Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 02-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
sausagebearman
Archvillain

Construction Conflict

Hi everyone.

So coming up this year is New York Comic-Con. Comic-Con is my only real con that I can attend and it's my only time to cosplay. For this year I plan on doing my first cosplay. What I'm planning is a cross play of Mikasa from Attack on Titan.

Now to get more to the point, I'm looking to get slimmer. I'm not fat, I just have that skinny fat thing going on and my arms and torso are rather bulky. I'd like to take my time now until October to start getting into better shape! Simple? No.

I work in construction. Not just construction, I work in Refrigeration. This means I work generally 12-14 hours per day, usually out of town in a hotel. So when I get a weekend my first thought isn't "Oh boy! Work out." The days are long and draining and I rarely feel motivated to do much when I'm done.

The other horrible factor is that... When I go on break I don't normally have the greatest choices for food. Dunkin' Donuts and Subway are the most frequen. I really have no idea how to try and regulate myself into a better diet. I don't have much choice over where I go for food.

... So I guess what I'm asking for is a considerable amount of help trying to figure out how to fix up my diet and also how to get some nice little workouts in. I have literally no idea where to start with any of this. All of my research sort of is intended for people who live normal lives and don't spend 80% of their week working and sleeping so they can start working again.
sausagebearman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

If you work in construction, fitness probably isn't much of a problem for you (my own mom is a contractor/handywoman, and she is RIPPED at 48 years old, five foot nothing, with all the hauling and carrying and heavy tools), so I would definitely focus on trying to cut out junk from your diet. Carry some snacks with you for breaktime from home; fruit, healthy sandwiches, nuts, granola bars, your own healthy drinks, etc., none of what I listed take much if any time to put together but are definitely better than doughnuts. I also pack lunches, if possible, the night before, usually while already in the kitchen making dinner, so I'm not rushing in the morning to make it up and can just grab it and go. Same with lunches, if you have access to a microwave you can cook up a large meal at home on an off-day (and many things aren't hard or time-consuming at all; slow-cooked crock pot dishes, chili, stew, etc.) that will give you several days of lunches or dinners as leftovers that are better than going out for fast food (and saves you money!).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
Antifreeze

Well if construction is your job, working out is just an extra something, most construction workers workout all day long. Your diet is what is going to get you. The best way to counteract the whole diet situation is to bring your food to work. Make something healthy at home and bring it to work for lunch and/or dinner. That is the way I got around my job's crappy food.
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Bovice

Also signing off on the bring your own food to work idea.
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
Osric

I used to travel a lot for work so I know what you mean. You might want to try doing protein drinks on your breaks instead of the junk food. I say this for two reasons: 1) shakes are really pretty filling, so you won't go hungry, and they're full of good stuff; 2) you won't get teased by your coworkers if you're drinking protein shakes.

You should check out some of the powders that are "meal replacements". All you need to do is bring to work are a little tupperware container with the powder and a shaker bottle. Then just fill it with water, pour in the powder, shake, and drink. Couldn't be easier.

If you have a local GNC or Vitamin Shop store, the guys there can usually help you find something that will work for you.

If you find a shake isn't filling enough, try eating a banana too.
Osric is offline   Reply With Quote