Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 09-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Harra Arial
Phoenix Wright Fanatic

Magic and Technology: Steampunk Wizards?

This might be sliiightly out there, but I feel the necessity to ask anyway.

How would you go about mixing Steampunk and Magic characters? For example, a secret society of Wizards nestled in the heart of a Steampunk city? Would they use various forms of Magitek (Gracious, I love that term), or something else? Likewise, how would that translate into fashion? (Part of me is thinking metallic shades in robes, or Magitek armour with lots of light-ups and gears.)

Really, it might be sliiightly out there, but I couldn't help but figure what you lovely people in the Steampunk forum could come up with.

That being said. Why just limit it to the Wizards, what about Witches? Or Warlocks? Depending on rank and magical specialty, what would they wear? What kind of gear would they have?

Any ideas, praytell?

That, my dears, is why life is so exciting, because we are different from one-another.

~~~

Care to get in contact with me?
HarraArial@yahoo.com
Drop me an Instant Messenge, I'd be honoured to speak with you~
Harra Arial is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Access

Wizards may in actuality be pretenders who use technology (forbidden, not yet understood, out-of-concept (ie. not 'steampunk') or such) and fool people into thinking that they are not using technology but instead have real 'magical powers'. Similar in concept to the 'man behind the curtain' or the wizard of oz.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6191709AASea4v
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Harra Arial
Phoenix Wright Fanatic

Ooh~ I was aiming for the characters having actual powers, but in a story or LARP setting, having pretenders could make a fascinating plot and conflict of interest!

Thank you muchly, I'll have to take this into consideration. Do you think the "Pretenders" would wear far flashier costumes than the real Magicians due to wanting to be noticed by others for being 'special' and whatnot? Sort of like the Wizard of Oz created an illusion to make him look great and powerful? How would this translate into a costume, do you think?

That, my dears, is why life is so exciting, because we are different from one-another.

~~~

Care to get in contact with me?
HarraArial@yahoo.com
Drop me an Instant Messenge, I'd be honoured to speak with you~
Harra Arial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Skeff

I wouldn't really see much of a problem in this. I played a game a while back called Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, it was really fun. Its pretty much a mix of a magical and steam tech society set in the dark ages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum...Magick_Obscura

"Your mechanical minions have been defeated! Now its just you, me, me, me and meeeee!"

Table Tops, Drinking and Stuff
http://totalmisanthropy.blogspot.com/
Skeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Ironhill

Mediums and occult practioneers were very popular during the Victorian age. Your wizard could make a living off the rich by providing this kind of service. Think of a steamed Raspudin.

As for clothing, dress as a gentleman but replace the suitcoat with a full length robe, maybe black with arcane symbols embroidered in silver. Top it off with a turban or fez or other exotic hat and a walking stick made out of brass or copper with a glowing crystal in the end. Carry a bag with your other arcane supplies including a grimour and spell components.

Hmmn, I might have to make this someday.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
from_the_aether

Take a look at the Xbox 360 game "Lost Odyssey", the whole game is basically designed around a mix of steampunk and magic.
from_the_aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
astrya02
blogger supreme

this definitely wouldn't be a completely unheard of idea.

i'd suggest looking at games like final fantasy vi (magitek armour galore!) and lost odyssey.

as for doing the "pretender" idea that access put out, it sounds very cool! if you were to do that, i'd say that there'd be an unlimited number of contraptions you could build into the costume that each do different things. like a spout that, when you wave your "wand," could shoot out steam or bubbles or something :P (it would be a lot of hard work if you were to actually make it though...)

but if you went for the more magic-exists style, then definitely check out steam-inspired video games! instead of a witches hat, maybe use a top hat with a thick ribbon that has gears dangling from the ends! and rustic cloaks and...

ooooh i'm getting all excited about this now!
astrya02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhill View Post
Mediums and occult practioneers were very popular during the Victorian age. Your wizard could make a living off the rich by providing this kind of service. Think of a steamed Raspudin.

As for clothing, dress as a gentleman but replace the suitcoat with a full length robe, maybe black with arcane symbols embroidered in silver. Top it off with a turban or fez or other exotic hat and a walking stick made out of brass or copper with a glowing crystal in the end. Carry a bag with your other arcane supplies including a grimour and spell components.

Hmmn, I might have to make this someday.
Ironhill is correct about occultism and the Victorian Age (just watched a documentary on Crowley, but this is expressed in a number of sources). And I think the suggestions for clothing are perfect.
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote