Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender

Unread 09-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
joanamysts

Katara's tan?

So I'm thinking of doing Katara's Fire Nation outfit for a cosplay, and I'd really like to have the tan/dark skin to go along with it. The problem is, I myself don't naturally tan so I can't just sit out in the sun for a few days before the con. Anyone have suggestions? I thought spray-on or rub-on would work, but I don't know which ones actually make you look tanned and which ones just turn you neon-orange.
joanamysts is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
juusanbantaigrr

How pale are you? A bronzer might work if you just need a leetle bit of tan.

"I'm a goddamn marvel of modern cosplay!"
juusanbantaigrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
joanamysts

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/100_2543.jpg That's about my natural skin tone.
joanamysts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
harmonyisarine

You're probably not going to love me very much for this, but I'd say alter your skin tone very little if at all.

I have naturally more olive skin and tan easily, so I have no idea how the different products work. However, I've seen lots of very pale people try to make different things work. In the end, most of the spray/rub on stuff looks fake when applied for more than a tint, and tanning in a bed is just horrible for your body. I'm probably cosplaying Riza Hawkeye next year, and it bothers me that my skin will be too dark, and that, in turn, forces me to use a non-accurate blonde wig. But in the end, the cosplay will look better for embracing my skin tone rather than trying to alter it.

If you still want to try to hit her very dark skin tone, you may have more success in the make-up forums or just testing random products (though this could get expensive). My favorite advice: Slap on some sunscreen and play in the sun! ^_^ The change will be less and take a lot longer, but it will look a lot nicer.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote