Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #31
Gokai_Silver452

So I need silver boots, to complete my Gokai Silver costume.

A few photos to get the idea:

Actual made boot from friends costume:

Boots in-show:

Now my suit is a bit shinier than the suit my friend has, or the one used in-show.

VS

I'm outta luck when it comes to finding the boots I was going to use:

They're apparently discontinued, and the size I need (medium) is near, if not completely impossible to find (and believe me, I've spent three days searching, finding stores that allow me to add them to the cart, process an order.... and then just send refunds when they check their stock status...all that seems to be left is either too small, or too large).

But the white version of those boots, seems to be in-stock various places:

So white must become silver (and the closer it looks to the suit silver, the better!)... how should I go about this?

Angelus Paints has a silver paint, but there aren't any examples in the gallery... so I'm not sure if I should go that route... oooooor perhaps this "Rub n' Buff" might work even better (this photo makes it look quite good... for bookcases)? I'm just not entirely sure it works on faux leather, or any fabric (I've sent an email to the company, asking just that).

Last edited by Gokai_Silver452 : 08-25-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: fixing image tag
Gokai_Silver452 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #32
Phazongrey

I would LOVE your advice on what to do for these shoes. I'm cosplaying Zero Suit Samus from Metroid Other M and I just bought these shoes that I plan to paint blue, but I don't know what kind of paint to use.

They are Truth or Dare by Madonna, and this is all it says about it:
Leather upper
Round-toe cloased booties with exposed outside zipper
1" covered platform, 4-1/10" covered wedge heel
Man-made sole

So I assume the boot is leather and the heel is some kind of plastic or something, so I don't know what that would mean I should use for paint. Would the leather paint destroy the heel? Could I use acrylic paint on it and it be fine, not ruin any leather part or anything?

And sort of advice would be SUPER appreciated. Thank you.

Website for the shoes, if you want a picture:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/t...3D1%26spc%3D42
Phazongrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #33
fechan
Team Blasť

I know that Angelus leather paint works great on synthetic leather. You can check out what my friend and I did with it + tutorial on my cosplay blog: http://www.teamblasecosplay.com/revi...-leather-paint

I used it on the heels which look to be made of the same stuff as the boots you want to paint and it worked fine. Angelus leather paint is very similar to regular acrylic paint so you can assume that if it can be painted safely with acrylic, leather paint will work too.

I hope this helps!

PS: Samus is awesome!!!!!
PPS: Thinking back on it, I think the colour on the heels didn't get as bright as on the synthetic leather (which happened to be how Elizabeth's boots are so it wasn't an issue for me). To counter this you might need to paint more layers or prime the heels with white acrylic paint.

Last edited by fechan : 02-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.
fechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #34
Phazongrey

Yes, Samus IS awesome!!! And maybe, if I remember correctly I think the heel is actually darker than the rest of the shoe, so that might benefit me. But thank you for the tip, I'll definitely look into that.

And thank you so much for the paint info!!! I was at Michael's the other day buying paint for my suit and I was going crazy that I couldn't find anything for my shoes.Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #35
ClumsyCostumery

Anyone have any advice/experience painting rubber boots? I got this pair thinking I could just spray paint it, but I figured I'd come to the forums and check around first. I already have the boots, so no trading in for easily paintable faux leather boots.

Does regular spray paint stick to these bad boys or should I look into Krylon Fusion stuff I've read about on this thread? Thanks for the input!
  3. Be Mr. Incredible
ClumsyCostumery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #36
Phazongrey

I had to return the previous heels, as I almost broke my ankle walking out of my front door. No matter how hard I tried, I cannot walk in five inch heels.
But after hours of searching, I found a new shoe, that is perfect, just not as tall.
It has a shiny leather look to it, and is "all man made material". That would be suede, right?
And can I still use the Angelus paints on it? Or should I use the paints you were using in the first post of this forum?
Unread 06-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #37
kaori1
kaori1

Thanks!
kaori1 is offline   Reply With Quote