Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
KiraCosplayHai
Guardian Corps.

Post sushi?

ok, so i recently just tasted sushi for the first time,(yay not a sushi virgin! XD) and i liked it, and want to start eating it more often. so just want to ask, what are the good benifits of sushi?, does it help you lose weight? and what diffrent types are there? i was told that if you feel sick after eating sushi with raw fish, you should stop eating it. i felt good after eating it soo, any help?
Paddra Nsu Yeul FFXIII-2

Time flows without pause. In a world where I no longer exist, the future, is about to change. Serah, the truth still survives, but only you, renember it.
Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
KiraCosplayHai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
inae

Uh...

Losing weight is basically this: calories in < calories out. Gorging on sushi won't make you lose weight, especially since it's mainly rice. It would probably be more healthy if you ate brown rice sushi, but I've never heard of anyone losing weight from eating sushi.
inae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
jounink
Holla!

Sushi is generally very healthy, however keep in mind that special rolls (california type rolls) contain Mayonase. Mayo is high in cholesterol and fat.
http://sushinow.com/whatissushi.htm

Fish, especially salmon and Tuna is High in Omega 3, an essential fatty acid that the human body can't make. Omega 3 is great for your skin and heart among other things.
Roe (fish eggs) is high in protien and other vitamins, but some contain lots of sodium.
Seaweed , has a sh*t load of vitamins and minerals. It's also a well known beauty secret. (i.e. seaweed wraps)

If you feel sick after eating sushi:
-It may not be fresh (sushi fish should not smell really fishy. That bad fishy smell comes from protiens breaking in the tissue.)
-You may have a food allergey (i.e. shell fish)
-It may not be prepared right (usually rolls containing mayo)
-Cross contamination (very common during food prep at ANY type or restraunt)

Remeber, ANYTHING (regardless how healthy it is) in excess will make a person gain weight.

Last edited by jounink : 09-05-2010 at 01:54 PM.
jounink is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Kasinator
Not quite human

it's basically the same as a taco inside out. its healthy as long as you keep it simple with little fixings. go for it girl!!

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
bodatheyoda
Thats right, love me

Who cares if it's healthy! It's friggin SUSHI!

My photography page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tk8919Photography
My DA: http://bodatheyoda.deviantart.com/

http://www.501st.com
bodatheyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

Sushi is better for you than a lot of foods out there, yes, but as said before "anything in excess is bad".

Also, if you want to avoid rice (which in the amounts given it isn't like you're gorging yourself on rice by eating a sushi dinner, so the first poster confuses me), eat sashimi. It's the fish without the rice. I actually like this better, personally. Even though I could easily eat nothing but white rice cause I love it, usually for sushi they put somehting else in it to make it stick better. And I like being able to taste more fish than rice. But ordering sashimi instead does eliminate any carbs that come with the rice.

Also, for special rolls, ask for it without mayo. I just hate the taste of mayo, so whenever I order a roll I specifically ask for it without. This is a good way to cut most of the fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodatheyoda View Post
Who cares if it's healthy! It's friggin SUSHI!
YES I agree!
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
distantarray

you can always mess up good sushi, also rolls are different everywhere, california rolls in most restaurants I've been to has never had mayo, always imitation crab meat with avocado and sometimes cucumber as well. So you really can't single out a name of a roll cause every restaurant varies quite a bit, but california's usually pretty basic.

Sushi especially salmon contains a lot of omega 3 and 6 which are healthy fats that lowers cholesterol. Also rich in DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)

"DHA is the primary structural component of brain tissue, so it stands to reason that a deficiency of DHA in the diet could translate into a deficiency in brain function. In fact, research is increasingly recognizing the possibility that DHA has a crucial influence on neurotransmitters in the brain, helping brain cells better communicate with each other. Asian cultures have long appreciated the brain-building effects of DHA. In Japan, DHA is considered such an important "health food" that it is used as a nutritional supplement to enrich some foods, and students frequently take DHA pills before examinations. " -http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t040900.asp

Also omega 3 and 6 are great for healthy fats but as we age the amount our bodies can utilize becomes less and less, but with DHA the effectiveness never wears off.

Also Fish is rich in proteins which are better absorbed than even chicken or beef. I'll look for the link when I get a chance.

Also just cause it's sushi doesn't mean it's good, personally I choose to avoid carbon monoxide treated fish, Salmon is usually always safe cause it has a super long shelf life if frozen to eat raw, but fish like Tuna and Yellowtail most every restaurant will use it in American markets. It's a banned practice in most countries like Canada, Europe, Korean, Japan etc.

Carbon monoxide fish is meat that's stuck into a gas chamber and filled with carbon monoxide gas (which is the toxic gas that causes cancer in cigarettes and exhaust fumes) then it's made so you can retains the color of the fish to appear fresher. Since people would pass on brown tuna thinking it's old, people often unaware enough to realize they're eating really old tuna.....RAW "Carbon Tuna can be put into trunk of a car for over a year and it'll still stay red" Although carbon monoxide treated meats are a common practice in the American market even with many meats, I have to really push my distaste onto sushi mainly cause it's eaten raw. When cooked I can believe that most of the gas will be excreted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/06/dining/06TUNA.html

The pinkish watermelon colored meat in that cooler is carbon tuna. It's pretty easy to spot, your fish should be dark deep red, not a watermelon kinda hue, the older carbon tuna gets the pinker it gets as well, so if the color is more pastel I'd pass on it.

Also best way to control your diet in a sushi restaurant with cost effective is ordering a Chirashi box, it's a combination of raw fish served over white rice. It's a good portion, and allows you easily to control how much rice you eat for carb control, and very cost effective cause they usually use left over pieces from other orders. Which could probably sound weird to some Americans, but it's like eating the left over cookie tough after you cut the circles :P

Personally people will love me or hate me for pointing carbon tuna out and many could say it doesn't make a difference, but living my entire life in a restaurant family (sushi) I can notice a huge difference in fresh Tuna and Carbon tuna, also you'll notice that most restaurants who serve carbon tuna will often cover up most of their rolls with Eel Sauce, Spicy Mayo or with some other kind of sauce cause they don't want you to taste their fish, or just a lack of skill in being able to mix and match good ingredients together.

You'd be surprised how many chefs aren't even aware of what Carbon Tuna really is, people could argue they need evidence that it's bad for you, or it might not even matter, but personally I don't want my food sprayed with poison especially while trying to eat it raw.

If I go to a restaurant and I get a order of sushi with carbon tuna, I'll tell the waiter to return it, and cancel the order, cause I'll just explain sushi is meant to be fresh fish, I won't take chances on mystery meat.

Also if anyone ever had bad experiences with carbon tuna will know, a market we cater to was cutting into a piece of carbon tuna, and the inside of it was literally black..... after that they stopped serving carbon tuna, I'm sure if that was ingested it would've killed someone.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.

Last edited by distantarray : 09-05-2010 at 05:30 PM.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote