Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
xTheCrazedOnex
All Hail Blow Matress

Motivation?

Hey, so I really want to loose weight, however my depression is just killing me and I have zero motivation to do anything. I really want to, but seriously zero motivation. Any suggestions?

Planned
Merida: Brave- 60%
Godoka: PMMM- 5%
Daenerys: GoT- 10%
Anna: Frozen- 10%
Ariel: Little Mermaid- 10%

Retired Cosplays
Loki: Party Ver.
England/Arthur Kirkland
Dave Strider: Homestuck
Katara: ATLA
Thor
Elsa (Selling~)
xTheCrazedOnex is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
nevershutsupkat
the morbid optimist

Find a local friend to work out with you or maybe join a group? I just started a group on FB for fitness and cosplay if you'd like to join!

| edward elric [fullmetal alchemist] 0% | duo maxwell [gundam wing] 50% |
| barbara gordon: batgirl [new 52] 0% | chandra nalaar [magic the gathering] 10% |

| princess ariel's pink gown [the little mermaid] (planning) |
| sir alanna of pirate's swoop and olau [the song of the lioness series] (planning) |

"you should let yourself go over the edge every once in a while & enjoy your life"
-duo maxwell-
nevershutsupkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Dagen
Sword Mistress

Check out this thread
Dagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
AUR
Amateur Photographer

I don't know if this works (different sex), but whenever I watch a boxing / fighting movie or a video of a streetfight, it gets me pretty pumped to go running or something.

You can also look into MMA if you want to be able to kick any guys ass.
AUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
nevershutsupkat
the morbid optimist

My group on FB is www.facebook.com/groups/cosplayfitness/

Feel free to join!!

| edward elric [fullmetal alchemist] 0% | duo maxwell [gundam wing] 50% |
| barbara gordon: batgirl [new 52] 0% | chandra nalaar [magic the gathering] 10% |

| princess ariel's pink gown [the little mermaid] (planning) |
| sir alanna of pirate's swoop and olau [the song of the lioness series] (planning) |

"you should let yourself go over the edge every once in a while & enjoy your life"
-duo maxwell-
nevershutsupkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
CJohn

Figure out a cosplay that requires a slender figure, and work towards being able to wear it.

Though honestly you don't look like you need it.

I have a few motivations for myself-I really want a kilt, but those require exact measurements, so I'm waiting till I'm at a healthier level of fat. I really want a septum piercing, and I'm not letting myself do that till I've lost fat. And I plan on going (sort of)shirtless to the Renaissance Festival as an earthbender. Find something you really want to do that'll reward you for it.
CJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

you can download some audiobooks and make sure that you only listen to them while running.
frozen- elsa 0% thinking
asuka (neon genesis evangeleon) 20%
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Annie (attack on titan) 80% procrastinating/making 3d gear
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
felix_layne
Commissioner

pick a body goal
felix_layne is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Kagetoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_layne View Post
pick a body goal
Simplistic, but very powerful tool... Just imagine what your body will look like in a month or so if you stay dedicated. Plus being healthy is incredibly good for your body!
Kagetoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
icey-god

Do it for the cosplay!
icey-god is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
Blooregard

There's not much you can do for this unless you realise that you must be stern with yourself and build your own confidence from within. I don't know anything about dealing with depression really but a thing to note is that you have the power to change yourself, many people just stay in their head too much.

If it's confidence based, just remember that in the gym no one is judging you. This mentality will murder your confidence and resolve. I'm guilty of dozing off and staring around the gym absent mindedly during sets of exercises. So basically you just need to get out of your own head, breath deeply and tell yourself again and again what you want from yourself.. and believe it!

It's very hard to explain this and I think I'm running on but it's a state of mind to be behind yourself and believe in your own power to change. When you exercise you are on top of a plateau running, and slowly the plateau is crumbling behind you. So the more you exercise the further along the cliff you make it (and away from the collapsing plateau behind you), endorphins will boost your confidence. Problem with this analogy is : If you stop running the cliff will crumble beneath you! and you will be in a rut. It's a bad habit to skip an exercise, this is why having a gym partner is fun! You don't want your friend to fall and they won't want you to.
Blooregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #12
Shattered
Do'er of things

This might come across as a bit of a controversial opinion, but I've found that self-hate is a fairly powerful motivator.

I've been where you are, the self-loathing, the depression, not wanting to do anything, and bemoaning that the weight will never come off. I go in to the gym hating what kind of person I am and come out with a new PR and feeling great from the workout. Now I just kind of workout, but when I first started getting back in to fitness it was my own hatred of what I had become that fueled many a workout.
Shattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #13
Floating World

Some people get very discouraged by self-hate, while others are very motivated by it.

Personally, I'm more motivated by positive reinforcement. If I find that I'm good at something, I'm more inclined to want to do it ALL THE TIME.

If the accountability of a workout group isn't helping, and self-loathing isn't helping, and picking a cosplay goal isn't helping, maybe you need to shift your focus from long-term results to how you feel in the moment you are doing the exercise. If you find something you have fun doing, something that gives you positive reinforcement you will want more and more, you may be inclined to stick with it.

If you can join a gym that has a lot of different kinds of classes you can try, you might find your niche. Or, if that is cost prohibitive, there are tons of different kinds of workouts on youtube you can follow at home.
"... Living only for the moment, turning our full attention to the pleasures of the moon, the snow, the cherry blossoms and the maple leaves; singing songs, drinking wine, diverting ourselves in just floating, floating; ... refusing to be disheartened, like a gourd floating along with the river current: this is what we call the floating world..." Asai Ryoi, c. 1661
Floating World is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #14
Dragnis

Maybe hire a fitness instructor? A good one helps you with motivation and having someone who is waiting for you to get there. Sort of makes you want to show up; however, if you don't have the money to do this. Than reform your thoughts about it.

Reforming your thoughts about it, like just think of it at a day at a time. Just go in only for an hour. Hey it is only 1/24th of your day. No, big deal. When you go there "be there". Focus on your exercising and not people around you or what you got to do that day, week, month, etc. Just focus on yourself and your workout. It takes time away from why you are being depressing about; job, family, life? Only thinking of being there and in the moment. Being there: doing something positive for yourself, doing something for YOU, doing something to take you away from everything and you can add on to the list. Think of it this way and you won't think of it as work or negative thing to do, and this will help make a life change and enjoy the workout. Hope this helps
Dragnis is offline   Reply With Quote