Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #31
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigamimeroko View Post
Well, I have the same problem too, I just can't gain weight x.x; I've been doing a bit of exercise and eating a lot more than before for like a year now, and I did gain some weight at first... but then I just kept it o.O I haven't lost any more weight but I can't seem to gain it either o.O; maybe more exercise and eating more might help, since it did work at first... but my husband says I eat too much already x.x; I don't know what else to do x.x; I could try to drink more milk, but I'm very slightly lactose intolerant so I can't drink more than 1 glass a day... still, I will try x.x; is there anything else I could do?
Btw, I'm 24 o.O;

Lactose free milk

Then there's also Organic Lactose free milk, then there's also Goat's milk which doesn't contain any lactose naturally.

Lactaid Tablets

Also taking things like Papaya enzymes will help eat more food without upsetting your stomach cause it's a digestive enzyme which helps your digestion rate.

If you really want to gain weight

This is what body builders take to allow them to eat more, which sounds crazy but ectomorphs (naturally skinny people) need all the extra calories they can get, I just feel bad cause they'll often eat $300+ in food a week!

My friend's taking this right now, he's 6'3 120 pounds 2 years ago, he's 6'3 and 190 pounds of lean body mass right now, taking about 10,000 - 15,000 calories a day.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #32
ThirdLeap

Hi,

I have this problem. I'm around 5'6 and weigh about 110 lbs and I've changed around my weight a lot. Two years ago I was around 105 lbs, and then within a year I went up to 120lbs... and then several months later, down to 110.

I was on one of my universities varsity athletics teams, and I was one of two with this problem, the rest had to lose weight. My coach told me it's not about weight gainers, or powders and protein shakes, it's about resolve. He said that it's just about eating healthy, eating often and exercise. Sure enough it worked. I'd eat healthier, and more often, and did a lot of strength training and cardio. I didn't gain as fast as he wanted, but it happened. I gained about 15 pounds in several months. It requires work, and it takes time, but it'll happen if you're dedicated, just like losing weight.

When I stopped with the team, I began to lose the weight, until now, where I hover around 110 steadily. I want to gain the weight again, I don't usually feel healthy weighing so little. The one thing that helped more than anything was feeling pressure to have results, I felt I needed to live up to the team, and we all supported each other. So I thought it could be the same here, forums and communication can help people stay on track!

Remember to eat and drink healthy and often, several small meals a day! Milk and Juices have more calories than water, where as coke is lots of calories but they are all empty calories. No chocolate or crap food, eat nutella if you want chocolate! No potato chips, eat an apple, or cheese, or oatmeal! It was small stuff like that, that over time helped me gain weight healthy, mixed with regular exercise. I know everyone is different though, so just remember to eat healthy and exercise!

Conventions 2011
Anime North

Anime North Cosplay

№ 1:
Beast Boy
№ 2:
BSAA Soldier

ThirdLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #33
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdLeap View Post
Hi,

I have this problem. I'm around 5'6 and weigh about 110 lbs and I've changed around my weight a lot. Two years ago I was around 105 lbs, and then within a year I went up to 120lbs... and then several months later, down to 110.

I was on one of my universities varsity athletics teams, and I was one of two with this problem, the rest had to lose weight. My coach told me it's not about weight gainers, or powders and protein shakes, it's about resolve. He said that it's just about eating healthy, eating often and exercise. Sure enough it worked. I'd eat healthier, and more often, and did a lot of strength training and cardio. I didn't gain as fast as he wanted, but it happened. I gained about 15 pounds in several months. It requires work, and it takes time, but it'll happen if you're dedicated, just like losing weight.

When I stopped with the team, I began to lose the weight, until now, where I hover around 110 steadily. I want to gain the weight again, I don't usually feel healthy weighing so little. The one thing that helped more than anything was feeling pressure to have results, I felt I needed to live up to the team, and we all supported each other. So I thought it could be the same here, forums and communication can help people stay on track!

