Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 09-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
mangakaluna

Review: Ferrin

Edit: 9/3/2010 Added timestamp info under each photo link as well as correspondence from receiving the item

I recently commissioned an Edward Elric jacket from a user named Ferrin.
Their advertisement seemed to check out here. It promised "superb quality and accuracy" from 10+ years of experience and that they would work closely with the commissioner to ensure accuracy.

They said they would send photos before shipment so I could see the quality, etc.

They never sent them.

I suppose this is why.

I paid $80 for this jacket.

There is lining missing inside the sleeve.
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:28:28

The lining is very loose and saggy.
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:33:49

The bottom is uneven in the back
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:33:19

The sleeves were the wrong style (there was a seam on top and bottom), and messily sewn under the arm.
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:32:36

The fabric was stained (However they are small and on the inside lining)
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:31:45

The emblem was tacked on, but starting to lift and curl
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:36:30

Every now and again I found random half-seams like this
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:35:44

Here's some more saggy lining
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:31:39

The hood's lining appears to be inside-out, and the hood is much too small
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:37:04

I contacted the seller in a professional manner, detailing these issues, and I requested a refund.

They refused and claimed that I sabotaged the item.

Added Edit 9/3/2010: Correspondence
PM I received letting me know it had been sent, more or less

My initial response after receiving the item When it arrived I only had enough time to try it on quickly. I took it off and hung it in the garage to get rid of the smell. I am a non-smoker, and this was strong enough that I couldn't keep it in the house.

Their response saying why they did not contact me about the hood, and regarding the smell

I sent this after the smell dissipated. I reviewed the coat and took the photos. I uploaded the photos to photobucket a little while later.

Their response to my complaints (part 1)
Their response to my complaints (part 2)

Buyer, Beware!

Last edited by mangakaluna : 09-04-2010 at 12:47 AM.
mangakaluna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

How disappointing. I was going to commission from them, but wanted to wait until they had more photos of commissions up.

Thanks for the review.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
mangakaluna

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
How disappointing. I was going to commission from them, but wanted to wait until they had more photos of commissions up.

Thanks for the review.
No problem, I'm glad you found this before ordering.
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
ferrin

i would like to say as the commissioner that i am fairly certain the buyer accidentally stained the item and then sabatoged it in attempts to get their money back.

we promise progress photos to those who request them, but they were not request for this item.

the buyer filed a paypal claim and was denied by paypal on the grounds that we provided proof the item was NOT in such a condition upon shipping.

we have never received a negative review from any buyer and can provide plenty of positive feedback, on ebay as well as other places.
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
Nohirexi
The Demented Fate

I've seen Ferrin's works firsthand, and he would never make something of such quality. He puts time, hard work, dedication and 500% effort into his commissions. I know for a fact that he wouldn't let something like that be shipped out to a buying customer.

SakuraCon 2011
Yukina, Yuyu Hakusho
Mai, Avatar: The Last Airbender
Nohirexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #6
CaptainMoochan

Horseshit galore.

I have ALSO seen his work firsthand. He sends me progression photos of his work firsthand. He also wears his own work and is damn near a perfectionist and would in no instance EVER allow his products to look that way.

You're just angry because you spilled crap on your new outfit, made OBVIOUS tears in it, and decided to try and fuck him over by trying to file a claim on paypal. If they were real, then your claim would not have been rejected.

I joined this stupid website for the sole purpose of justifying his work. He is, in no way, a liar. His work is 100% top notch.

So stop lying.
CaptainMoochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrin View Post
i would like to say as the commissioner that i am fairly certain the buyer accidentally stained the item and then sabatoged it in attempts to get their money back.

we promise progress photos to those who request them, but they were not request for this item.

the buyer filed a paypal claim and was denied by paypal on the grounds that we provided proof the item was NOT in such a condition upon shipping.

we have never received a negative review from any buyer and can provide plenty of positive feedback, on ebay as well as other places.
Hello! ^_^

So glad to hear that this is not true! I would suggest posting a screen shot that PayPal denied the claim, that way, future customers can see proof that this item was in perfect condition when shipped. It is just a suggestion, as it will show that this item was of quality and will help others see that this is defaming your name.
Unread 09-02-2010, 04:19 AM   #8
kiratsukai
culture shocked

I can't for the life of me understand how some of the problems presented in the photographs (sloppy lining, the odd hem, the tacked on emblem, etc) could have been engineered by someone who wasn't skilled enough to make their own jacket in the first place or why someone would commission an item only to destroy it in order to wreak havoc on the reputation of a total stranger without the guarantee of money back or any personal gain whatsoever.

There are two sides to every story, but I'm reluctant to trust either at face value.

As we say on the intarwebs: pictures or it didn't happen.

(As for paypal being an authority on commission quality: paypal generally only returns money in the event of non-delivery. The quality of the items delivered rarely concerns them. If the contracted item was sent and the person who shipped it can prove that it was posted, you're shit out of luck.)

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 09-02-2010 at 04:44 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
mangakaluna

I would also like to see pictures of the items condition before it was shipped. I was never sent photos before the delivery.

I was not told I could "request" them, it was flat-out stated.
Evidenced here
Since I am obviously not trusted, I left the url which contains the pm ID, so you may contact an admin on the site and double check that this was not tampered with.

Last edited by mangakaluna : 09-02-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
mangakaluna

Quote:
The claim was not denied due to the items condition. It was denied because it was indeed shipped, and they can only deal with shipment problems.

Direct quote from the email I recieved:
"Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User
Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It
does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods
received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund. "

I am posting this as a cautionary tale. I paid $80 for quality goods, and I received less than that. I expect a licensed business to be more professional. If requested, I can provide anyone with facts and evidence of what occurred in my situation.
Anyone out there ordering cosplay outfits should check the return policy, if there is a satisfaction guarantee, a list of the supplies and the cost from the commissioner, send accurate measurements, insistence on approval for any changes or deviations, and photographic updates of the item.

Last edited by mangakaluna : 09-02-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Acacia

Quote:
I can say for a fact, knowing mangakaluna for several years now, that she would never do such a thing. I know she was really looking forward to receiving the jacket for her cosplay, it is beyond me why she would purposely trash it just to get a refund. Putting aside the fact that I know her, I can't think of anyone who would do that unless they had a personal vendetta against the person whom they were commissioning.

Quote:
So you took the liberty of doing a shoddy job because she didn't request progress shots? That's what it sounds like to me. You should always provide progress photos, or at least, take some for yourself. That way you'd be able to save your ass by saying, "see, the receipient DID sabotoge it!"

I'd also like to see photos of what it looked like before you shipped it. Or were you too embarrassed to take any because it looked so ratty?
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Wow, this is all very confusing. I can't imagine why anyone would send out a product like that...nor can I imagine anyone sabotaging an item they paid for. This is indeed a very tricky situation. :/
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
Sethora

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
Wow, this is all very confusing. I can't imagine why anyone would send out a product like that...nor can I imagine anyone sabotaging an item they paid for. This is indeed a very tricky situation. :/
I think the one lying is the one that was comissioned - the OP posted pictures upon pictures of the tarnished goods, quoted WHY paypal wouldn't provide the refund, and what has the comissioner done? One post in lousy self defense.

To the OP - Thanks for the warning - I will not be ordering from Ferrin any time in the future.

To Acacia - he took some, if he sent them to paypal....
Other Costumes:
Harry Potter & The Deathly Hollows Pt. 2 - Luna Lovegood
Next Years Possibilities:
Kingdom Hearts - Marluxia
Hellsing - Pip Bernadette
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - Fai D. Flowrite
Sethora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
Acacia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethora View Post
To Acacia - he took some, if he sent them to paypal....
He never showed anything to Paypal because they don't deal with the quality of goods, only if an item has shipped or not. See mangakaluna's previous post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakaluna View Post
The claim was not denied due to the items condition. It was denied because it was indeed shipped, and they can only deal with shipment problems.

Direct quote from the email I recieved:
"Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User
Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It
does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods
received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund. "
Unread 09-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Only way to settle this is if the commissioned has progress pictures. Since the two responses in his defense were both from users of the site with a very low postcount (one having only posted once: to defend them).

So the only way we can see who is right is for some progress pictures. Until then, i vote in favor of the commissioner.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote