Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Kasinator
Not quite human

"Is this exercise any good?" Thread

Okay, it suddenly seems we have a bunch of new people here that are asking for workout programs or asking if workout program x is good. So here I will post my two cents on each of these workouts, and show you all the ones we have here which are free and are effective.

celebrity workout videos: these programs are typically ok as long as they are not having you use some gimmicky gadget accompanying the program. When it comes to gadgets, there is never going to be gadget that improves your results and makes the exercise easier in the process. You cannot trade nothing for something.

Fitness guru DVDs: celebrities such as Jillian Michaels, while reputable often become sellouts. The DVDs are generally okay, but are mostly variety aerobics to keep you entertained with something different to try rather then just simple stuff. I cannot stress enough the cardio is no more effective then jogging, running or any other cardio exercise you can already do.

Beachbody DVDs: Beachbody has built their reputation on very structured programs educating people on proper fitness and diet. They usually use no equipment, or practical equipment such as weights, mats, and pullup bars. However these dvds are EXPENSIVE. The reality is while their results are fantastic, they teach nothing revolutionary that is already available online for free, or if you really feel obligated to pay for something is already in a book. The best feature with their programs hands down is the accompanied nutrition plans. Which will also recommend trying their supplementation products which are less effective and more expensive to existing counterparts. I will openly admit I used P90x in the beginning of my fitness experience. I lost roughly 40 lbs following the program to the letter. But I could have saved a lot of money had I done some light googling.

All the above DVDs and ones I have not mentioned: All these dvds have things in common that need mentioning. Almost all fitness programs sell you on the idea of working specifically on a specific area fat loss or targeted muscle. The reality is targeted fat loss is a myth. "But some of these really do work!" you say. The ones that do work are the ones having you do other exercises too. usually a lot of aerobics. Some dvds will have you do exercises that aren't really exercise but are designed to look like they are and enough people will fall for them and they can get away with releasing the next gimmick. The bottom line is most of these DVDs have a lot of misleads, the ones with results do just enough exercises to both entertain you and get you to try their next latest and greatest.

Now allow me to show the ones that are genuine, free, and will get you the best results:

Scooby: Former bodybuilder and all around awesome guy, scooby specializes in debunking stupid myths and gimmicks, showing you how to get the best body possible using the most budget conscious solutions possible. The man is 50 , but you wouldn't know from looking. His website also includes a forum for people to answer your questions. Just be sure to look for answers before asking questions. They might already be answered on the website. http://scoobysworkshop.com http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961

Zuzana: She is a personal trainer who specialized in no equipment workouts. she posts youtube workouts frequently and has a friendlier personality than most DVD trainers ever will. http://www.bodyrock.tv http://www.youtube.com/user/charliejames1975

Finally Bodybuilding.com is a genuine goldmine for fitness, weight loss and muscle building. They have credible information, a large forum with lots of different categories from dieting to motivation. Just don't get too wrapped up in their supplement deals.
http://www.bodybuilding.com

And please do us a favor and read our stickies and existing workout guides already posted here. they require little to no equipment, and I guarantee results as long as you follow them accordingly.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
bkyoung

I personally dont like scoobys forum. I used to be a member of it a while ago. They usually harrass and flame whoever comes on the forum with a different point of view as they do, instead of helping them. However, their workouts are reliable the commun is less then welcoming :P
bkyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
Kasinator
Not quite human

yeah people do have egos on their board. A lot of it comes from the persons method of growth. a lot of which boils down to wether your routine is overtraining or not training enough. You just got to be carful to read what's already there, and take things into the perspective of being someone who knows nothing. I came in asking around for a better biceps routine to discover I was overtraining. Did I look Like an idiot? You bet. But I humbled up and asked what should I do instead? I listened to both disputing parties sides and drew my own conclusions. Let me just say right now from my experience, They do know what they are talking about, and they wont immediately try selling you supplements along the way.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
KoriStarfire

This information is priceless!! Thank you so much for posting it and posting free alternatives! I've been getting pretty bored with my current workout and have been looking for something else to throw into the mix. thank you!

Animosity Cosplay
Next Con: JAPAN
Costumes: Sailor Venus, Duo Maxwell
KoriStarfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
andprosper

The Masala Bhangra workout is good, especially for those into Bollywood. It's fun to learn a dance while working out, and to be quite honest, I'm decently in shape and I break a sweat five minutes in. It works muscle groups that I forgot existed with American/Western dance videos. It's also a mental workout - Indian dance has feet, head, hands, legs, and arms all doing something different. It takes me several tries at the video to not trip over myself. So I find it mentally stimulating as well.

I only have one of Sarina Jain's videos, so I did eventually get bored of it. But it did keep me interested for a good amount of time and I always felt like I'd gotten a really good workout afterwards.

