Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Blizzard

Unread 09-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
howdoimakethis

How do I know what to use for a certain item?

Hello

I was wondering how you would figure out which materials would be the best to create a certain item.

So for example, I wish to create this sword, the Facelifter, the tank sword from World of Warcraft :

http://db.mmo-champion.com/static/im...shots/1257.jpg

So I was thinking, what should I start with??

1.Cardboard base? Like cut the shape of the sword out of regular box cardboard.
2.Get the pink insulation foam from Home Depot or something, cut it to the sword shape roughly for a base, and then use expanding foam, which I never used in my life before, and then use the expanding foam to actually shape itself into a sword by carving it, etc. But even before that, I don't know what to use to cut the big hunk of the pink insulation form to a sword shape that is close to the Facelifter sword.
3.Pepakura method?

Maybe there are more methods than just these three which I can think of, so please if you have any ideas, please post them, thank you, and the other point was, how would I know which materials used will result in the best and nearest to perfect result for the certain item I'm creating, which in this case is the Facelifter tank sword?

Best Regards and thank you once more
howdoimakethis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Etrina
Banshee Queen

You may find this tutorial helpful:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=129313

Upcoming Events:
Blizzcon 2010

Upcoming Cosplays
Codex of The Guild - 40% || Lady Sylvanas Windrunner - 8% (patterning) || Vanille FFXIII

Dreamscape my blog
Follow me on Twitter!
Etrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
essex1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoimakethis View Post
Hello

1.Cardboard base? Like cut the shape of the sword out of regular box cardboard.
2.Get the pink insulation foam from Home Depot or something, cut it to the sword shape roughly for a base, and then use expanding foam, which I never used in my life before, and then use the expanding foam to actually shape itself into a sword by carving it, etc. But even before that, I don't know what to use to cut the big hunk of the pink insulation form to a sword shape that is close to the Facelifter sword.
3.Pepakura method?

Best Regards and thank you once more
There seems to be a lot of confusion with regards to what pink foam can be used for. This stuff is more then strong enough to form a sword out of. There is no need for the expanding foam.

pink foam and expanding foam are going to do the same thing. Give you something to carve. They are not really very good when used together, due to very different textures and poor bonding.

Both are good for shaping and carving but I find the Pink foam to be much easier to sand when getting down to detail work.

The sword is question could be formed from nothing more then 2 2" pieces of foam sandwiched together over a support / handle, say a 24-36" wooden dowel. Carve to desired shape then finish with either paper mache to give very smooth sand-able and paint able finish or Gesso the foam and paint it as such for a bit rougher "forged steel" look.

I wish i could post photos of Pockets sword which is made from this exact method but she has chosen not to show any thing till the convention.
Arms, Armor, and Awesome!
essex1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
howdoimakethis

Thank you Etrina, that was a helpful tutorial and thank you also essex1984 for the information
howdoimakethis is offline   Reply With Quote