Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #16
euterpe42

I used the Colortool spray on my boots to paint them from white to black, and it worked fine for a couple days. After a few coats, the boots were completely black, and I had people comment they couldn't tell the boots used to be white. However, it dries a little brittle, so after about two or three days wearing the boots around, little cracks began to appear in the paint. I'm not sure if this is due to the product, or the fact that they used to be white, or the utter cheapness/decrepitness of my boots..... I'm going to respray them before I use them again for an event. If anyone else is planning to use this product, I think it'd last through a con, but it depends on your devotion/level of perfectionism/comfortability with little cracks.
Uniform 3: 0%
Out of Uniform 1/Invasion of HQ Arc Clothes: 80%
Out of Uniform 2/Ch. 185 Clothes: 40%
Out of Uniform 3/Mystery of Kanda Arc Clothes: 20%

Possible Cosplay Opportunities:

--Anime Expo 2011
--Anime Conji 2011

http://euterpe42.deviantart.com
euterpe42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #17
supermau5

Actually yeah, I wasted a pair of boots this past Halloween by trying shoe polish on suede as well. Lol... definitely don't try this.
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #18
AyameFeitom
spacelion

When I cosplayed Amano Terra (FF6) I also painted my boots. I used Lumiere (sp?) Light Body Fabric Acrylic. If I am not mistaken I found that this stuff was a little more flexible and so worked well on shoes because of that.

Also, it can be heat sealed. I never tested this so I am not sure how much better it makes the durability. I didn't have much trauma after 2 days of a busy con, just very minor cracking such as Fechan had showed. IMO nothing that couldn't be touched up overnight.

I really liked the result I got with the Lumiere. They have the regular kind and then they have a kind that is more opaque for darker fabrics. GL
Unread 01-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
mechafaux
giant robot connoisseur

I painted some faux-leather pumps with Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastics (went from black to blood red) and it really worked.. bonded to the material as if it was red in the first place. Never peeled, cracked, wrinkled, NOTHING! Plus I left the shoes in my garage for a year (extreme heat & cold) and they still look good as new. However, now I'm repurposing them for a vinyl bootcover base.
mechafaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #20
SailorEarth
I have many skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutekawaii View Post
Angelus leather paints are superior for this type of project. They are very flexible and will not crack.
http://turtlefeathers.net/text/angelus/paint.html

And a gallery of painted shoes:
http://turtlefeathers.net/gallery-text/angelus.html
Does this work equally well on synthetic leather? Their gallery looks great but they mention that their paints are made specifically for leather.

Sorry, I know it's been a while since you made this post!
SailorEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #21
Feather_Captors

Hi,

I want to paint a pair of platic/vinyl gogo boots with a liquid latex spray paint. I was thinking Krylon H20 Latex. Would this work well?

Thanks!
Feather_Captors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #22
Anhelitta
Insanely Detail Oriented

This is great!
I am making boots for my husbands cosplay of General Cross for this year and needed to figure out how to put gold on black boots!
Anhelitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
Chu Chi

Just sharing my experience. I used Angelus leather paints to make black boots yellow (Batgirl in my gallery). You have to make sure to deglaze the boots very thoroughly, but you can skip their expensive stuff and just use acetone (you can buy from a beauty supply shop for super cheap. Wear gloves).

The leather paints worked really well and haven't cracked yet even without using a sealer. The main problem is the paint is VERY thin, and it took one MILLION coats, or what felt like it. It dries pretty fast, so I would just watch TV as I painted one boot then the other, repeat, repeat, repeat. Therefore, I would recommend for a light to dark change, but know what you're in for with a dark to light.
Poison Ivy
Chu Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #24
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

I am also a huge fan of Angelus leather paints! It was recommended to me by a friend and has since become my #1 choice for cosplay shoes, if I don't need to make boot covers. I have only used it on faux leather boots and the paint doesn't crack or peel. It's awesome. I don't even do any special prep - I just paint directly on the boots and I don't even use sealer, haha (cheap and lazy!). But despite that, the worst wear and tear I've had is a little visible wear around the toe area where your foot bends, but even then it's not very noticable and can be fixed with just a quick touch up of paint over the area. That damage has only arisen on a pair of boots that I do a lot of moving and posing in, so really, I'd be surprised if there wasn't any wear!
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #25
usagi_chokoreto

Hi, I hope you don't mind me posting because I was actually going to ask a quick question. I have these boots I'm getting for my female version of Lambo from Katekyo Hitman Reborn! cosplay. Of course I couldn't find a sexy pair of boots already with cow prints (not leopard) already on them so I figured I try doing it myself. I haven't bought it yet but I'm trying to get a clue of what I might be able to do. It says its white leather mid calf boot and the materials say: man made material suede finished. I'm not sure sure what this means or what I can use to make the cow spots on it. I had one friend say try stenciling but I'm not even sure I know how to do that. Can anyone give me any advise or suggestions?

Also, here is the link so you can see what the site said the shoe was:
http://www.shoes19.com/Yuki-2-White-...te-Leather.htm
usagi_chokoreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #26
fechan
Team Blasť

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_chokoreto View Post
Hi, I hope you don't mind me posting because I was actually going to ask a quick question. I have these boots I'm getting for my female version of Lambo from Katekyo Hitman Reborn! cosplay. Of course I couldn't find a sexy pair of boots already with cow prints (not leopard) already on them so I figured I try doing it myself. I haven't bought it yet but I'm trying to get a clue of what I might be able to do. It says its white leather mid calf boot and the materials say: man made material suede finished. I'm not sure sure what this means or what I can use to make the cow spots on it. I had one friend say try stenciling but I'm not even sure I know how to do that. Can anyone give me any advise or suggestions?
That means the boots are made of faux/imitation suede. It's much harder to paint than faux leather because of the 'plushy' texture. Unless you get them for free and don't mind giving it a try, I suggest you try to get a pair of boots that isn't in faux or real suede for painting.

By the way, I found this on ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OFFICE-Ladies...em20c163c0 49

**EDIT:
And as for stencilling, in my experience it's easier to just paint the pattern on. With a pattern like cow print because it's so random (not like a filigree pattern with delicate roses, for example) it makes it easier to hand pant it.
If you do go for stencils, I recommend the sticky kind.

Last edited by fechan : 01-22-2012 at 02:55 PM.
fechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
usagi_chokoreto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fechan View Post
That means the boots are made of faux/imitation suede. It's much harder to paint than faux leather because of the 'plushy' texture. Unless you get them for free and don't mind giving it a try, I suggest you try to get a pair of boots that isn't in faux or real suede for painting.

By the way, I found this on ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OFFICE-Ladies...em20c163c0 49

**EDIT:
And as for stencilling, in my experience it's easier to just paint the pattern on. With a pattern like cow print because it's so random (not like a filigree pattern with delicate roses, for example) it makes it easier to hand pant it.
If you do go for stencils, I recommend the sticky kind.
Thank you so much! Right after I posted here my friend said to shop at AC Moore for this hard sticky felt stuff that I could cut the shape out of and put on the boots so I wouldn't have to worry about painting.
usagi_chokoreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
chibireese

I know this is an older thread, however I'm thinking about painting a vinyl cat suit to make shego (from kim possible) suit. I would be using duct tape as well, however I was thinking of painting the areas that "move" (arm/leg) to make it easier to move (less tacky).
I have to cosplay on a pretty tight budget, so I'm looking for something that will look smooth but not cost a fortune. I'm fairly new to cosplay so I could really use your help ^^
Thank you!
chibireese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #29
chibireese

sorry to bug u, but would u advise to use the same paint on leather faux leather pants or "catsuit"? Meaning, does it flex easily. thanks!
chibireese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #30
SilverRing
New to Cosplay

How many bottles of paint did you have to use?
SilverRing is offline   Reply With Quote