Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 08-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

Metal Belt... pleasse help!

Alright, so my next cosplay has me stumped almost completely, so I'm slowly figuring it out and this is one of my issues.

Ref: http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/rune/art-char-01.jpg she's got this intricate metal belt and I have no idea even where to begin. How does one make something like this... and how will I get it on and off?

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Gingersweet

Oh hey, I'm in your thread again. xD

My suggestion would be to use the tutorial for fun foam armour (which can be found in the tutorial thread in this forum). That way it has a little it of flexibility, which will be nice for something around your waist like that, and you can (relatively) easily cut out the intricate designs. And then the tutorial gives wonderful directions on how to give the fun foam a real metallic look.

And then for getting it on and off, I think you should pick a place that isn't often seen, like one side, or if the cape does cover the back, there (I phrase it that way because it looks like the cape doesn't). Then you could put in a little seam where the opening would overlap a bit when closed, and sew on snaps on the over lapping places. If that makes sense? I could probably explain it better, but I'm about to go to bed after a long day at work. xD;;
Handmade, professional, and convention safe props custom made for you!
Conventions:
  • EXP Con October 8-10
  • ShadoCon November 5-7
Cosplays:
  • General Beatrix Final Fantasy IX :: 20% Complete
Gingersweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersweet View Post
Oh hey, I'm in your thread again. xD

My suggestion would be to use the tutorial for fun foam armour (which can be found in the tutorial thread in this forum). That way it has a little it of flexibility, which will be nice for something around your waist like that, and you can (relatively) easily cut out the intricate designs. And then the tutorial gives wonderful directions on how to give the fun foam a real metallic look.

And then for getting it on and off, I think you should pick a place that isn't often seen, like one side, or if the cape does cover the back, there (I phrase it that way because it looks like the cape doesn't). Then you could put in a little seam where the opening would overlap a bit when closed, and sew on snaps on the over lapping places. If that makes sense? I could probably explain it better, but I'm about to go to bed after a long day at work. xD;;
I remember you! XD (and yes, I'm just all over the place. These cosplays of mine SEEMED simple! XD)

I completely forgot about that tutorial. I used it for my last cosplay and now I realize why my dad always yells at me for staying up to late. XD I'm so intelligent sometimes.

And the back would be covered. Not by the cape, but by the hair which has a big glowing stone hanging from it. ^^ And even if it doesn't hide it the big glowing stone will be distracting enough anyway (my geek is making the stone, which will glow, so I'm not even going to try asking how I could do it myself.)

Completed:

In Progress:
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Gingersweet

Boss.
I'm actually using that tutorial to make my armour for my next cosplay. I just... haven't. xD Trying new things is very intimidating!
Handmade, professional, and convention safe props custom made for you!
Conventions:
  • EXP Con October 8-10
  • ShadoCon November 5-7
Cosplays:
  • General Beatrix Final Fantasy IX :: 20% Complete
Gingersweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

It is, especially when it costs money. My parents are always asking me, "Are you sure, are you sure? Wouldn't you rather do this?" And I'm like, crying in my head thinking, "Shut up! Stop asking the gemini to change here mind because she will!" It's like they don't trust me or something XD and then when I ask them for help they go, "I'm not creative." And my only reaction is to ask, "Then why don't you trust me!? I am!"

Completed:

In Progress: