Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Harra Arial
Phoenix Wright Fanatic

Flexibility Training?

Well, what with all the threads about weight-loss, here is something different.

For a far-off-in-the-future (say, when I have more resources) Cosplay, I would like to do Voldo from Soul Calibur. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, until you account for the fact his motions are very very difficult for the average person to pull off. Besides that, I'm not very flexible to begin with.

To give you guys an idea of what I'd have to do:

Linkage to videos here. (Nothing too explicit, save for the fact he's decked out in straps and a codpiece. And some people think his 'voice' (hissing) is creepy.)

Now, I'm going to be realistic and know for fact I'll never get to all those crazy somersaults and flips without professional training, but is there anything you lovely people could tell me to improve basic flexibility for all the other delightful freaky-motions this guy does?

That, my dears, is why life is so exciting, because we are different from one-another.

~~~

Care to get in contact with me?
HarraArial@yahoo.com
Drop me an Instant Messenge, I'd be honoured to speak with you~
Harra Arial is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
SamuriSmurfX
No distractions.

Yoga.

That's all.

Seriously. People who take yoga and put into practice more than just a weekly event have fantastic flexibility and look younger in my experience. Running I think would also aid this as it makes you limber and loose.

There are things that don't go smoothly but sometimes, you come to see things because they don't go smoothly
--Yukino Miyazawa
SamuriSmurfX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Harra Arial
Phoenix Wright Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriSmurfX View Post
Yoga.

That's all.

Seriously. People who take yoga and put into practice more than just a weekly event have fantastic flexibility and look younger in my experience. Running I think would also aid this as it makes you limber and loose.
Ooh, didn't think of that~ my Dah's been taking up yoga, actually, so I'll have to steal his tapes sometime~ Thank you muchly!

That, my dears, is why life is so exciting, because we are different from one-another.

~~~

HarraArial@yahoo.com
Unread 09-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
ByronSpiegal
The CoPness

I recommend plyometrics as well.

My Web comic Twin Shadow

CoP's One true Kamen Rider

Weeaboo Slayer for hire
ByronSpiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Harra Arial
Phoenix Wright Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronSpiegal View Post
I recommend plyometrics as well.
Plyometrics? Forgive me, I don't think I've ever heard of this type of training. By the name alone, I assume it involves making your body much more plyable, but what is it, praytell?

~~~

HarraArial@yahoo.com
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harra Arial View Post
Plyometrics? Forgive me, I don't think I've ever heard of this type of training. By the name alone, I assume it involves making your body much more plyable, but what is it, praytell?
Plyometrics (also known as "plyos") is a type of exercise training designed to produce fast, powerful movements, and improve the functions of the nervous system, generally for the purpose of improving performance in sports. Plyometric movements, in which a muscle is loaded and then contracted in rapid sequence, use the strength, elasticity and innervation of muscle and surrounding tissues to jump higher, run faster, throw farther, or hit harder, depending on the desired training goal. Plyometrics is used to increase the speed or force of muscular contractions, providing explosiveness for a variety of sport-specific activities. Plyometrics are useful for several sports - notably soccer, rugby, basketball, track and field athletics, racket sports and martial arts.

In a nutshell it's basically explosive muscle training. Thrusting, jerking, and sudden explosive movements, probably clapping push ups are a good example, or jumping and lunging on one leg from a box holding a super mario stance =)
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
nachan

On the same topic, does anyone use a yoga DVD that they really recommend? I've been going through the ones at my local library and a couple I bought from the bargain bin, and so far I'm having trouble finding one that really works for me.

So far all the DVDs I have tried suffer at least one of these problems:
-Poorly produced (For example, narration track resets halfway through the pose, so I have to watch and figure out on my own instead of being instructed)

-Pose order is non-sensical (sitting pose, to pose utilizing a wall, to pose needing a chair, back to another wall pose, to a laying down pose, to a pose that uses a resistance band. Annoying to have to keep moving equipment around and going to different places in the apartment. Also sucks when I have very limited floor space and the only empty wall space is far from the TV)

-Too spiritually-focused (I would love something that I can just pop in after my aerobic warmup that really works on my leg and back flexibility right away. Most of the yoga DVDs I've found are really focused on the spiritual balancing merits of yoga, and start off with a lot of deep breathing and focusing on the inner soul, etc. etc., which I have to fast-forward through. From there, they still seem to move really slowly. I want something that will really stretch me out!)

-Poor narration (Some narration assumes I know the names/phrases of yoga, and explains things in a way that does not clearly communicate what I'm supposed to do. The best narration is one where I can basically figure out what I'm supposed to do without having to stare at the screen the entire time. One of my DVDs has the following narration for one section, imagine less than a second of pause between each comma: "Inhaling, standing arch position, press with your feet, lift through the crown of your head, draw your shoulders back, exhaling, step back, and lower through chadoranga (?), up dog, inhaling, pressing with the hands, spreading your fingers, and pressing through the tops of your toes." This means nothing to me. Maybe it could have said "While bending at the waist, straighten your legs and stretch through your lower back. Now, place your hands on the floor, step back, and lower yourself into a push-up position. Bend your arms to lower yourself to the ground. Now, point your toes and let the the tops of your feet rest on the ground. Push up with your arms, and arch your back." Instead, the narrator just rattles off a bunch of vague phrases and commands that don't make sense without keeping your eyes glued to the screen. It's all in present-tense, spoken in kind of an anticipatory tone, as if to say "do this, and this, while doing this, but don't get too comfortable because I'm going to ask you do to something else in just a second" I understand that it's a DVD, and I'm supposed to watch it, but if my head is supposed to be between my legs, it would be nice to be able to figure out what I need to be doing just by listening.)

So my ideal yoga DVD would be well-produced, wouldn't run me back and forth between the wall and a chair, would be light on the spiritual and breathing stuff, and would have sensible and clear instructions. It would also be really great to find something that had different "chapters" which split up the stretching into different muscle groups so I could do a whole bunch of leg poses right off the bat.

So... any recommendations? =)
nachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

^ This.

My mom got a Yoga DVD set for her birthday. It's supposed to be beginners Yoga, but uses a lot of fancy phrases and the poses are quite complex...
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
NiwaNiwa
Is eating your food

Yoga >w<
You can try dancing too.. and bending/stretching.. Pilates [although in my experience it's
?disturbing? how many old ladies there are >.> <.<]

planning stage!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...rbfao1_400.gif

If you were a pokemon, I'd choose you baby <3
NiwaNiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
AleriaCarventus
Your mother's table!

Aikido.
I took my first class yesterday and omgosh I stretched muscles I didn't know I had, and I'm already fairly flexible! about 45 minutes of our 2 hour class was stretching (half hour before, 15 minutes after)
VCon - Daenerys Targaryen (GoT)

GottaCon - Jhoira of the Ghitu (M:tG)
TsukinoCon - Makise Kurisu (Stein's Gate)
AleriaCarventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 03:19 AM   #11
distantarray

I...couldn't resist
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Kasinator
Not quite human

yoga X from the p90x DVDs really is the only one I've tried. and the order and narration makes the most sense to me. It sort of builds up the poses as opposed to sparatically changing to a wild card pose. it teaches you to breathe through the pose and helps you develop big time.

again the only DVD I've tried but it definitely worked in my favor at anime north!

Just make sure you look out for grass stains. Yuk.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD

Last edited by Kasinator : 09-20-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
CrystalNeko
Moogle Power~!

I know nothing about yoga I'm afraid (I did a couple lessons when I was at school but yeah... I know nothing XD) however I can say that doing normal stretches daily for 30mins (I often do this in front of the telly, you get bored otherwise!) really does improve your flexibility in the long run.

Look up various stretches (normally just on the floor) and in a couple months you will notice a big difference so long as you keep to the daily routine. Take a break like every Sunday or something to relax but yeah.

If you do this along with yoga like everyone else has suggested then you'll get amazing results~ : D

(I just wish I could follow my advice as I only ever stretch once a week max ROFL. I'm so lazy...)
CrystalNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

I've been doing the Bar Method Designer Sculpting DVD 2-3x a week for about two months now and I am getting more flexible. Nothing dramatic, but I've noticed an improvement when I stretch.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
SilentCAt
Twisted Hi-def Fly girl

Take Capoeira along with Yoga.
Felicia Darkstalkers

----
Upcoming Con- TBA 2013
SilentCAt is offline   Reply With Quote