Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

Need some Tips.

sooooo I've been searching...for a long while, can't really find anything too useful for what I'm trying to do.

I'm about 5'7'', and weigh about maybe 125-130ish, I have a 28 waist, I think...probably smaller, so I definitely don't need to lose any weight, and I hardly have any body fat at all.

I go to school for dance, so like...I'm active, and I have a bit of muscle, but I'm super springy and tight, so I have like...tiny arms, tiny chicken legs, almost no definition in my chest.

I'm wondering if anybody has any tips to where I could make my arms and legs a little...err....thicker I guess would be the term? also, looking for some tips on how to work to where my chest will be a little fuller.

If you need an example of my diet:

Breakfast usually consists of some eggs and bread, or some fruit, cereal, and greek yogurt.

Lunch is usually smaller, like a sandwich or a salad with some chicken and nuts, and dinner's usually whatever my mother makes, which is pretty much....hardly ever anything unhealthy, we avoid non-organic things as much as possible.
NYCC 2015

Planned cosplays: Wiccan- young avengers
Klarion Bleak the Witch Boy
Braithcakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

If you want to grow, then you need to do two things.
1. Exercise
2. Eat more.

Dancers tend to be very fit, so I'm betting you get more than enough activity in a given day, and the fact is that you are burning a whole ton of calories during all that activity. Weight change is very simple calories in vs calories out, what you eat vs what you burn. To put on muscle (I'm thinking thats what you want) you have to make sure that those are good calories and include enough protein.

Given from what you said your diet is like I'd probably fit in another lunch between breakfast and dinner, about the same size as the one you are currently eating, and split the time as convenient between the other meals. Also you can probably safely add a protein rich "snack" later after dinner, ~2-3 hours after, of something like nuts/tuna fish/cottage cheese, or a shake or something.

Just try to up your eating slowly, your appetite should increase and as long as your activity stays high you should see some nice changes over the coming months (its not a race! )

Edit - Also make sure you drink enough water. Very important to couple along with the increase in food. Plus it can help make your muscles look a little fuller and rounded out to be properly hydrated.

Last edited by Rjr3412 : 09-17-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

=]

K thanks very much, and yeah...love me some water >< I used to hate water and now it's all I drink because of the skin benefits of drinking water.

Thanks again :]
NYCC 2015

Planned cosplays: Wiccan- young avengers
Klarion Bleak the Witch Boy
Braithcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjr3412 View Post
If you want to grow, then you need to do two things.
1. Exercise what you want to grow.
2. Eat more.
Weeelllllllll not quite. At least in my opinion. by that logic I would only be doing crunches and bicep curls. All areas of the body should be worked regardless of goals. I agree in working harder in some areas more than other don't get me wrong, but if you tell a person new to working out just to work where you want to grow, they wont know that you need to work other areas to loose fat and gain muscle.

I will agree people make the mistake of under eating. and that they should avoid at all costs!

Be sure to check out the thread directory Braithcakes. There you will find nutrition guides and the right workout routine for what your goals are. If you're looking for strait up muscle mass just take a look at my workout routine.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

To be fair, I gave the advice I thought would be most helpful to this person. They are already very active (dance) and likely have specific goals. While a full body workout can help anyone, and the hormone releases are pivotal, I was assuming (I know ass & me, lol) that it was the nutrition/eating aspect that would be most useful to keep up with.

Probably should have kept in mind that others will use this info too, lol.

And I edited for clarity
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Kasinator
Not quite human

good to think in that mindset. When I say work every area I should also clarify the concept of working split routines (one body part per day of the week). that way the person can have his body recover the best possible way.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
aaachiaki
A.A.A. Podcast Hostess

To go along with eating more, you should try to ingest more protein. Eating something high in protein within 45 minutes of working out will help you build muscle.

I eat gold standard whey protein. Doesn't use aspertame, has like 24 grams of protein per scoop, reasonably priced against other whey protein.

Another benefit to eating whey supplements is that they often times will add important amino acids and other vitamins your body needs. Plus, they really don't taste so bad.
aaachiaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
distantarray

if you want bigger arms and chest you have to workout with heavy weights and don't neglect other muscles of your body just cause you want a bigger chest and arms.

Friend of mine over worked his chest and had to go to the hospital for pains in his rear delts cause he neglected his back so much in comparison that it was causing his back to strain itself. 6months later he still feels discomfort although a lot less. He didn't think about balance so he's paying for it now.

As for increasing size of the arms there is a limit to the size of your arms can grow naturally if you don't workout the rest of your body. According to Arthur Jones which is a top figure in bodybuilding there's a formula that he used to disprove that Arnold had 22 inch arms cold like Joe Weider tried to claim.

Also your chest there's no way around bigger arms in obtaining your chest, cause initially until your chest muscles develop your arms will be doing most of the lifting in your chest, your 1st month bench will GREATLY differ from your 3-4 month bench. I see people who have hard time getting up 95 pounds pushing 135 or even 185 within a couple months.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
Captain Planet
Registered Planet

I'd say benching. My bro did that a lot, I did very little. And we are VERY different (tho we both like to work out) He's ''thicker'' from everywhere (well.. he also works out WAY more than me) to the point where I wonder if I should still call him ''lil'' Vin Diesel.

Of course TOO much would throw everything else out of proportion, but for good forearm exercise there's this thing.. the wrist roller and... well, mostly everything else from that page really:

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...gthehands.html

but I noticed that by adding a set of repetitions of the wrist roller (didn't know it was called that until now XD I thought my dad invented it ''back in the days''.. o silly me) in my training sessions, I noticeably gained forearm mass.

So if you want to match those forearms with your arms, this can be good.

For legs? Biking (trails mostly, not entirely off-road). I used to bike all the time, always in the hardest gear. The only reason I stopped that (and forced myself to ''shift'') is because I'd wreck my chains when starting to bike putting all my strength and weight on the pedals as I'd start after having stopped. And a loose chain gets annoying fast -.-

For something different which uses everything in your body? Monkeying around monkey-bars ;3

Sure, it's mostly in kid parks but hey? Nothing wrong with working out there - especially if there's no one around! Well.. I know I do it all the time at work; no one ever complained ;p

Last edited by Captain Planet : 09-17-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Captain Planet is offline   Reply With Quote