Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #721
JellyfishTamer

Bisexual cosplayer. Aw yes!

Unread 03-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #722
Toxic_Curiosity
Mega Cosplayer of Death

woo! nice to finally find a thread like this... lesbian ya!
Toxic_Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #723
EnvyIsMySin

Yep! I'm bisexual~ c:
EnvyIsMySin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #724
Neon-Heart417

Pansexual. <3
Neon-Heart417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #725
JellyfishTamer

So is this just one of those threads that are like "Oh hey there I'm (Insert sexuality here)" and no one talk about it again? Because it would be awesome to make friends here also!
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #726
hiddenninja30

~~~

Last edited by hiddenninja30 : 07-23-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: hjg
hiddenninja30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #727
Tuor
Wastelander

I myself am straight but my gf who I make stuff for is bisexual. Kinda cool :P
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #728
OtakuQueen
AppleJack

One pansexual and genderfluid person from the sunshiney state of Florida over here

You Laugh At Me Because Im Different, I Laugh At You Becauseyoure all the same

Tumblr>----- nightingalecosplay.tumblr.com
Faythjohnson.tumblr.com
OtakuQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #729
Ilafatyu
That guy

I thought it would be cool to talk about stuff and make friends with the people here, but we were told it was off-topic, so... Yeah. Looks like our conversation is limited to LGBTA discussion, which is lame as hell.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 75%
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #730
Katieasaur
Being Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
I thought it would be cool to talk about stuff and make friends with the people here, but we were told it was off-topic, so... Yeah. Looks like our conversation is limited to LGBTA discussion, which is lame as hell.
agreed

Fem Loki

www.facebook.com/KatieasaurCosplay
Katieasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #731
Toxic_Curiosity
Mega Cosplayer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Tis true.
Toxic_Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #732
Trooper715
Helljumper

It wasn't just the content of the discussion, but also the format I think that made that conversation derail the thread. There were lots of very short, sometimes only 2 word replies, that really were better suited to IMs. There's banter, and then there's banter that starts to kill off the thread.

PM people, trade skype info, etc? There are a lot of tools to talk and get to know people better besides simply rapidly replying to a thread.

Or if you want to discuss something that's LGBT related...how about the awkwardness of making friends, even in LGBT circles? A lot of times you make friends because of shared experiences...I know I got closer to a lot of LGBT friends because of similar issues with coming out, changing friendships, other people's views of them and expectations.

But at the same time, it could also be hard to connect with some people because often times when I went to an LGBT support group, even a specifically transgender one, it could be incredibly hard to connect to other people. While there were some shared experiences, we'd be so vastly different in other ways. I was in the marines for 7-years, and I honestly loved it. There is definitely some aspects of my mindset that made it difficult to connect to some of the younger, fresh-out-of-highschool folks that were at my university's support group. Yeah, we could talk about transgender issues all day I suppose...but there comes a point when you don't want that to be the only part of your identity that you talk about.

So maybe that's part of that issue with this thread. There's a need to be open about who you are, to know you're not alone, and talk about some of the common obstacles we share....but once that moment's passed, what is there to talk about? I don't want to discuss makeout buddies, and I'm sure other people wouldn't want to talk about Halo props.

Edit: And if people did want to talk about those subjects, what aspect of it means it necessarily needs to be LGBT specific?

Even discussing transgender issues can be such a different item from LGB issues that it can be hard to connect. It's often lumped under the same umbrella but it's a decidedly different experience.

@LoyalMarksman You're in LA? Did you happen to go to Wondercon this weekend? I was there in my Halo costume.

I'm always happy to meet other transgender cosplayers just so I can hear more about how people cope and deal with reactions in the cosplay world to transgender individuals. It's still a relatively new concept to many people, and ironically enough, the gender-fluid friendly nature of cons seems to make misgendering more common than outside of cons. I end up using a lot of gender neutral pronouns and just complimenting people on their makeup or costume, which is a safe bet. But it still bugs me to hear people guessing "is that a boy or a girl", even when it's not directed at me, because.....who cares? A lot of people, apparently.

I'm pretty happy how my weekend went though. Not too many misgenderings, even from strangers, and I got better at handling instances where I was misgendered.

It's interesting. My transgender male friend always encourages to just correct people and he's usually pretty blunt about it on his end of things....but I always feel embarassed. Slowly getting better though.

Or we could talk about avocados if people feel that would be a better use of this thread versus creating a new thread dedicated to discussing food or the love of avocados.

Sorry if this sounds too snarky or rambly. It's like, 2am here and I should be going to bed. Introductory threads in general can be kind of tricky. Let's all be friends based off one aspect of our personality!....kind of hard.

At least with the regional seeking cosplayers type threads people can arrange meetups and such. What do we do here? LGBT folks in California or who go to RTX or PAX Prime I'd love to meet....but it's honestly not hard for me to find an LGB person to meet randomly at a con? And while I'd love to meet trans people in order to share support...what would we do at a con meetup? I go to the transgender oriented panels at PAX and it's really nice to see I'm not alone....that feels nice. But once the panel ends everyone just kind of...goes their own way to do their own thing.

I dunno....thinking out loud randomly. I'm going to make myself log off for the night. >_>

Edit:

Maybe if people want to make friends instead of just saying what they are, maybe say what cons they're going to? Maybe that'll fit in more with the theme of 'seeking cosplayers'.

2013:
Went to SacAnime and Katsucon already
Just got back from Wondercon

Planned:
BigWOW! ComicFest
Fanime
RoosterTeeth Expo
San Diego ComicCon
Penny Arcade Expo Prime
?SacnAnime Winter?

Okay, shutting up and going to bed.

Last edited by Trooper715 : 04-01-2013 at 05:04 AM. Reason: more rambling
Trooper715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #733
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I agree on that. I'm fine with having conversation with you guys, but not little replies and SUPER casual conversation that just spams the thread out.

I go to any cons held in Georgia/around Atlanta, personally; I could write out a list but that's really it.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #734
RedeadDie
IMMA ZOMBIE

Rather than just say my sexuality in this thread, I thought I may share the story of how cosplay helped me to be what I truly am.

Ever since I was little, I had a thing for dressing up. For my younger years, I would make my own Halloween costumes or spur of the moment costumes. All of the ones I personally made never were quite gender specific costumes. (One year was just a mime and another a hobo.) I did have the, what some would call it "girly princess days" which I am not ashamed of to mention. When I started to get around nine or ten years old, being in a skirt or doing up my hair made me uncomfortable. I found baggy t-shirts and jeans to satisfy a bit of myself for a time.

After my first convention, I adored all the cosplayers there. More particularly, male character cosplays. At my second convention, my first cosplay was a male character and I had never felt more free or comfortable in my life. To this day all my cosplays (save for one I decided to do last summer) have been male characters. Not only that, all my everyday clothing can be found from the men's department or is unisex clothing. I like the fact I confuse people who try to figure out if I am male or female at times.

Because cosplaying helped me to become a more confident and comfortable person with myself, I was able to open myself up more to my family and friends and eventually come out to them. Not only that, I've been able to have relationships and date people through cosplay. In places like highschool and such it was difficult for me just to even think to ask another woman on a date. With cosplay, it's a great ice-breaker and you already share a great interest if the both of you are cosplayers.

To end this, yes, I am lesbian. Yes, I like to dress like guys inside and outside of cosplay.
~Louis Despatis: Honor Amongst Thieves~
~Elliot March: Clover/Joker/Heart no Kuni no Alice~
RedeadDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #735
Ilafatyu
That guy

Awesome story, Redead. Sounds kind of like mine, minus the dating and relationships. Being comfortable with yourself ftw.

Cons I got to/will go to/have gone to:
- Another Anime Con, Manchester NH
- PortConMaine, Portland ME
- Anime Boston (next year), Boston MA

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 75%
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote