Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Blizzard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Sazbi

Need Help! How to make World of Warcraft Armor.

So for the Cataclysm Release for WoW i want to go as a Tier 6 Protection Paladin, but i do not know where to start as far as making the armor. as in what materials i should use. Could anyone point me in the correct direction?
Sazbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
koi-ishly
Dreamer

First having a reference always help, for those have no idea what you're talking about...

Second, have you looked at the tutorials that are all over the forum? There are many different ways to make armor.

We can't help unless there is some direction...
koi-ishly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Sazbi

Heres some Screen Shot Refrences to what im making.

ive read over the tutorials, im just trying to get an idea where people think i should start....im debating between foam and Fiberglass and or plastic, any input would be much appriciated

Last edited by Sazbi : 09-19-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

I would use Wonderflex over Fiberglass. From what I understand, Fiberglass is a difficult product to use and is only recommended for those who know how to use it.

I would check out Kamui's gallery. She has a great armor set that I greatly admire, made from Wonderflex.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2386474/
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
catfetus

I would say start with craft foam. Craft foam and wonderflex are pretty similar in that they are materials you heat and then they become flexible, and they hold their shape when they cool. Wonderflex is stronger, can give you more detailed shapes, and is more expensive. Craft foam is incredibly cheap.

Of course the first step is mental preparation.
Figure out how you want to divide the armor up for construction (gloves, chest piece, shoulders, boots, additional arm and leg armor, etc). It will help to use a model viewer to look at each piece individually instead of all together. Then figure out where you want to start on the construction, if it were me I would pick the most vital pieces first (so shoulders or chest, but that's just my preference).

To start, I would say pattern it out piece by piece (figure out what 2D shapes you will need to cut out of the foam or wonderflex before heating and shaping it in to 3D). You can do this by holding up sheets of paper or foam to your body and drawing the shapes on that.
I wish I could give you more help about how to attach the armor but I've never made full body armor before

Kamui is AMAZING <3 I got to meet her briefly at Blizzcon last year, she does amazing work. I really like her idea of making a wearable velcro gauntlet to attach her actual armor to.

This guy is pretty awesome too http://www.cosplay.com/member/183343 he has helped me out a lot with some basic armor questions.

I just found out today that I might be getting my Cataclysm from Walmart since our local game stores don't have collector's editions I was super excited to wear my new Val'kyr costume to the midnight release, but Walmart doesn't have that.
catfetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Sazbi

well if its a 24hr walmart it WILL be there at 12 am for release, i work for one and this is why im doing it partically so i can be at work in costume and have an excuse :P
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Sazbi

So after weighing the options at hand (fiberglass/wonderflex/craftfoam) ive decided Craftfoam will be the medium i use. Im going to try and keep this thread up-to-date with progress along with pictures and more indepth knowledge on my DA Account http://sazbi.deviantart.com
Unread 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
koi-ishly
Dreamer

If you are someone who had not built armor before, foam is your cheapest and most forgiving material to start with. Even cheaper would be cardboard but I don't think that's what your after. Wonderflex is expensive but amazing from what I've seen and read. I've not worked with it yet, but will soon.
Catfetus said all that I was going to say about how to start. It's ambitious, this armor... You could post your progress if you get stuck, so that people can help you out while your building.
koi-ishly is offline   Reply With Quote