Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
Tattle-Kill

Gaining strength for convention

Weird title, I know, forgive me, it's been a long day at work and my creativity is slim to nil.

So this year for NYCC, I have a slightly heavier costume then last year. It's fine walking around the house in for a few hours. And I feel like I'll be okay at the con (can just take it off and rest if I get overly tired).

But then, this year is also different in that I am going two days (Fri and Sat) instead of just one. And I am worried that wearing this costume two days in a row might really be my un-doing.

Is there any way I could prepare physically for wearing such a heavy costume two days in a row?

Unread 09-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
lemuries

What about putting soup cans in a backpack and a fanny pack (worn frontwise) and wear them around all day?
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
Vendetta6

^Not sure if you're being serious here, lemuries.
For you, Tattle, I would simply wear the costume, in its entirety, as much as possible around the house. Get used to its weight and how to move around in it so that you dont exhaust yourself too early on.
As you stated in your question, if you're feeling tired, dont be afraid or (in my case sometimes) too stubborn to take it off and rest a bit. The convention is supposed to be a fun, enjoyable experience which wont happen if you're passed out cold on the floor.
Know your limits and treat yourself well.
Vendetta6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
lemuries

I don't know how to type sheepishly, but I was being serious, because I read the OP and thought I was reading someone who went from a school-uniform costume weight to a Warhammer 40k full rig costume weight, and was trying to come up with a way that people build up supporting muscles all over their body simultaneously.

I'm glad you're here to see things clearly, Vendetta I hadn't realized how far off I'd gotten.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
chupachan

I'd recommend wearing a weighted vest and maybe some ankle/wrist weights as well. It's totally understandable if you don't want to make the financial investment in buying these items, but to be honest, they're great training tools and can be comfortably worn more places than a costume. Wearing them while performing everyday activities would help you get used to carrying the extra weight, and if you want to go the extra mile you can add in exercises like lunges and stair/bleacher climbing while wearing them.
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
BlindJustice

heavy squats, heavy deadlifts, heavy chin-ups, and of course, bench press. trust me. I've had to carry ridiculous amounts of gear throughout my former military career and nothing feels better than a load that is lighter than what you lift.