Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-01-2015, 05:17 AM   #1
Nonyvole
Professional Newb

Bad knee, looking for suggestions

Firstly, I know that cutting out/back on sodas/candys/junk will be the source of the biggest change. (It being 9/1, I've moved from soda to seltzer water. Baby steps.)

However, my question is this. I'm looking to get a bit more toned up for SLCC at the end of this month, and my usual exercise options are not available due to injury. I'd normally bike/walk/run/swim, but I injured my knee and cannot bear weight on it for very long or for anything too extreme. Like biking/jogging/swimming. I'm also down from my usual amount of walking due to the pain.

Any ideas/suggestions? I'd like to focus on abdomen, hips, butt, and thighs. I don't have a gym membership, but I do have some basics at home between me and my better half.

Yes, I'm seeing a doctor for this. He didn't have any suggestions, especially since we're only about 90% sure that it's a meniscal tear, not just a bunch of swelling.

Yes, it's frustrating and it makes me very mad that my body won't respond the way that I expect it to. Plus it's adding to my chronic pain. But it's acute, so it's also rather distracting.

Although who knows, I may just scrap my costumes that require showing my abdomen and see if I can't find options that will incorporate a cane or wheelchair.
Mad Hatter - 5% done - Emma Frost - 5% done - Captain Jack Harkness - 5% done - Sandman's Death - 75% done - Resident Evil - wishful thinking - Steampunk Black Widow - 60% done - Nurse - like Schrodinger's Cat. Done and yet not done.
Nonyvole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
micro-babe
Five Feet of POWAH!

I also have a bad knee however it's from dislocating it a while ago and the pain isn't chronic. It comes and goes in varying intensities. My doctors really recommend swimming since it's low impact. Maybe try strokes that involve less legwork? I can't swim so I wouldn't really know. I'm a fan of this core challenge as well. It was made up by Olympic fencer Race Imboden. It's a pretty good addition to my workouts I feel and involve no equipment. If my knee hurts too much, I try to at least do this and some burpees. My cousin also recommended doing yoga. Maybe you can try looking at various fitness youtube channels and ask your doctor about incorporating their routines (that look doable to you) and see what their opinion is. Kinda spitballing here at this point. Obviously I don't know much about your situation since we have different issues and I'm not a licensed medical professional so you might want to talk to your doctor before trying anything out.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
micro-babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Desertfyre

Yoga!! Definitely yoga. You can do it at home. I learned all I did from YT videos. You can go as soft or hard as you wish. And gently stretching the muscles will actually help it. I've had muscle pains and doing some light yoga helps.

Some vids that I can think of that might fit you (might need to tweak as you go):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTZRx453Lyo

You can look through these as well:
https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene/videos (I really like her. She has some good stuff)
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...yoga+bad+knees
Desertfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
12WolfZ
Tiger! Tiger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonyvole View Post
I'd like to focus on abdomen, hips, butt, and thighs. I don't have a gym membership, but I do have some basics at home between me and my better half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonyvole View Post
I'm looking to get a bit more toned up for SLCC at the end of this month, and my usual exercise options are not available due to injury.
I've always felt as though "toning" is one of those words that means nothing. Theoretically, If you gain weight, then drop general weight, all while training (operating under the assumption that the body uses fat storage before muscle for fuel), you can look more aesthetic over time. It seems like training the lower body hard in most ways is out of the question for you, but as weight is lost you should become leaner. I would focus on just losing weight for the time being. The dietary changes you mentioned will probably do that to some degree with or without exercise. But once diet change ceases to further progress, you will add have to add movement somewhere to continue. There are lots of ways to add this component that do not involve running or much leg work. Pick one.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Aferjackcosplayz

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdV...fgPL9mNxnCGgRw

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 10-13-2015 at 10:33 PM.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2015, 01:12 AM   #5
FNS
Ours is the Fury

Naturally you should check with your doctor, but in general, stretching is extremely good for you, and can help you bounce back after injury. Many pools have "walking lanes" and if swimming or normal walking is too much, perhaps walking in a pool will help give you some of the low impact exercise you need.

Check out my blog at flissofthenorthstar.blogspot.com
Come hang out and play some games at twitch.tv/flissofthenorthstar
FNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2015, 01:54 AM   #6
trinityangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12WolfZ View Post
I've always felt as though "toning" is one of those words that means nothing. Theoretically, If you gain weight, then drop general weight, all while training (operating under the assumption that the body uses fat storage before muscle for fuel), you can look more aesthetic over time. It seems like training the lower body hard in most ways is out of the question for you, but as weight is lost you should become leaner. I would focus on just losing weight for the time being. The dietary changes you mentioned will probably do that to some degree with or without exercise. But once diet change ceases to further progress, you will add have to add movement somewhere to continue. There are lots of ways to add this component that do not involve running or much leg work. Pick one.
You are right, toning is just a buzzword,but for most people it means having enough muscle to show through at a lower body fat level (which is a mouthful to say so we say toning instead).

So here's the deal. Losing weight comes down to diet. You must be eating less than you burn to lose weight. So that is the major contender here.

HOWEVER, with an injury, you need proper calories to heal. I would ask your doc if he could refer you to a physical therapist or sports med doctor to strengthen/work with the knee. That would be best case scenario (providing its not a surgical issue)

Worst case scenario is you need to get the diet dialed in. You need to decide if you want to do baby steps and see a little change... or dial the diet in tight and see more changes.

Cutting out sodas and candy etc will help, but without being able to move, its going to limit some things.

Work to the butt, hips, thighs is completely out. The knee is pretty critical to working anything lower body.

What you can do is anything that allows you to sit or lie down or does not require the need for the knee to move. So sitting dumbbell curls, sitting over head presses, sitting tricep extensions, situps, romanian twists, bench dips, even pull ups or body rows.... anything you can do seated and working the upper body would help. If you dont have dumbbells at home, you can put books in pillow cases, use canned foods, or water in milk jugs/bottles. lots of work arounds.
I personally would not suggest yoga unless it is sitting poses, and even then, those that rotate the knee may not be suitable. obviously if anything causes pain... do not do it.

This is not medical advice, and you should seek out your doc before beginning any exercise routine for approval to your specific situation.
trinityangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #7
Nonyvole
Professional Newb

True. I also buy into the saying that what you eat makes you look good in your clothes, what you do makes you look good out of them...and that 80% of all THAT is eating correctly.

I'm already working on cutting out the massive amounts of sugar I was ingesting, mostly in soda and candy form, and increasing the amount of plain water (okay, with some lemon) to an amount that is actually healthy. Especially for somebody living in a near desert...although I haven't gone back to work since that change. I work the overnight shift and tend to be on the move quite a bit.

And just as a loose follow-up, I ended up having surgery on my knee. For the con in question, I tried doing a costume that I tossed together, but ended up going in street clothes for most of the time. So right now the only exercise I'm getting is from PT, but after that I'm going to go back to real exercise.

thanks.
Mad Hatter - 5% done - Emma Frost - 5% done - Captain Jack Harkness - 5% done - Sandman's Death - 75% done - Resident Evil - wishful thinking - Steampunk Black Widow - 60% done - Nurse - like Schrodinger's Cat. Done and yet not done.
Nonyvole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #8
Anbu Neko
Certified Tsundere

I have issues with my knees so I try to avoid running/high impact sports as well. Are you able to use an elliptical? Those are very low impact and you can use them to tackle different parts of your lower body (butt, thighs, calves, etc.). You could also try pilates (I follow videos on the Blogilates Youtube channel). Swimming would also be a great option as well.

Ultimately, though, nothing can beat a good, clean diet!
Kongou - Kantai Collection (90% - Altering stockings/boots)
Minami Kotori ~ Cheerleader Ver. (80% - Costume touch ups; wig styling)
Anbu Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #9
AlfredtheButler

I have bad knee's from playing football/soccer. I find swimming to be a great exercise for the upper body I just don't kick my legs and swim using my arms to pull the weight of the rest of me. Of course your PT can tell you works best for you. Also stretching in water helps reduce the weight on the joints as it's supported by the water.
AlfredtheButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #10
DaynaPapaya

Stretching is good, and if you go to a sporting goods store, maybe look at some of the knee braces they have? I remember I used to wear one all the time when I played softball because I always had a problem with one knee, and the brace gave extra support for when I exercised.
DaynaPapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #11
thealins

Walking, not running. And do not get your knees cold.

Like me on FB: https://www.facebook.com/procostume/
My Own Website: http://www.alicestyless.com/
thealins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 02:19 AM   #12
micro-babe
Five Feet of POWAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynaPapaya View Post
Stretching is good, and if you go to a sporting goods store, maybe look at some of the knee braces they have? I remember I used to wear one all the time when I played softball because I always had a problem with one knee, and the brace gave extra support for when I exercised.
If anyone decides to go with wearing a brace (my doctor recommended that i at least have one just in case and I bring mine to every con) I highly recommend checking out ACE knee braces next time you're in Target. I'm not sure what mine is exactly labeled but it has a three strap system, an open circle on the knee cap, and some boning on the sides for support. It's HELLA supportive and has gotten me through many cons, runs, and even entire fencing tournaments. Plus the fact that it's adjustable means that you don't have to worry about it being too tight on your thighs, which is a huge issue I've had with previous knee braces I've had. It can also be worn under clothes or over if it's too bulky to be worn underneath.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
micro-babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 02:51 AM   #13
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

this post was necro'd, please look at timestamps

i wouldnt bother to say anything had the necro been to get advice on the same issue
(although a new thread should be created instead)

but it was necroed to offer advice into a old thread, to someone
whom has probably goten the advise they needed
and hasnt looked into this since thier last post
which is 3 days before the last post b4 necro
and necro was 5m 10days later
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote