Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 08-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Is there any way to lose weight in certain areas?

Or is it just luck? I really need thinner/skinnier legs. So I'm looking for some advice or tips on how to do that. Maybe some exercises or diets. I'm not sure which would help with my issue.

Next cosplays:
??????
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
BoydRA
Witch of the Mildsauce

It isn't really possible; you will lose fat depending on where your body decides. For instance, if you start running, your legs will become stronger but you may not see them get smaller.

The best way is to get a full body workout going, cardio, eat a healthy diet. BUT: you CAN isolate muscles you want to strengthen. Doing leg exercises (there are so many) will help strengthen them, although you may not notice the weight dropping from that area immediately, whatsoever. You may lose some in your stomach or your arms first, depending.

Instead of losing fat, think about getting stronger. Working muscles will burn fat, yes, but the only way to actually lose weight in a particular area is to aim for strengthening/building muscle in that area. Losing fat in that area, and only in that area, is never guaranteed.

Considering:
Fire Emblem characters
Dynasty Warriors- Yu Meiren

Going to:
Youmacon!
BoydRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
the only way to actually lose weight in a particular area is to aim for strengthening/building muscle in that area.
I agree with most of your post except this, which contradicts the message of the rest of your post. There is indeed no way to actually lose fat from a particular, targeted area. Your body carries fat in certain places. This is different depending on the person. It is genetic and cannot be helped.

There are people on these forums, for instance, that say stuff like "under 20% bf for a female means you will have a six-pack." LOL no, only if your genetics dictate that you don't carry any fat in your midsection. I'm at 18% (at 137) and have been lower than that and have never had a six-pack or remotely visible abs.

Don't worry about body parts. Worry about overall fitness. Make sure you get at least seven hours of sleep per night and drink lots of water. Cut out as many processed foods and simple carbohydrates as possible (complex carbohydrates like vegetables are fine, however). Do strength training and lift as heavy as you possibly can without sacrificing good form.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
Don't worry about body parts. Worry about overall fitness.
That's actually why I want thinner legs. I'm on a varsity sports team and we run a lot. I can't have my thighs rubbing like they do because it hurts. I figure the running would be easier if it weren't for that.
I guess it would be too good to be true though if you really could control where you lose weight. I'll just hope for the best for now until school starts and I can use the fitness center. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Next cosplays:
??????
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
belligerent
Viking Metal

See if you're allowed to wear compression shorts under your uniform. That could be a short-term solution...
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
Lustyyxo

You cant spot shed.

Fat goes in = body decides/hormones decides where it goes = pot luck when losing weight.

Try doing cardio and special exercises aimed at toning the muscles in that area, and you will see results, but remember you will lose some weight everywhere else. A lot of women say they lose their chest when extreme dieting or losing weight, but I kept mine. Hormones dictate where you put your fat, so you can't personally choose where you lose the fat. Some people are just more naturally set to store weight in areas, like curvy women tend to store it more in the butt, and lower areas, but some women are top-heavy.

In Progress cosplays: Heartseeker Ashe (LoL) - Pattern Made. Harley Quinn (Burlesque) - 20%

I take cosplay commissions :3
Lustyyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
Fei-Hung

Do not feel that if you gain muscle you will not lose weight. In fact you will metabolize the most body fat and ultimately lose it by producing muscle.

It is also not the case that if you train with weights you will bulk up quickly. It is actually a committed endeavor to "bulk up" and requires a focused approach.

After all, all the Lindsay Lohan's and Ashley Bensen's train in weights and they are not exactly body builders are they?

Unfortunately area specific fat loss is a myth but toning certain regions can create that effect in a surprisingly effective way.

https://twitter.com/NinjaSaizo

Come network with us about cosplay and more on Twitter and Youtube.
Fei-Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
BlindJustice

you cannot spot-reduce fat. your body burns fat. unfortunately, the last bit of fat to be burnt is the lower abdominals.
Unread 09-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Ikuzo Jordan
Clothes were made to wear

Exclamation

Run, bike, and do high repetitions/sets (at least 3-5 sets of 12-15) of light leg weight-lifting [leg/calf raise, squats, deadlifts, lunges, kickbacks, leg press, etc.]. Would help going to a gym with someone who knows what they're doing but just use weights relatively light for you so that you can do lots of reps.

Dieting makes a diff. too. Not only what you eat but how often. Smaller meals more frequently (not getting stuffed.

basically, if you want to lose weight/speed-up your metabolism and burn fat:

-constant [healthy] snacking; i.e. a salad and piece of chicken, raw fruits & veggies, oatmeal/cereal, small protein/breakfast bars, etc.

^is better than less often consumed, larger, heavy meals; i.e. burgers & fries, spaghetti and meatballs, bacon and eggs, etc.]

Vice-versa if you wish to enlarge [heavy weights, high carbs, more fats].