Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Sea

Being overweight, a blessing in disguise?

Yes, you read the title right. Now, before someone gets the urge to murder me in my sleep (I know I would've wanted to do that to anyone who told me being overweight was a kind of blessing for me a few years back) read the whole thing. Then you can imagine as many gruesome scenarios for me to be in as you wish Anyways, first of all, I didn't see any threads like this in the forum, but if there is one please feel free to delete.

So here's the deal. I believe it's safe to say that all of us who have to struggle with our weight have had a "OMG, why do I have to be fat? Why couldn't I be born naturally thin? Why, why, why, whyyyyy? T_T" moment, at least I know I have. But there came a point in my life when I realized I just had to man up(woman up?) and face the facts, my tendency to put on wight was going to follow me the rest of my life. I can control my weight by dieting and exercising, but the problem is still going to be there, and if I stop at any time I'm going to lose the weight I'm working so hard to get rid of. So I just accepted it as a part of me, which helped me deal with the issue in a much more healthy way, at least that's what I think. I didn't spend time pitying myself or feeling like I was the unluckiest person out there, kids die from various deceases everyday, so I should actually be thankful I am otherwise healthy.

The other day I was thinking (it's amazing where your mind can go when you're trying to avoid linguistics xDU), that in fact I might even consider myself lucky that I have this "problem". Lately I have been getting serious about being fit, and even though I haven't quite reached my goal, I realize that I'm now in a better shape than most of my friends who eat anything they want and still remain thin. Because they don't get weight they don't exercise, and even though they look great they are in really bad shape. I notice it whenever we go walking or have to go up some stairs. This in turn got me thinking, that in order to maintain the weight we are looking for, we will probably eat healthy and work out for the rest of our lives. This carries great benefits for the body, those of us who keep it up will probably be in the future one of the rare few middle aged people who have no cholesterol, high blood pressure and other related problems.

So I guess what I'm trying to do here is show the way I deal with being overweight. Seeing it in a more positive light helps me to deal with this and not want to jump from the top of a building or something. What do you think guys? Do any of you think the same way or am I just talking nonsense? How do you guys deal with your weight issues?

PD: I was kind of hesitant to make this thread since it's not strictly related to getting fit or anything like that (unless you count the psychological factor, I guess?), so if this is in the wrong section or something feel free to move/delete this
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
distantarray

People generally frown to being overweight cause they believe for health issues, complications, or for visual preferences, but in the end many people also don't realize that you can be fat and very healthy as well. Some people just have hard time losing weight, but that doesn't mean their cardiovasular health isn't in peak condition.

Also there are problems that can occur with working out too much, and dieting too strictly, one thing I can point out is bodybuilders as a great example. Large amount of muscle, and very little to no fat especially around competition time. Since their bodies go so low in fat, sometimes they can drop their body fat so low (under 3-4% usually) that their bodies will have a harder time in keeping their internal organs warm.

Also in the past cars used to be made out of steel, and you could run into a tree driving 45mph and barely come out with a dent in the car, but why is this not practiced still? because the shock of the accident translated straight into the bodies of the people inside. With softer alumnimum cars the car will take blunt of the damage.

How is this relevant? Cause bodybuilders have so much hard muscle, it's not natural for a person to have a great deal of muscle and little to no fat, so without the extra amounts of fat, the bodies will absorb much more of the shock as well, many many great bodybuilders had to quit the industry cause of car accidents, and ones that normally would'nt have hurt regular people who don't even workout.

Am I saying bodybuilding is bad? Nope, just that taking everything into extremes can have pros and cons, everything is good in moderation, if you want to push something over that just do a little research as you go =)
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
BooBooKitty

I read a study recently about how it's possible to have all the appearences of being skinny and still be clinically obese. They might look skinny, but it's because they have very low muscle mass and a high body fat ratio. Their at risk for heart disease and diabetes as well; it was conducted by the Mayo Clinic, here's a link to a synopsis about it:

http://drweigh.com/blog/2009/03/26/skinny-obese/

Thats why I try to keep off the scale when dieting/working out; I don't consider my weight the major determining factor in weight loss (if that makes sense at all ). It's more about body fat percentage and inches lost. It also prevents me from getting discouraged since building muscle makes you feel like you're actually *gaining* weight.

And what you said is true as well; scientists think the opposite is true as well, you can be overweight and still medically healthier than someone smaller than you if you take care of yourself. I guess it is sort of a blessing in a way, that's a good way of looking at it.
BooBooKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
Chirudesu
Flash Goddess Chiru

I do agree, I like to kick people off their high horse about that whole 'I'm thin therefore healthier than you' thing...pffft. Not always true.

It does help to realize your position in your health and life so you can tackle it more effectively and not hide behind excuses or lack of understanding. I for one have a bad (disorder, for lack of words) so it makes diet difficult. Not exercise, that I can do...but yeah, I know what you mean. Good mindset!

私の世界 夢と恋と不安で出来てる。。。
Chirudesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

I never really thought of it like this, but you're kind of right. It is a sort of blessing because we have to get into this habit of eating well and exercising, so when we're at our goal we'll still have those habits and still keep going, but for people who are naturally thinner, they might never have gotten into these habits and it could make life more difficult later on.

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 03:24 AM   #6
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

Interesting way to look at it. Probably won't help my individual self esteem-issues related to weight (XP), but I'm glad it helped you.

Though the thought had crossed my mind before. That people who are naturally heavier, in order to fit society's "ideal" will eat healthier and exercise, forming lifelong habits in the process. I didn't think of it in a physical health way so much as an aesthetic way, however. It was just something I noticed about people I know who had noticeably put on weight or lost weight since highschool. The ones who put on weight had all been naturally skinny, whereas the ones who lost it were formerly overweight. Since your metabolism slows as you age I considered the possibility that the people who were heavy when young could maintain a slimmer physical appearance than the ones who were thin because of better habits.
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
.rachel.

I never really thought about it like that before.
And like DevTehFiend mentioned, for people who are naturally thinner and aren't really bothering with exercising or trying to eat right in the present, once their metabolism begins to slow down they're going to have a tough time adjusting.
.rachel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #8
HigurashiSayuri
Kawaii kune daiyo!

I guess I never really thought of it that way, but you make a great point. I've always been overweight from a technical standpoint, even though I've transitioned from being an elite multi-sport athlete in high school to working a desk job. I was gobsmacked when I realized that I was toeing the line between overweight and <gulp> obese about 18 months ago. Now I'm eating right and in the gym at least 4 days a week. I'm still overweight (though just barely so), but I know that because I never want to feel that way again, I'm doing right by myself and I wouldn't hesitate to say that I am healthier than I've been in years.

Thanks for making me smile and giving me the motivation to put in a kick-butt work out this afternoon!
HigurashiSayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
han-pan

Congratulations on your motivation and all

And I totally agree o.O I'm 5'5" and nearly 25lbs underweight, because of natural (and unnatural) causes. But I tend to not work out because the only thing I ever get is people telling me to eat a #@&*ing sandwich.

I took my bike to school this year and yesterday did a 3 minute ride which was partially/mostly uphill. Oh god my thighs hurt so much!! D: It was terrible. I'm in the worst shape of my life and I am so embarrassed! Definitely can't wait to work on my biking and improve my health.

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
Sea

Sorry for leaving this thread hanging, exams are coming up so I have little free time these days. Anyways, I'm glad you guys see what I mean (I got a few weird looks when I mentioned this to a couple of friends xDU). That's an interesting article, BooBooKitty, I didn't know what I was saying had any scientific support, I was just talking from common sense. Good to know I wasn't saying anything outrageous from a medical point of view :P

It may be a bit silly, but thinking this way does help me in a way to feel better with my body. Even ignoring the fact that I've improved my weight and fitness level a lot, thinking that being overweight helps me form healthy habits does help me see my body in a slightly better light. han-pan, I don't really know much about being underweight, so don't take my word very seriously, but I think exercising might help with that. At least weight lifting might, I know that I had to be careful whenever I took up lifting or my weight would just shoot up, so that might help? xP
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote