Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 06-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
Silver530

Question How to "Stay Determined" - Your story

Many of us have been there. Aiming to lose weight or get in shape for a cosplay or to feel good.
The first week or two we are motivated, feeling the burn.
The first month, it's going ok, but at some point something happens and your drive has gone, and while you might not be losing progress, you aren't making any more.

Who can share their story of how they got their determination, drive, motivation back, or how they keep going.

I hope readers can be inspired by other's revivals and successes and maybe try those methods for themselves

Unread 06-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Colettel04
Novice Cosplayer

When you've been fat most of your young life you don't notice things; things like if you were at a healthier weight you could have participated in the group activity, the friends you could have made if you were able to keep up with the crowd and the opportunities lost because of your unhealthy lifestyle.

As I grew into an adult I was pretty well into accepting that I would always be fat, never able to wear anything smaller than a 16 in women's clothing, forever doomed to have what looked like a beer gut (even thought I never drank the nasty stuff), and generally being depressed all the time.

It all changed when I started my BA that I started to lose weight. Traipsing across the large campus on bike in order to make it to the next class, eating most of my foods raw because I didn't have time to cook, and eating as cheaply as I could to make ends meet did a toll on me-so much that I went from 178 lbs. to 130lbs. within 9 months of my enrollment.

I didn't notice that I was losing the weight at first but once I went back home the results were hard to ignore.

My parents pulled out a picture of me before I went to college and took one of me now, the difference was unbelievable.

I felt better.

I wasn't tired all the time, I can fit cuter clothes, I'm not as depressed as I used to be and I have more energy.
I'm able to do things that I haven't been able to do since I was a kid (7) but now that I dropped the weight I knew that I could in fact be healthy and get the body I wanted.

Yes, there are days that I workout and feel like I'm not getting anywhere as my weight fluctuates between 107-110 lbs. I really want to be at 100 for a six pack) but I pull out those old photos of me to tell myself that yes I can get to where I want to be.

It's not going to happen overnight but I know that as long as I don't stop I can get there.
Never stop working out because if you keep going you WILL get results.

Remember:
It takes a month before you can see any results,
It takes two months before you family or friends will see them,
and it takes 3 months for the world to catch up.
Unread 06-18-2016, 11:33 PM   #3
Silver530

Colettel04 Thanks for sharing. You'll definitely get your six pack. Hope you'll share your results and cosplay in the future ^^
Unread 07-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
anlasul

I've come to use the term "fat kid" when I talk about my appearance as I grew up. I liked to eat a lot of really junky food, and more often than not I ate because I was bored rather than hungry. I was involved with sports but didn't like any of them enough to keep doing it as a means of getting in shape; played for the season and that was that. It wasn't until 9th grade that I was tired of feeling like I was the fat one in my group of friends (most, if not all of my core group, had been blessed with lightning metabolisms). I finally started sticking to a sport I loved (tae kwon do), took more walks, and cleaned up my eating habits.

A lot of people think you have to run to get in shape, but I didn't start running until college. I'd slip every now and then, but let me tell you: if you think you can completely cut out all the bad food in your life, you're gonna relapse and have a hard time. I allow myself a treat yo'self day so I can stay sane.

Keeping it up is definitely hard, but I like to feel good about myself and show off a little ;D So I don't worry about immediate results, which gets hard, but looking for instant improvement just isn't doable if you want actual results so I try to keep in check with that and remind myself to be realistic. I'm also quietly super competitive so out of my friends, I try to see if I can be the best. I also recently got a FitBit and feel bad if I stay in bed all day, hahaha
anlasul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Silver530

Anlasul. Thank you for sharing your story. I know I have to stop looking for instant results. It is along hard road ^^
Unread 07-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #6
Nebbles
Aspiring Cosplayer

I just started exercising, and I'm awfully lazy at keeping up things, but I've been trying my best to keep up with it. I want to stay healthy and benefit my body later in life. I want to look good, and feel good. I try to make exercising fun too by making a fun workout playlist, or going to the gym with someone. Having someone to workout with too might help, as that friend could help you feel motivated as well.
Nebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
Silver530

Thanks for sharing Nebbles. Working out with someone to encourage you is a great way to stay motivated.
Unread 07-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #8
ShadowLizardon

Since a few days, I'm using Pokemon Go.
You have to run 2 or 5 kilometres to hatch the eggs and visit the stops.
It's kinda cool to know: Now, I have been running 2 km and you get a present for your workout. ^^

Also, fitting clothes and cosplays are also a pleasure to keep me motivated.

Last edited by ShadowLizardon : 07-13-2016 at 05:59 PM.
ShadowLizardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #9
warxmachine
JackOfAllTradesx11

I try to keep a simple and straight forward mindset.

I just focus on the goal (I have a certain physique I want to achieve and will continue to work towards it-if I attain it I'll work to maintain it) and eliminate everything that gets in the way. I think once you really understand and focus on having that mindset, you would naturally try your best to stay on track at all times and it's pretty addicting. When I get off track (whether it's eating too much of what I shouldn't or not being physically active enough for example) I just tell myself to get back on track starting "now" and take action the next chance I get (the next meal I'd eat something real healthy or the next hour I'm free, I'll do a work out no matter where I'm at). It does get hard sometimes and it can get real lonely. None of my friends want to join me even though I could get them into the gym for free. I just remind myself of my goal and continue working towards it.
Unread 07-14-2016, 04:17 AM   #10
sad.kino

Last edited by sad.kino : 07-22-2016 at 07:06 PM.
sad.kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2016, 10:52 PM   #11
Silver530

ShadowLizardon, Pokemon Go is definitely getting people out there and working out. Who'd have thought this is where pokemon would "go".

Warxmachine you have a lot of determination to keep pushing forwards like that. I take a lot longer to rebuild my motivation when I fail. I hope to be as determined.

sad.kino it must have been tough to share your photos and your progress, thank you for doing so. Keep working hard towards who you want to be.
Unread 07-21-2016, 02:43 PM   #12
Nebbles
Aspiring Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLizardon View Post
Since a few days, I'm using Pokemon Go.
You have to run 2 or 5 kilometres to hatch the eggs and visit the stops.
It's kinda cool to know: Now, I have been running 2 km and you get a present for your workout. ^^

Also, fitting clothes and cosplays are also a pleasure to keep me motivated.
Hey, I'm using Pokemon Go too! Don't forget the 10km eggs - all of them are great motivators. I wanna hatch my eggs, hit Pokestops, catch mons etc. and it's been getting me outside constantly. It's a lot of fun with friends, too! You and your friends exercise, hang out, and get Pokemon!
Nebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
SayaUchiha
Homemade Cosplay

I'm a mother of three beautiful babies and even before my first daughter, I was overweight. I had awesome friends as a kid but I would look at them and feel like an outcast cuz I was overweight compared to them.

As I got older, I tried everything from the current fab diet pill to the fab diets and blah blah blah. Nothing was really working. Just recently, just out of nowhere I thought to myself, you know, you are Sakura Haruno. You are strong. You are beautiful. You can do this.

So, I bought healthy meals. I did research. I bought some vitamins. Cut soda totally out of my diet and drink water and green tea. I downloaded an app called S Health that is super useful. I have noticed a huge difference compared to the beginning of July to now.

Lately, I have felt unmotivated but that's when i decided to make motivational posters for me that now adorn my house. Some in the kitchen, the living room, bathroom, and our bedroom. Hell, there's two taped to my ceiling above the bed so I can see those every morning.

I'm also doing it for my kids and fiancee. I wanna be able to live a full life with them. I wanna be able to steal my fiancee's hoodie and be picked up by her. <3

My words of advice are as follows. Don't quit. Do it because they said you couldn't. It takes 4 weeks for you to notice. 8 weeks for your friends. 12 weeks for the rest of the world. You got this.
SayaUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #14
Silver530

SayaUchiha, thank you for sharing. Imaging you are someone else sounds like a great way to get motivated. Motivational posters are a cool idea too. And those are some great words to get fit by "Do it because they said you couldn't"
Unread 09-06-2016, 04:12 AM   #15
Cosplay Prince
Cosplay Filmmaker

I try to think of my current diet like a game and make it fun, while also imagining the projects that I'm planning when I reach my goals.

I make time to go exploring for new foods that can fit within my calorie restrictions every week, and I'm finding new treats here and there. Flavored seltzer was a particularly amazing find, and different flavors are not necessarily located in the same area, even within the same brand.

CURRENTLY SETTING UP TO LAUNCH IN OCTOBER 2016
Cosplay Prince is offline   Reply With Quote