Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 09-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Sariannah

Opinions on 'casualizing' cosplays?

well, i don't really know what to call it, but what do you guys think about taking a character, and cosplaying as them in a different enviornment? (e.g, School Uniforms, formal clothing, casual outfits, ect...) i was thinking about doing this, but i need to consider the reactions of others, and the issue of recognization. opinions?

reno; FFVII
Sasuke Uchiha; Naruto
Kaito (hopefully!); vocaloid
Sariannah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
spazzerbot

I think the biggest problem is a lot of times I don't recognize who the cosplayer is trying to be. A school costume is pretty generic, just because you have a Sora wig on doesn't mean I will know you are Sora!

I think it can work really well if the cosplayer takes the time to really make sure they are easily recognizable by adding elements into the costume that make you think of the characters original costume.
I don't really see the point to it thought. If you are already putting time and money into a cosplay of a character why not just go with an established design?
spazzerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Cogetas
Ulquihime MUST DIE

I do this only when I don't want to be in full costume, like when I'm eating, when I'm taking the train to and from the convention, or just hanging out with friends. I don't expect anyone to recognize me or take my picture. I'm just relaxing.

For those who want to make an actual Casual cosplay, I'd suggest finding some prop or accessory that make your version recognizable.

If you want to do it, go for it At least YOU know which character you're portraying, right? Who cares if someone else doesn't 'get' it or doesn't like it?
Cogetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Sariannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzerbot View Post
I think the biggest problem is a lot of times I don't recognize who the cosplayer is trying to be. A school costume is pretty generic, just because you have a Sora wig on doesn't mean I will know you are Sora!

I think it can work really well if the cosplayer takes the time to really make sure they are easily recognizable by adding elements into the costume that make you think of the characters original costume.
I don't really see the point to it thought. If you are already putting time and money into a cosplay of a character why not just go with an established design?
the point would be to make an over-used cosplay more original, or just to have a bit of fun, unleash creativity and what-not. i'm a bit worried, on the other hand, that people will assume that i'm being lazy, by buying a wig and throwing on some clothes. y'know?

reno; FFVII
Sasuke Uchiha; Naruto
Kaito (hopefully!); vocaloid
Sariannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sariannah View Post
the point would be to make an over-used cosplay more original, or just to have a bit of fun, unleash creativity and what-not. i'm a bit worried, on the other hand, that people will assume that i'm being lazy, by buying a wig and throwing on some clothes. y'know?
That WILL be what they'll assume. You'll need to put a lot of effort into a casual cosplay to make it look good. And make sure you have enough elements of the original character to make it look good.

For example: Imagine, say, a character who wears a cape in the show. You know his uniform coat would end up being longer for that cape feel. Or another character who wears little clothing, you could make the uniform baggier, or with a shirt open. It needs to still reflect the character and be well made.

Otherwise, everyone will think you're being lazy, or that its a closet cosplay.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
spazzerbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
That WILL be what they'll assume. You'll need to put a lot of effort into a casual cosplay to make it look good. And make sure you have enough elements of the original character to make it look good.

For example: Imagine, say, a character who wears a cape in the show. You know his uniform coat would end up being longer for that cape feel. Or another character who wears little clothing, you could make the uniform baggier, or with a shirt open. It needs to still reflect the character and be well made.

Agreed.

You want to look like you really thought about what you were doing and put a lot of effort into it!
spazzerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

You really do have to put a lot of thought into it. Like, I have been thinking about casual versions of a lot of characters, and how some are easier than others because I came across a website that had design students' projects that involved making everyday clothes inspired by Disney movies.

One that I'd like to try would be Princess Zelda, and something to really think about with characters like her is, she's a princess. Anything you put her in would have to look expensive and well made because her clothes in the game do look expensive and beautiful. That's not to say you can't put her in a hoodie, should you want to do something like that, but you would want to make it a hoodie that fits really well, is well made, and looks beautiful.

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post

Adding examples to clarify, since Gurren Lagann is so derp like that.

Original Kamina: http://illustratorhowto.com/images/kamina.jpg
High School Kamina: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/tengen...01/c001/6.html

Yay Gurren Lagann having alternate plotlines, including a high school arc. But yeah, as you can see, his uniform reflects his character. He went from having a cape to having his school coat be super long, and unbuttoned. And his trademark belt added to his school pants.

Original Yoko: http://makieism.dasaku.net/wp-conten...08/01/yoko.jpg
High School Yoko: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/tengen...01/c001/8.html

Like here too, she kept parts of her normal outfit that were pretty normal, then added the school uniform on top. And plus points for her boobs still somehow looking gigantic with a baggy shirt on (How the hell did she manage that?)

So i think these make good examples of adapting a character into an original outfit. Granted, these were really official manga turning them into school kids... but the creators did put thought into it. Its almost as if they translated the original outfits into what it'd look like in our world. And i think casual cosplayers should do that too. Make the casual version somewhat of a translation from anime to the real world. If that makes any sense. Then those who see you will recognize the character, AND it'll be normal enough looking that you can wear it around.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

i was actually working on a blog column called "what would xx wear?" basically it was just a modern day adaptation of what my chosen character would wear when not at work/school/etc, and i only did it with characters that you rarely see out of uniform. people who knew what i was going for liked it, but to non-cosplayers it was just an excuse for me to crossdress since i mainly cosplay male characters ><

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

I think that if you put effort into creating a "casual outfit" for ____ character it could turn out good or even awesome. Make sure you take with some of the characters "trademark traits" so the overall creation wouldn't just be like "random lazy wannabe-____ (??) in closet clothes". ^^

I myself think it would be cool to "cazualize" some characters... hmmm... *starts thinking up possibilities*

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN-SWE-FIN DesuCruise (21-23th August 2014)
THU ???
FRI Sōji Okita (summer uniform) - Hakuōki SSL ~Sweet School Life~
SAT ---
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

I tend to go the other way (I like alternative versions, but I tend to go alternate formal/military/historical rather than alternate casual) but a well thought-out casual cosplay can be a great way to add some inexpensive versatility to your wardrobe.

For me, a bad casual version is one where I should have been able to guess who the character was, and couldn't. Being instantly recognisable in a different outfit is probably way harder than I think it is, though.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

If it's done with creativity (as an example; a school-uniform Riku. You wear the wig, do the uniform in similar colours to his pants and shirt- example, blue pants, white dress shirt but black and yellow tie-, maybe a piece of jewellery like a keyblade or a series-related accesory, or if you're skilled enough a school crest with a KH design), I like seeing it. I actually thought up (though never made) a few pyjama designs, myself (using KH as an example again, I designed Organization pyjamas for Zexion; black silk with the same sleeve cut and a bit of the nobody-symbol patterning, the top zipped up and was longer than a usual pyjama top, and a piece of silver braid on it for the coat-chains. And the normal wig)
But when someone slaps on random hot topic clothing with the character wig? Yeah, kind of lazy. I don't generally care for those.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
haruhi32
Y.ummy A.nime O.n I.nk XD

I'm actually doing something like this (hopefully) but instead ^^ i'm changing the outfit from her default to a steampunk design, I've only got part of the design down though at the moment....and since I'm doing something like you (though I'm making it more non-casual than before) I say go for it =3 just put your time [and lots of patience (as least for me)] into it like you would any other cosplay. just don't forget the symbols like everyone else has said, they are very important if you are going to do an adaption like this...and that was my 2 cents.
haruhi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
kiratsukai
culture shocked

I think it's fine if it makes you happy. I think everything is fine if it makes you happy.

But I do take issue with dressing something up with language to be more than it is.

Most people who go this route go this route because it's easier or all they have access to at the time. Not because it's "more original". But to hear them talk about it, you'd think they put weeks and weeks of thought into the design when it's obvious they're wearing something straight from the closet or bodyline with a wig.

It is not a huge logical step to take a young character and throw them in a school uniform... or to put any human being into a pair of pajamas, jeans and a t-shirt or a maid costume.

Unless you've genuinely spent hours designing and making or putting together a genuinely original version for your character ~ call it what it is: "a closet cosplay", "the best I could do", "a casual version of XXXXX". Not what it isn't ~ ie. "an original costume".

If you didn't design the costume or any of it's elements -- it isn't original.

Do whatever you please and I'll be gracious about it But don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 09-07-2010 at 05:52 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
I think it's fine if it makes you happy. I think everything is fine if it makes you happy.

But I do take issue with dressing something up with language to be more than it is.

Most people who go this route go this route because it's easier or all they have access to at the time. Not because it's "more original". But to hear them talk about it, you'd think they put weeks and weeks of thought into the design when it's obvious they're wearing something straight from the closet or bodyline with a wig.

It is not a huge logical step to take a young character and throw them in a school uniform... or to put any human being into a pair of pajamas, jeans and a t-shirt or a maid costume.

Unless you've genuinely spent hours designing and making or putting together a genuinely original version for your character ~ call it what it is: "a closet cosplay", "the best I could do", "a casual version of XXXXX". Not what it isn't ~ ie. "an original costume".

If you didn't design the costume or any of it's elements -- it isn't original.

Do whatever you please and I'll be gracious about it But don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.
I can see that being an issue. For my example, the casual Zelda, I would not just throw on some clothes and say I designed it, because I would want to put together something that no one has done before, because I would want it to be original and creative. I would make all the things I could, but because I'm not a great seamstress yet, what I couldn't, I would dye to match how I would want it (as I'm sure there isn't a jacket with the color scheme I'm thinking of.)

In other words, I agree with you. There has to be some level of creativity, along with thought and effort, but you can usually tell when a person just pulled clothes from their closet and when they actually put effort and thought into coordinating an outfit that resembles the character.

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote