Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 10-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
Inksie

Is the "military diet" worth it?

Hi, everyone! I've been trying to lose weight for a while since I regained a lot of it over the summer. Lately I've cut out almost all of my snacking and juices (opting for water instead) and have tried to limit my calorie intake to just a little over 1,000 a day. Since I walk or bike to almost all of my college classes, I get at least 1 hr of exercise every day. I'm female, 4'11", and currently weigh somewhere between 152 and 155 lbs (it's been fluctuating). I would like to get down to at least 140 lbs before April, but so far I've been losing weight slowly or seem to be stuck between the weights I just listed.

My roommate suggested the military diet (http://themilitarydiet.com/military-diet-plan/) which I would be willing to try if I could find some vegetarian-friendly substitutes for the hotdogs, beef, and fish. It looks pretty harsh, though, and I don't know if this sounds like a healthy way to lose weight. Still, my roommate said that it has worked for her in the past. What do you guys think? What has worked for you?
Inksie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
DanArt

So I read up on the "diet". It just seems like a way for people training in the military to moderate their weight before being weighed in. However you would have to be healthy ( be able to lift your self up ) to be on this diet.

IDK about diet a to z but the main priority is.

A. Input less and burn more energy. When you store protein and carbs ( sugar ) that your body
does not use it is stored as fat ( the kind you start to see ). Fat is reserved energy ( like say if you was homeless and starved 24/7.

B. Do not in take any processed sugars. Meaning anything that is refined. All it does is makes it easier for your body to get from Sugars to fat more faster. Your body has to burn calories to process the food ( whatever it is called in biology ) in order to access the material. So make it harder for your body to move into fat.

C. Any form of exercise is doable. Take Bailey ( any dancing for that matter ) or swimming. The point is that you need to burn more then intake less.

D. Look all these diets are just removing this and that from your system. Why? Because your body is hunting for the needed material and deciding what to do with it.

Point being is that your doing something that is working stick to it and then add on to it. What I did was use the lemon diet, run/walk long distances ( 2-3 hours to college ), and I will admit I would break down and just cheat. But being trapped in a room with a diabetic for three years did not help me at all.

Last edited by DanArt : 10-09-2016 at 03:03 PM.
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
chupachan

I've heard of the military diet before but hadn't looked at it until now and....it makes zero sense. Canned tuna and vanilla ice cream are just....not good for you in any capacity, haha. If you wanna go for something a little on the non-traditional side, I would recommend something like JUDDD/Every Other Day Diet/Intermittent Fasting OR Potato Hack. My favorite of these is the Potato Hack, because while you are doing it you are forced into eating healthy. The other diets are scientifically sound (you should be able to find study and methods online pretty easily) but they give you total freedom of what you eat...they only manipulate how much or how often you eat.
Basically, there are a lot of "harsh" diets out there can help you drop some pounds, and it might be best to try a few and see what works for you. Most of these are not "one size fits all," so they might work for a lot of people but now work for you in particular.
A lot of people will recommend you change your eating and lifestyle habits instead of "dieting" which is good advice! But sometimes you need a little kick to get things moving or to lose the last few pounds.
I also HIGHLY recommend doing some purposeful exercise. Walking and biking is great, but you should also set aside some time to specifically workout with intensity. Even if it's only 20 minutes a day, you should challenge your body to stimulate change.
If you need help finding any info on any of these things let me know and I can point you in the right direction Good luck!
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
Dronzin

Chupa and Danart have both offered very good information for your situation. That diet you linked I'd say isn't worth its salt. You seem to be on a good track where you are. Fitness is a slow thing that is best gained over time.

If I had anything to offer, I'd like to just reinforce the intermittent fasting as well as some form of intense exercise for the day. That intense exercise can be anything, but it needs to be something more than just walking and biking. The exercise can be put up into one lump sum of time like 40 minutes to an hour, or spread out over the day for 20 minute periods. That will ensure your body's metabolic rate holds a higher average throughout the day.
Dronzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2016, 01:14 AM   #5
Fei-Hung

Cool. I am vegetarian as well.

I am always dubious of any diet.

I always find its good to not censor what I do eat. A diet can make me feel like Im getting off track or betraying my fitness gaols if I indulge in certain foods when that may not even be the case.

I prefer to just fill up on fruits and veggies so that I am less likely to eat much junky foods. The more I do this the more I just crave fruit and veggies. Last night however I ate a bag of lays chips some macaroons and a ton of fried noodles and tofu but it was awesome :]

https://twitter.com/NinjaSaizo

Come network with us about cosplay and more on Twitter and Youtube.
Fei-Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
Frack1337

I read 1,000 calories and I nearly fainted. No, No, No. What are you trying to do, destroy your body? Eat right, eat cleaner, but never ever starve yourself to that level. No, just no. Nooooooooooooooooo. Look up the keto, mediterrean and other diets if you want to lose weight. They have vegetarian options too (though it is tougher). Just please start eating more pronto!
Frack1337 is offline   Reply With Quote