Remember to eat and drink healthy and often, several small meals a day! Milk and Juices have more calories than water, where as coke is lots of calories but they are all empty calories. No chocolate or crap food, eat nutella if you want chocolate! No potato chips, eat an apple, or cheese, or oatmeal! It was small stuff like that, that over time helped me gain weight healthy, mixed with regular exercise. I know everyone is different though, so just remember to eat healthy and exercise!
hey hey! chocolate is not bad if you eat DARK CHOCOLATE, and often it's so rich that you can only eat a small piece at a time, rarely can you finish a entire bar (well maybe just me)

benefits are from flavonoids, which act as antioxidants. Antioxidants protect the body from aging caused by free radicals, which can cause damage that leads to heart disease. Dark chocolate contains a large number of antioxidants (nearly 8 times the number found in strawberries). Flavonoids also help relax blood pressure through the production of nitric oxide, and balance certain hormones in the body.

Dark chocolate is good for your heart. A small bar of it everyday can help keep your heart and cardiovascular system running well. Two heart health benefits of dark chocolate are:

* Lower Blood Pressure: Studies have shown that consuming a small bar of dark chocolate everyday can reduce blood pressure in individuals with high blood pressure.
* Lower Cholesterol: Dark chocolate has also been shown to reduce LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) by up to 10 percent.

# it stimulates endorphin production, which gives a feeling of pleasure
# it contains serotonin, which acts as an anti-depressant
# it contains theobromine, caffeine and other substances which are stimulants

Here is some more good news -- some of the fats in chocolate do not impact your cholesterol. The fats in chocolate are 1/3 oleic acid, 1/3 stearic acid and 1/3 palmitic acid:

* Oleic Acid is a healthy monounsaturated fat that is also found in olive oil.
* Stearic Acid is a saturated fat but one which research is shows has a neutral effect on cholesterol.
* Palmitic Acid is also a saturated fat, one which raises cholesterol and heart disease risk.

That means only 1/3 of the fat in dark chocolate is bad for you.

http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelo.../chocolate.htm
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #34
bkyoung

Are you eating healthy? Jack lelanne made a video on how stuffing your face for some people can make them skinnier Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-vjSOtuvDI
bkyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #35
RaptorAdapter

Hey everyone. This is my first post on the cosplay.com forums...and appropriately so! Being underweight is the story of my life and until very recently, I've struggled with putting on lean mass. (Being a girl also has its own set of particular problems.) I started taking fitness & nutrition seriously about four years ago, then went through several phases of being on and off the wagon. After looking at my pics from last year's Dragon*Con in which I looked sickly thin, I decided enough was enough and I got myself on Beachbody's programs. I'm doing P90X right now and love it so much that I became a coach:

http://beachbodycoach.com/everstrong

As a "hardgainer", you can realistically expect an average 3-5 pounds of muscle mass added per month IF 1) you double or triple your body's daily target caloric needs, 2) you lift heavy, and 3) if you take a mass gainer or protein powder daily. There's a few more things to keep in mind, but that's basically it. Eat more calories than your body actually needs to maintain itself.

This is simply what's worked for me and so far I seem to be putting on the pounds, no problem. However, drinking mass gainer can also introduce fat along with lean muscle so you just need to watch what you're eating. I'm 5'2" and 108 lbs. after a month of P90X...I started out at 102 lbs. dry weight. My short-term goal is to reach 110 pounds of sustained lean muscle, but I"m accepting the fact that I'll need to put on some fat ("mass") before I can cut down to my ideal body shape. Here's me before/after just 30 days of honest exercise, eating, and drinking lots of protein:

Yup...never been so proud of having "pudge" around the gut for the first time in my life... It's proof that my body CAN overcome its ridiculously high-metabolism! I'm not too worried about the fat since I know it's only temporary.

Anyone who's underweight and want some motivation or accountability, you may add me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kriscabanas or just send me a message. I enjoy helping where I can. I'm always happy to make friends with fitness junkies and we skinny peeps especially need to stick together!

Train smarter, not harder,

Kris

Last edited by RaptorAdapter : 09-18-2010 at 12:10 AM.
RaptorAdapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #36
Mistes
Crystalstarrlight

I feel relieved I'm not the only one out there who wants to gain, I think i posted a thread here a year back but I'll bet it disappeared or i misplaced it O_o

I tried the mc donalds diet... which seems self explanatory- go to the fast food places a few times a week

my dad sometimes goes to buy 5 boxes of ice cream and i tend to down one box every 2 days... which has milk in it and so I should be gaining...

I've pretty much been 96 lbs for the past 3 years... but ive grown 2 inches so my weight is in the 4% index (out of 100 people my age/height I'm weighing more than 4%), this might be different in foreign countries where fast food isn't as prominent but it's undoubtedly skinny.

I ended up giving up and just staying content with myself

I'll note that these things added in these foods like trans fat are absolutely terrible and hazardous.... just stay healthy and eggs do help
Mistes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #37
kuramasan

Have you tried the weight gain protein bars? They come in palatable flavors even, like cookies and cream or peanut butter cup. Or even protein candy bars.
like the ones muscle builders or people who want to move up a weight class in wrestling use?
If you can't gain weight by eating then I guess you have to get some muscle instead.
What about weight lifting?
Castlepoint Anime Fest
Anime I-Con
Otakon
kuramasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 03:40 AM   #38
drakeprimeone

Here are the things to go after

1. Protein
2. Drastically increase your caloric intake (whatever it is now and atleast double it)
3. Protein
4. weight training, heavier weight with lower reps
5. Did I mention protein?

I know its been made mention that protein shakes like muscle milk are the way to go, while the brand isn't necessarily important the shakes themselves are. On avg one shake can have as much as 40 grams. I personally love muscle milk and syntha 6 for the smooth taste.

I know as an ectomorph you burn calories at a high rate so its important to take in more than you burn.

This is an over simplification of what to do but imo it will give you a good road map on how to make some gains.
drakeprimeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #39
Noble Knight
WhoTheHellDoYouThinkIAm!!

Hi, I saw the thread you posted on weight gain. I'm a personal trainer and mostly I specialize in weight gain (muscle gain). Pretty much all the advice you'll get here is wrong (: (no offense guys) Thats because were mostly cosplayers and NOT bodybuilders. Simply put: You need to learn as much as you can about BodyBuilding. This means lifting weights about 3 or 4 times a week for about 45 minutes and eating every 2 hours every DAY. Every 2 hours you need to be taking in ABOUT 25 grams of protein and 50 grams of carbs for you body weight. The way you say your mom is eating is probably better for you than what I saw most others suggesting, you just need to eat MORE than her and more frequently. Forget about red meat vs. white meat: ALL meat is good in your case.

I have several friends who were skinny and thought they needed to add fat by eating fatty foods. They all deeply regretted it when they got fat and wished for their old skinny bodies back. What I'm saying is: Don't gain weight by eating junk food, trust me, you won't be happy with your body, no one is.

I'll say this again: You need to learn as much as you can about bodybuilding, eating and lifting weights. I'd say join a gym for sure but you may not have the money so you should simply start attending your Campus gym. But eventually you'll wan't to join a gym. Talk to the weight training coach at the gym, and hook up with some big guy who looks like he knows what he's doing. These people will most likely enjoy giving you advice- but be wary, just because someone has big muscles does NOT mean he knows what he's doing.

This is where you need to start: http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/

Watch the videos. Everything this British trainer say is TRUE! You need to do pretty much everything he says.

You NEED to start lifting weights, not just because of your unique situation (your skinny) but because its good for you and will help you live a way better life!

Oh, by the way, the only supplements you need to be taking are: a multivitamin/mineral supplement (like 4 bucks at a grocery store) and a PROTEIN powder. Everything else is VERY optional.

Good luck! And sorry if I sounded Like a jerk I'm just trying not to beat around the bush (:
Noble Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #40
Kasinator
Not quite human

Just be sure not to overdo your protein either, that is a very common mistake people make.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #41
drakeprimeone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasinator View Post
Just be sure not to overdo your protein either, that is a very common mistake people make.
This is true, your body can only process a certain amount at a time so taking in excess would be a wasted. A rule of thumb I've used is 1 gram per pound of body weight daily, so for you 2 protein shakes a day combined with 4 healthy meals spread through out the day is good stuff.
drakeprimeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #42
RaptorAdapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Knight View Post
Pretty much all the advice you'll get here is wrong (: (no offense guys) Thats because were mostly cosplayers and NOT bodybuilders.

Good luck! And sorry if I sounded Like a jerk I'm just trying not to beat around the bush (:
Dude, don't apologize. I think you approached this is in a very mature fashion instead of just dropping your crits on the OP's topic... You took the time to explain where you're coming from instead of just dropping "advice".

That said, I think you had awesome points to share that somebody like me who's starting out with strength training easily overlooks, and that's - being mindful of where a person is starting out in their fitness journey. You hit the nail on the head that most of us are starting out completely inexperienced. I agree 100% with your points and I agree it's a good roadmap for packing on muscle.

To share a personal anecdote, I weight trained on my own at home for a while with just a book and the idea that I need to eat 6-8 smaller healthy meals a day. I used nothing more than protein shakes and multi-vitamins to supplement with. I got decent results from it but now I'm on a different fitness at home program, and I'll be frank, it's working even better for me and I'm happy with my results so far.

That said, one thing I try to stay flexible on are the resources a newbie should use for training advice. There are a lot of links being thrown around and I feel it's worthwhile for the individual to check them all out with a grain of salt and see what works best for them. ("Go with what you know, until something better comes along.") I'm definitely gonna be checking out bodybuilding.com and fine tuning what I know.

Anyway, I wanted to give you kudos for keeping a healthy attitude and being genuinely helpful. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to nutrition & fitness advice, and especially an open mind towards different fitness disciplines and programs. You're not just being a dick and saying, "Do this, DON'T do that." I respect other trainers, new and experienced, who keep their egos in check and keep a balanced attitude. It's refreshing to read.

My $.02 cents,

Kris

Last edited by RaptorAdapter : 09-22-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Unread 09-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #43
RaptorAdapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasinator View Post
Yup, you'll just poop out the rest that your body can't process. Which is fine if you're okay with pooping a lot, I suppose.

I need to do better about this, but protein shakes tend to dehydrate you as well and it's a good idea to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #44
Cheebes
High Wizard

Right! I was going to make a thread, but I guess I'll post here instead! =')

I used to have a steady weight of about 120 - 125lbs, but a medication I went on like 7 months ago made me drop to 105, and I've been sitting on that ever since. I'd like to gain a bit more than that, so I don't feel like I'm going to break. </3

So yes. I'm 21 years old, 5'3, 105lbs, and am trying to get into the habit of figuring out calorie intake.
My eating habits? I eat decent sized meals every few hours, and snack a lot. I don't really have junk food in my house. I don't drink soda or anything. My food usually includes things like wheat pasta, turkey sandwiches, apples with natural peanut butter, those fake-meat boca burger things, grapes, pretzels + peanut butter, eggs, etc. Skim milk, lots of water, half decaf coffee, tea.
I'm not a huge fan of most meat. I like home made burgers and steak, when someone feels like making them. I hate seafood. I friggen love veggies.

Also, I've been exercising. (a bit of muscle gain would be kinda nice..)
Um. If I need to be specific: to start with, since I'm wasn't particularly in shape, I've been doing some yoga, all of the strength training stuff on Wii Fit, and after a bit started attempting some recommended exercises for my body type from Womens Health. Stacked pushups and things. I also go on two mile walks sometimes. Chin ups normally come with those.

But yes. I'd rather not shrink to nothing by accident. </3
Definitely going to read through the thread when I'm a bit more awake.

FloROCos - Bringing Ragnarok back, one con at a time.

Attending:
Megacon
Metrocon
Chibi Pa (possible)

DeviantArt
Tumblr

Last edited by Cheebes : 09-30-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Cheebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #45
adina201

Eat as much as of nutritious foods. Increase your daily intake of calories by 500. Drink plenty of fluids which supply nutrients and calories. Milk, fresh fruit juices and energy drinks are the best for gaining weight.