and I did gain some weight at first... but then I just kept it o.O I haven't lost any more weight but I can't seem to gain it either o.O; maybe more exercise and eating more might help, since it did work at first... but my husband says I eat too much already x.x; I don't know what else to do x.x; I could try to drink more milk, but I'm very slightly lactose intolerant so I can't drink more than 1 glass a day... still, I will try x.x; is there anything else I could do?
Btw, I'm 24 o.O;
shinigamimeroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #25
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Shinigami - like I recommended for the OP, one of the most useful things, when you struggle with weight (gaining or losing) is getting a firm idea of just how much you eat everyday.

Keep a little notebook or get an app or something that will let you keep track of everything you eat, notated immediately. Guesstimate the calories, or look them up if you don't know how much is there.

Average out what you get each day over a weeks time. Is this the amount you need to maintain your weight? Then make sure you get about 200-300 more calories on average each day for 2 or 3 weeks. Are you slowly gaining some weight? Perfect! You do NOT want to rush these things.

Also making sure you spread your calories out throughout the day can help a lot too. Your body can only absorb and make so much use of any one meal. The rest is treated as waste or stored as fat. So try to make sure you are eating at least 4 "meals" a day.

Edit - If that is you in your gallery, fair point to assume, you are probably in about the shape that many people in the losing weight cosplay thread are aiming for. So keeping a healthy understanding of body image is important too.

Last edited by Rjr3412 : 09-10-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #26
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

I had the same issue... only I was 5'7 and 108 lbs during high school. I was... a stick. After I took the birth control pill i slowly gained wait until i was 120lbs.... any time I worked out I could drop 10 lbs after a few work out sessions. Now i'm 133lbs (6 years later....)and I feel a bit safer about working out.
My only issue is that working out takes away my appetite... so protein shakes/weight gainers will likely be utilized...
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #27
shinigamimeroko

Oh, I see~ thanks for the advice, I will do that then ^_^ I'm only aiming to gain a few more pounds, to reach my ideal weight, but also, I want to build up the muscles in my leg x.x; when I was thinner I had problems with my joints and such, and since I started gaining weight I got a lot better... but the problem is that I stopped gaining weight with just a few pounds to go to reach my ideal weight x.x; I want to gain weight mainly in my arms and legs, I supposed that is with exercise, but I don't want to exercise too much because I'm afraid to lose weight. Is it that the more I exercise, the more I should eat? At least exercising makes me hungry, so I think when I exercise I eat more, but, like you said, I should keep track of what I eat x.x;
shinigamimeroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #28
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Exercising will definitely be very useful in getting your appetite up. And for the most part it is extremely easy to eat more calories than you burn off in the gym.

If you want to put on some muscle mass / tone / gain healthy weight, resistance exercises and lifting weights are going to be some of the most useful things.

Your body needs to be given a reason to grow muscle. It doesn't just happen. Biologically speaking the body wants to be as efficient/lazy as possible. If a certain amount of muscle is adequate to do everything you do on a regular basis it has no need to grow more. Give it a reason.

This does not mean to hop on the hip abductor machines for an hour everyday *wags finger*. You want to do nice compound movements - push-ups, pull-ups, squats, good mornings. Don't be afraid of lifting heavier either, if you can do 10-12 reps with good form and can't squeeze out any more without rest, then you are probably at a good weight/resistance.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #29
ByronSpiegal
The CoPness

You can't go wrong with Body Fortress Protein from Walmart 15 bucks for 2 lbs, it'll last you about a month if you use it regularly

My Web comic Twin Shadow

CoP's One true Kamen Rider

Weeaboo Slayer for hire
ByronSpiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #30
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronSpiegal View Post
You can't go wrong with Body Fortress Protein from Walmart 15 bucks for 2 lbs, it'll last you about a month if you use it regularly
you can if your lactose intolerant, I'll leave a visible gas trail if I take that stuff!

Vitamin Shoppe $42.99 for 5 pounds of Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey protein. <3 has more BCAA's and Glutamine + Lactase for lactose intolerant people
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote