Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
RoninMimi
Amy

Help, I need muscles! D:

Anybody got some good strength building exercises? I'm more interested with those types of workouts than the weight loss ones. Keep in mind that I am a girl who doesn't exactly workout that much so I might not be able to do all that expert level stuff until way later.
So far, I've been doing the obvious exercises like push-ups and sit-ups, but that's all I do.

Unread 03-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
lemuries

Do you have access to dumbbells or a gym?

Without them, the things that come to mind besides push-ups and sit-ups are lunges, squats, tricep dips on a bench or sturdy chair, and calf raises done on a stair step. Actually, burpees, mountain climbers, plank, and boat pose come to mind too.

When you do sit-ups, do you do four variations (regular, left oblique, right oblique, leg raises)?

The key to building muscle is to do your exercise until the muscles can't perform any more (known as "to fatigue"), rest, and then do it again (your fatigue should come much sooner), rest, and do it again. Give your muscles plenty of lean protein and carbs (look up "recovery meal" to get an idea of what I mean) afterwards, to use in the rebuilding process, and then rest those particular muscles for at least two days while you do other things.

----

Hopefully anyone who disagrees with me will post here and help you with different advice
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Antifreeze

What lumeries said, if you are looking for a simple program strong lifts is a good one.

Remember building muscle requires you to lift heavy. Doing 20 pushups is good but will not build much muscle. Doing 5 weighted pushups is better.

Make sure to look up muscle building diets. You might be surprised at what you learn.
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Tee_Bird
Gamer

Strong Lifts is recommended a lot, and also The New Rules of Lifting for Women book (which I've just started reading)

WORKS IN PROGRESS
Tali'Zorah (Mass Effect) - PAX Prime 2012
Novice Mage (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim) - Planet Comicon KC 2014

Follow me on Twitter
Tee_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
RoninMimi
Amy

Thanks for the advice, guys!
As of now, I do not have access to a gym. I will in a few months though. But I will take what you all said into consideration.
Unread 03-27-2014, 01:24 AM   #6
Deathfist

Doing exercises that work multiple muscles at a time are key for a beginner, these are called compound movements. For example when you are doing your pushups you are hitting the pecs, shoulders and triceps. The alternative to a compound move is called an isolation exercise, which for the pecs would be the dumbbell-fly on a bench. You can also work harder when doing compound movements, which is also key. The best piece of advice I can give you is DON'T BE AFRAID OF GETTING TOO BIG/BULKY. I hear too many people say this, and trust me it won't happen. Hope this helps and good luck
Deathfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #7
RoninMimi
Amy

Thank you Deathfist! Shouldn't be too hard for me then because I'm not afraid of that!
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Bovice

Honestly, you could make an entire routine based on a handful of movements.

Major movements you'll want in any routine:
-Bench press (and variants, such as dumbbell bench press)
-Squat (and variants, such as front squats, goblet squats (great to start), etc.)
-Deadlift (and variants, such as stiff legged deadlift)
-Pull-ups (and variants such as weighted, varying grips, chin ups. Assisted pull up is good if you can't do any, but would want to add things like dumbbell row and lat pull down in that case)
-Dips (and eventually work to weighted dips)

I'd throw those exercises into any routine, then expand upon it depending on particular goals
Bovice is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
lemuries

There are things that you can make at home (here's another set of suggestions and here's a video) without a lot of money that will serve as weights (i.e. dumbbells) for the next few months before you can get into a gym and use their equipment.

Once you have these dumbbells, you can do a lot more exercises (fly, row, press) and you can also make exercises you do now even more useful (squats, lunges, crunches) when you add more weight to them.

One of the coolest things someone just posted a few weeks ago in a thread here was the shovelglove workout. If you have a sledge around the house, this should cost you almost nothing to put together, but I can only imagine how good of a workout it'll be.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:56 AM   #10
Stupendous_Man

This may sound off the wall but Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding is probably the best go-to guide for really getting jacked off your face. His writing style is incredibly motivational to me and I think that's a big help. Having said that, keep this in mind:

1. I'm not a professional bodybuilder. I just want to look better and feel better. I use his book as a guide and for reference. You can always supplement your advice from a reputable online publication, like Muscle and Fitness.

2. Find a friend that has already been doing this for some time, if you can. I got a buddy who deadlifts something like 400 lbs. That isn't anywhere near my goal but he knows what he's doing and he taught the ropes in about a week and I'll never again be afraid to walk into a gym again.

Good luck!
Stupendous_Man is offline   Reply With Quote