Learning any kind of dance is usually lots of fun. For those into anime, learning Japanese dances can really keep you interested. For me, I watch Bollywood films and learn the dances they do.
Megara (Hercules) - 50% (on hold)
Rapunzel (Tangled) - 95%
andprosper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
32spartan11
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasinator View Post
Beachbody DVDs: Beachbody has built their reputation on very structured programs educating people on proper fitness and diet. They usually use no equipment, or practical equipment such as weights, mats, and pullup bars. However these dvds are EXPENSIVE. The reality is while their results are fantastic, they teach nothing revolutionary that is already available online for free, or if you really feel obligated to pay for something is already in a book. The best feature with their programs hands down is the accompanied nutrition plans. Which will also recommend trying their supplementation products which are less effective and more expensive to existing counterparts. I will openly admit I used P90x in the beginning of my fitness experience. I lost roughly 40 lbs following the program to the letter. But I could have saved a lot of money had I done some light googling.
In reality they really are not expensive. I have tried p90x and no the workouts are not that ground breaking it isn't something special. but for around $200 (program 120, pull up bar 30 plus dumbbells or bands) you have a complete fitness system. Most gyms are some where between 25-50 bucks a month (yes there are some cheaper and more expensive). Stretch that out over a year and your looking at a lot more money (300-600). So you may have to shell out more money at first but it's worth it when you can cycle through the program many times. for someone who is serious about fitness 200 dollars is a small price to pay. Though it is true for a teen who doesn't have a job it may not be an option.

Another thing is while you may be able to find some workouts through google in all likely hood finding a complete workout that is good isn't that easy because everyone and their mother wants to sell their workout to you (except us in these forums!).

P90x lays out absolutely everything for you it is about as "idiot proof" as something could be. Gives you the dvds (which teach proper form), work out logs, nutrition, food journal, recipes, digital log and an overview of the whole program for 120. Basically step by step instructions on how to lose weight. Plus its right there in your own home and once you pop in a dvd instant motivation (at least for me).

Now I will say p90x is not for me. I don't need to lose weight and that is what it is designed to do; lose weight and endurance. If someone is looking to build muscle look else where. I have done the first phase as the entire program was given to me as a stroke of luck. It's not the best program but for a beginner it is about the best thing beside having a close friend who is knowledgeable and will workout with you. It puts everything in your lap you just need to do it.

Just my two cents. As usual some good advice I just wanted to elaborate on the p90x because it gets a ridiculous amount of exposure. For the absolute beginner it is an asset while someone with just a little bit of experience under their belt it may not be.

my workout blog

http://weightgainersguide.blogspot.com/
32spartan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
Selkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32spartan11 View Post
In reality they really are not expensive. I have tried p90x and no the workouts are not that ground breaking it isn't something special. but for around $200 (program 120, pull up bar 30 plus dumbbells or bands) you have a complete fitness system. Most gyms are some where between 25-50 bucks a month (yes there are some cheaper and more expensive). Stretch that out over a year and your looking at a lot more money (300-600). So you may have to shell out more money at first but it's worth it when you can cycle through the program many times. for someone who is serious about fitness 200 dollars is a small price to pay. Though it is true for a teen who doesn't have a job it may not be an option.

Another thing is while you may be able to find some workouts through google in all likely hood finding a complete workout that is good isn't that easy because everyone and their mother wants to sell their workout to you (except us in these forums!).

P90x lays out absolutely everything for you it is about as "idiot proof" as something could be. Gives you the dvds (which teach proper form), work out logs, nutrition, food journal, recipes, digital log and an overview of the whole program for 120. Basically step by step instructions on how to lose weight. Plus its right there in your own home and once you pop in a dvd instant motivation (at least for me).

Now I will say p90x is not for me. I don't need to lose weight and that is what it is designed to do; lose weight and endurance. If someone is looking to build muscle look else where. I have done the first phase as the entire program was given to me as a stroke of luck. It's not the best program but for a beginner it is about the best thing beside having a close friend who is knowledgeable and will workout with you. It puts everything in your lap you just need to do it.

Just my two cents. As usual some good advice I just wanted to elaborate on the p90x because it gets a ridiculous amount of exposure. For the absolute beginner it is an asset while someone with just a little bit of experience under their belt it may not be.
THIS. Id have to say all of the beachbody dvds arnt worth the money and time. The plateau effect is a clear case. If you want real results go to a gym and do some of your own research.
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
32spartan11
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkies View Post
THIS. Id have to say all of the beachbody dvds arnt worth the money and time. The plateau effect is a clear case. If you want real results go to a gym and do some of your own research.
I was being specific to p90x as that is the only program I've seen in full and used from them. But I agree going to a gym with a good workout and nutrition plam your going to get better results. But, some people that have absolute no experience working out and dieting, or that have some experience, are going to be completely lost at the gym, I see it all the time. By educated college students because googling workouts isn't that simple.

But i'm not sure what you mean by "the plateau effect is a clear case"? If your saying it is inaccurate how they present it I totally agree, it's pure marketing. Do people plateau? sure but not in three weeks of doing an exercise like the p90x suggest.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "real results" you can go to the beach body forums and see literally 1000s of people who've had results from the p90x.

my workout blog

http://weightgainersguide.blogspot.com/
32spartan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
pancake-fong
Likes Pancakes

A bit of a thread revival...but what do you guys think of this program? Do you guys think that it could help for...well...doing as it says. Couch to 5k in 9 weeks? The couch to 5k program?:

http://www.c25k.com

Last edited by pancake-fong : 06-24-2011 at 04:18 PM.
pancake-fong is offline   Reply With Quote