Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
CelestialShadow

Tokyo Game Show: after thoughts

Well TGS has come and gone but what did you all think of it who attended? What did you like? What did you not like? What was your over all impression?

This being my first TGS I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity of attendees, there were so many people from all over the world that it felt almost like being back in america for me. It was a breath of fresh air in comparison to Comiket. I think the cosplayers are all high level and amazing to look at, and it was even more fun that we were able to take part in all of it.

I can think of anything that I did not like other than the lines for the game demos being WAY too long but just walking around and looking at all the booths was good enough for me. I did wait in line for the square enix showcase and got myself a cute stuffed moogle from FF14. I also wish I could have taken more photos of cosplayers but the cosplay arena was too crowded to really comfortably move around.

I was also really happy to meet so many new people and make new friends.

I am looking forward to next year already!
CelestialShadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
mixaka
Granter of wishes

This was the 4th consecutive TGS I've attended and probably my best experience yet. It's also the first time I've been able to go for 2 days rather than just one.

In terms of booths, I have noticed that there seem to be fewer companies present every year but that the number of attendees doesn't seem to change much which has lead to longer and longer lines and wait times at the major games and screenings each year. Also, the amount of free stuff available has dropped significantly. I remember my first TGS in 2007. I couldn't turn a corner without someone shoving a demo disk, lanyard, mousepad, cloth bag, or coffee mug at me. Now they are a rare find and require you actually DO something for them. They often tend to run out of any/all free stuff quickly too.

The game I was most excited for this year was Ni no Kuni and it was where I headed first on both days. Best to head to what you want to try the most first to help avoid the lines. While I'm a huge Square Enix fan, I avoid that area like the plague due to the crowds but I too snagged a plush Moogle along with a Moogle glass and a valor strap from the new online game. I was also pleasantly surprised by the fact an Umineko game is coming out and that they were doing promotions. The 'get a gold bar' event made my day given I was cosplaying from the series.

In terms of cosplay, there is no competition compared to years past. The private changing room, guest badge, early entrance, and sponsorship were all amazing bonuses. And, in the end, most of us did work hard for it! Not having to wait in the massive line to change into my cosplay was an absolute godsend. I was seriously considering not cosplaying this year given that I wanted to actually check things out and not devote all my time to cosplay. Luckily, this year I was able to enjoy both cosplaying and gaming all on the same day for the first time ever. The time I would normally have been in massive line to change in and out of my costume, I was able to play all the games I wanted to play, see all the things I wanted to see, grab lunch, and then spend the rest of the day cosplaying. It was perfect and only really got tiresome during the 'dance' party which was something that probably needs to be explained and organized a bit better for next year. Keeping us all in costume for that long is a bit much. Especially with no dinner break. I really do hope they continue with special events and extras for cosplayers in the future.
mixaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Masonkun
Superbadass

i dont know it seemed a little ify. a lot of the stuff being shown seemed like old news. the attendees were great though i didnt expect such an international crowd. much more diverse than comiket or the anime fair.

I cant wait for comiket though for some cosplay. ill start a thread for winter comiket in a week. for all those who want to go
Masonkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
DanRSL
repatriated :<

It was a very good time, but it sort of had a strange air to me. I think it was because I, and probably many of us here, went with the intent of cosplaying first, going to a game show second.

Compared to other events I've been to - Comiket, Gataket, TFT, and some event in Tokyo that I forget the name, it had a more pleasant crowd because I think I felt a lot more comfortable with the not-so-reserved feel of some of the cosplayers and photographers/casuals. Gataket, for example, was uncomfortable. The whole thing was way too single minded, and without any distraction between taking a whole bunch of pictures of one person, it was awkward. Comiket is nice, but the strictness kind of bugs me. I know, it has to be strict or the whole place will implode and that will ruin the cosplaying for everyone, but still. TFT was nice, but like Gataket, events without distraction make me feel weird. But then again, when we had a whole bunch of us there, it was a lot of fun.

TGS on the other hand had a good level of distraction, and the diversity of the crowd was relaxing and intriguing. The cosplay space, despite its smallness and heat, was GREAT. It was a wonderful balance of indoors/outdoors so we got enough light without the direct sunlight. If only it was a bit bigger. As far the the Game Show part of it went... meh. I got my Mega Man towel, that was enough. But they can't all be winners that blow your mind, right?

Overall, I had a great time. A lot of that was thanks to Mr. Ma and Cosgroove, I can't imagine what it would have been like to have to wait in those lines. Even if we did have to embarrassingly stand in front of confused crowds and dance for the camera. Seeing everyone from Comiket and meeting all the new people was a blast, I'm really going to miss everyone in Japan, but who knows, maybe I'll find my way back somehow.
DanRSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
Strifehart

I had a lot of fun. Honestly to me conventions are about the cosplay, and everything else is an added bonus. While that was by far more intense than any other con I have been to, it was pretty hard to get bored XD I got to meet some great new friends of which I thoroughly enjoyed the company of each and every one. And they/you helped me while I was being a major Japantard.

Again my only major complaint was Square Enix being a bunch of cheap bastards as usual >.> Squaresoft, I miss you...
Strifehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 04:33 AM   #6
CelestialShadow

I feel your pain strifehart....Square enix seems to insult its own fan base....how stupid do they think we are?
Unread 09-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
HezaChan
Cosplay is my CRACK.

I had a load of fun, but honestly I had wished they had set times for breaks or something, as a lot of us didn't get much to eat or drink. Also, the dance.. i wish they didn't make us stay there. I was pretty exhausted and dehydrated and I'm sure many more where as well. But those are about my only complaints.

However, it was really nice to have our own dressing room. It made things go a lot quicker and easier.

It was wonderful getting to meet Japanese cosplayers, and also making new friends.
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HezaChan View Post
I had a load of fun, but honestly I had wished they had set times for breaks or something, as a lot of us didn't get much to eat or drink.
Aside from maybe the dance, you weren't ever required to stay in the cosplay area at all times. :/ You could leave to get food!

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
HezaChan
Cosplay is my CRACK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Aside from maybe the dance, you weren't ever required to stay in the cosplay area at all times. :/ You could leave to get food!
I did. However, when I came back for the group photo, we seemed to be corralled everywhere, and when I had asked to leave, they kept saying "just a little more, please wait" and that wait turned out to be until 9pm.
Unread 09-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I escaped. I was never led to the dance party thing, and I was able to just go to the changing room early while it was going on and left TGS then. The staff didn't seem to mind. I was commuting from an hour away, so I really didn't want to be there too late, and they understood. *shrug* It is weird to hear that they actually more or less denied your request to leave, but I imagine if you really put your foot down they'd've let you.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
Masonkun
Superbadass

thats why i like tft its so easy to get to the tft events and get out of them i was going to go to the dance but i was exhausted
Masonkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
kiratsukai
culture shocked

I enjoyed it a lot.

Everyone invited seemed to put a lot of time, money and effort into their costumes. The variety was refreshing, people had great attitudes about the event and the overall feeling was quite friendly.

I was blown away by the hospitality and patience of Mr. Ma and Yuna (bless her, forgotten name and all). Even the cosmode staff and the security guards were amazing: smiling and laughing at flubs, language mistakes and holding doors for people in difficult costumes.

Koh, as always was great. Meeting Eisuke, Heza, mixaka, Michi, and Strifeheart was a lot of fun. People were chill and very much into "the experience".

I was really flattered to get a chance to play photographer for Strife, Dan, Ace and Ceslete even for just a bit. The positive comments about photos really got me excited about photos and even got me into a shop looking for reflectors and filters to play with next time.

The Japanese FFXIII cosplayers were all eager to pose with us without any embarassment or reservations. Never did anyone panic that we might not speak Japanese or worry that our costumes didn't match or if characters doubled up or were off-series. They hopped in and out of photos and dispensed cards like champions I'm really greatful for the positive feedback and all of the great groups we were able to make in spite of half of our own group flaking out on us last minute. You'd never know we didn't all go together to look at any of the pictures. Cooperation really does "make it happen".

Coolest, by far, though, was meeting all of the Taiwanese and Chinese cosplayers who I'd normally never have gotten a chance to meet or get to know. Language gap aside, I think I found a ridiculous soulmate in F. And though the names are all "guchagucha", I'll go home to sort my cards back home and do my best to contact everyone else, too.

Last but not least: the university dance troupe!

As tired as we were ~ they were tired-er. 6 practices in costume, no lunch, no dinner and then clean-up. WOW! And at the end of the day, they took pity on my sorry ass and gave ~me~ their McDonalds takeout. Heroes, all!

If I annoyed you: apologies.
If I forgot your name: apologies.

Can honestly say I hope to see you all again at another event, though.

otsukaresama!

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 09-24-2010 at 09:24 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
CelestialShadow

I didnt pass out as many cards as I wanted to because i had no pockets on my costume to stash them and bending over to take them out of my bag was.....impossible in that costume lol. I`ve got to get better at that or I wont make any friends =(

I ditched the dance show right before it started lol. I stayed for the awards and then was like `Okay this is where it gets ugly.` strifehart and K (eisukes new cosplay name =P) were with me, we took off and sat at saizeriya drinking coffee and eating pizza =P mmmmMMMMM pizza........
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
kiratsukai
culture shocked

We aren't going with "Ace" then?

*dissappointed*

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
DanRSL
repatriated :<

I am also very much in support of "Ace"

I mean, look what comes up in the FIRST page of a "Wild Zero" google image search

ACE!

ps, you two should totally do a Wild Zero/Guitar Wolf cosplay. GAY ZOMBIE LOVE

Last edited by DanRSL : 09-24-2010 at 10:46 AM.
DanRSL is offline   Reply With Quote