Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 11-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
_Allegretto_

Healthy Snacks

Hello everyone I hope everyone is doing great!

I'm currently planning for a con in May and July and I was wondering what kind of healthy snacks should I bring? I dont want to bring chips and soda and frozen foods. They make me feel bleh.

There are fast food restaurants around the hotel area and small restaurants as well. I know if I begin to eat fast food I'll be feeling off for the rest of the day. I was wondering what kind of snacks do you bring? Both refrigerated and unrefrigerated?

What kind of recipes do you guys have? Sweet? Spicy?

Link (Twilight Princess) 34%
Dipper (Gravity Falls) 25%

~~~~Anime Midwest 2015~~~~

Jazz (Eternal Sonata) 20%

"Go in strong, don't hold anything back!"--Jazz
_Allegretto_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
RyuNekoArtz
RyuNeko

If you have someone with you that isn't cosplaying maybe they can carry a small lunch box for you. Anyway, baby carrots are good to munch on. They're small and tasty. Apples are great because they supply you with "good" sugars and can be filling. Grapes are good to munch on as well, sweet and juicy. PB&J sandwiches on whole wheat grain bread.

If you feel you have to eat at a fast food joint try sticking to the grilled chicken sandwiches. They are healthier than than the burgers. Always ask for extra or fresh lettuce or tomatoes (or whatever comes on the sandwich).

Granola bars are easy to carry. Ones with mixed fruit in them is better.

I hope this helps you figure out what you need. ;-)
RyuNekoArtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
kandell

Fresh fruit or veggies, granola or protein bars, beef jerky. Definitely bottled water.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
mathilda

Fill tupperware with cutted fruits (apples, banana,kiwi, melon, whatever you like...i'd not take things that get easily mushed and look disgusting afterwards) or vegetables (cucumber and carrots for example) .
high quality sausages (ask your favorite butcher about it) or cooked or dried meat is great to take away the cravings for junkfood.
rice cookies for your sweet craving.
A bottle of water, so you don't have to buy softdrinks (expensive, unhealthy and don't help against thirst).

A thermos flask with hot soup is great during spring, winter and autumn ...especially when you wear a thin cos.
Unread 11-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Aennedry

A good homemade trail mix is something I like. Premix always has so much sodium. As mentioned before, bottled water. Some non-squishy fresh fruit and veggies. I am also addicted to dried apples when on trips, and grapes.
=^._.^=
Aennedry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
Syon

Why cut fruits? Take a banana, an apple or else as a whole. They come with their own natural package, are still fresh when you eat them and in case of apples the healthy stuff mostly sits directly beneat the skin. For drinking water is of course the Nr. 1 choice, but if you are like me and prefer to have some sort of taste in your mouth, bring tea with you or look for natural juice that contain no extra sugar source. A bit pricy but good if you have not much space: Smoothies (again, check for extra sugar or make your own at home, if you have the needed equipment).

And if you can't bring everything with you to the con from home: Look for supermarkets instead of eating at restaurants. Saves you money and keeps you away from too much Fast Food.

And if you really need the advantages of a fast food restaurant, I would suggest looking for subway. They have a pretty decent choice of options and if you don't go for cookies, chips and soda, you have as much control as possible over the amount of calories, fat and sugar you consume.

Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

I'm surprised no one's mentioned nuts and seeds yet. Try things like almonds and walnuts. Almonds are a good source of protein, so a handful can help you stay satisfied. Walnuts are high in omega-3's and antioxidants.

Things like pumpkin seeds, turkey or beef jerky, hard boiled eggs (if you have somewhere to keep them) and KIND bars are also snacks that are portable as well as high in protein and nutritional values. If you like it, chocolate milk is also a good thing to keep on hand (think of the single serving ones, like Horizon Organic or similar), as it can provide a boost of energy and protein after a long convention day...and doesn't need to be refrigerated due to its' packaging.

I've found keeping a refillable water bottle can come in handy too, as it's easy to accidentally throw away or recycle the plastic bottles before you can refill them...(just be sure to wash it out every so often if you do take one.)

Hopefully this helps, I know it can be tough to keep eating healthy at conventions.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
diva19

For me , alot of water is enough.. :lol:
diva19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Emmejo

Are you staying in a hotel? If so, find out what in-room food prep items they have so you can plan what you bring. For example, at my last con I brought instant oatmeal packets and protein powder for a filling, fast breakfast. I just heated the water in the coffeemaker and make the oatmeal in a paper cup.
Emmejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #10
ShadowWarrior
User not found

My favorite I have found is white chocolate macadamia clif bars.
ShadowWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote