Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
noir-P
Just keep on Smiling :D

Really need help! Please read :(

ok, so basically i joined a gym and in order to join you need to do some sort of fitness test.
now there are 4 "steps" to the fitness tet, each session 1 hour long

so today was the first test and the guy took all my measurements, calculated body fat [14%], etc.
he check my heart rate and said it was abnormally high [88 ish?]

now i think this was due to because i ate quite the meal at lunch around 2-4 hours before i went [3 whole eggs, 2 buns, a ton of french fries, and a sausage] so I just assumed it was due to that; also because i was slightly nervous :P

anyways, i had to do a cardio exercise on a bike for 5 minutes and other simples things like pushup pullup situp etc.

now during the biking/cardio part, he noticed that i was taking verrrry short breaths and told me to take in larger volumes of air as opposed to many small breaths in order to decrease my heart rate; so i did as instructed.

by the end of the session, i felt extremely light headed and dizzy. i felt like my head was sore or something and needed some help going down the stairs to the changing room. my heart felt like it was going to burst and it felt extremely awkward and uncomfortable.

i sat there for several minutes [about 20mins] in order to let my heart/head "chill out". after 20 mins, i still felt terrible and asked a friend to accompany me to my home just in case i felt something happen.

im just wondering what could this be and how can i avoid it? cause this experience happened to me in 2 cases:
1) when i go for a run and its windy/cold outside, the wind and coldness makes my head sore/hurt or something
2) the "weakness" i felt with my body was like standing up after lying down for a long time [low blood pressure?]

is there any way to help sooth this? or any way to prevent this from happening?

a little about me:
- i eat healthy [except at school :P]
- im relatively skinny
- asian
- i dont have any health problems
- not under any meds

im fine now, but im nervous for tmrws 2nd session :/

Unread 09-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
drakeprimeone

It could be as simple as you not being used to the cardio yet. Have you ever worked out like that before? I wouldn't jump to drastic conclusions just yet. It could have been a number of normal issues like over exerting yourself combined with nervousness. You did eat quite a bit before and its possible that people not used to the exercise can feel nauseous as a result. I know I get nauseous whenever I work out especially hard in a boot camp. Usually the dizziness can be caused by all those multiple short breaths you were taking.
When you go back the trainers should already have made note of it and will adjust your next session to compensate. Give it a bit of time and good luck!
drakeprimeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
noir-P
Just keep on Smiling :D

well the nervousness wasnt that big of a factor, i would say i was only nervous when he was measuring my heart beat thing.

i do work out consistently, its just that i never worked on cardio.

and ya, i guess it mightve been the multiple short breaths i had.

thanks for replying, damn. im starting to feel better and more confident for tmrw
Unread 09-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

More than likely its just from not being used to doing the cardio. The slower deeper breaths will serve to lower your heart rate once you get more used to exercise.

With the cold affecting you, it could be the cold air being uncomfortable with a warm body, from exercising. Either you can get used to it, ignore it, or workout indoors. With a little more time you won't even notice any of these discomforts, you'll have awesome new ones ; )
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
iscil

Do you drink enough water? I used to be severely dehydrated all the time because I wasn't drinking enough and my head always hurt really badly after exercise.
iscil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
sociologies
masked avenger enthusiast

I think it's overexertion. Personally, I got terribly nauseous and dizzy the first time I did a really strenuous workout at the gym, and almost fainted... needless to say, I learned from my mistake, and now take it gradually. Don't worry too much about it! And I agree with the previous poster - hydration helps the lightheadedness!
Costumes
New: Ms. Marvel (Warbird suit + Tron) | She-Hulk 2.0 | Echo | Semi-Secret Costume | STXI Uhura
Possible: Korra | Storm 2.0 (Alan Davis ref art)
Facebook
Join The Superhero Costuming Forum - for all manners of capes, cowls, and superpowers!
sociologies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
Kasinator
Not quite human

Let me assure you that all what you experienced is not uncommon. Your body is simply not used to taking so much exercise in a short span of time. The first few days will be like this, but your body will soon adapt and change for the better

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
zssfanxxx
I LOVE RAYMAN

I know how you feel.
I'm always nervous.
But I have hope in you though~
But I'm lucky to be healthy..since I'm on meds for seizures.

Have faith!
zssfanxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
Saralectric

Gotta agree with Kasinator. Even if you work out regularly with weights and machines, if you aren't doing cardio, you're doing little to strengthen your heart. What the trainer had you do was fairly intense for someone just starting out.
Most likely, the second session will be totally different types of "tests". But DO NOT push yourself into sickness just for a gym trainer to get a 'reading' on you. Listen to your body and if you feel faint or ill, tell him and rest. You're not in Boot Camp.

As you begin your gym membership, gradually increase your cardio workouts. Your heart will become stronger and your heart rate will decrease. When I work out at the gym, normally all I do is about an hour and a half of interval training on an elliptical. Last time I went to the doctor, she asked me if I play sports because my heart rate was somewhat below average, which is typical for athletes. (Of course, I recommend having more variety in your gym workouts than I do. I gotta start mixing it up)

Don't worry about it. Keep training your heart and it will get stronger, just like any muscle.
Saralectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 04:02 AM   #10
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-P View Post
ok, so basically i joined a gym and in order to join you need to do some sort of fitness test.
now there are 4 "steps" to the fitness tet, each session 1 hour long

so today was the first test and the guy took all my measurements, calculated body fat [14%], etc.
he check my heart rate and said it was abnormally high [88 ish?]
If your a woman 14% would be abnormally low.....even for a guy 14% isn't bad AT ALL. and 88 heart rate is defintely NOT abnormally high. I don't know what they're telling you at your gym though... Abnormally low would be around 110, professional athletes have lower heart rates as low as 60 per minute sometimes lower. 88 would be a healthy heart for someone who doesn't workout.

Quote:

now i think this was due to because i ate quite the meal at lunch around 2-4 hours before i went [3 whole eggs, 2 buns, a ton of french fries, and a sausage] so I just assumed it was due to that; also because i was slightly nervous :P
Considering 25% for a guy and 33% is considered obese for a woman and a 88 heart rate is healthy under any means I have no idea what your talkin about :P

Quote:
anyways, i had to do a cardio exercise on a bike for 5 minutes and other simples things like pushup pullup situp etc.

now during the biking/cardio part, he noticed that i was taking verrrry short breaths and told me to take in larger volumes of air as opposed to many small breaths in order to decrease my heart rate; so i did as instructed.

by the end of the session, i felt extremely light headed and dizzy. i felt like my head was sore or something and needed some help going down the stairs to the changing room. my heart felt like it was going to burst and it felt extremely awkward and uncomfortable.

i sat there for several minutes [about 20mins] in order to let my heart/head "chill out". after 20 mins, i still felt terrible and asked a friend to accompany me to my home just in case i felt something happen.

im just wondering what could this be and how can i avoid it? cause this experience happened to me in 2 cases:
1) when i go for a run and its windy/cold outside, the wind and coldness makes my head sore/hurt or something
2) the "weakness" i felt with my body was like standing up after lying down for a long time [low blood pressure?]

is there any way to help sooth this? or any way to prevent this from happening?

a little about me:
- i eat healthy [except at school :P]
- im relatively skinny
- asian
- i dont have any health problems
- not under any meds

im fine now, but im nervous for tmrws 2nd session :/

It's hard to take anyone's comments seriously sometimes cause often people say they eat healthy, but often don't realize how bad their diet is sometimes.

A lot of variables are out there but if you need to know where your blood pressure is at and try to find the cause if it's too low or too high. If it's too low you can easily take some yohimbe which is known as a sexual aid but it has positive effects on lowering blood pressure and weight loss, and also if you take stimulants like pre-workouts it can help increase your blood pressure as well.

I honestly wouldn't take personal trainers advice unless he's very well recommended and you've done your research finding a good one, mainly cause it can take as little as 2 days to become certified as a personal trainer, and many gyms won't even require you to be certified to take on clients. Chances are you could ask a friend who workouts to train you and they could be just as effective. Which is a random shot in the dark to be honest.

If they have had any professional career in bodybuilding / fitness competitions etc those are the ones to look for. The good ones will allow you to talk more and listen more especially in the initial consultation. The best ones will also know how to repair you if you break down and have some type of physical therapy knowledge.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.

Last edited by distantarray : 10-03-2010 at 04:05 AM.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
FYDave
Project Revelasian

As others have mentioned so far, perhaps your head aches and light headedness can be attributed to dehydration. Also this feeling of being dizzy could, in part, be due to low blood sugar?

I'm always happy to give people advice or suggestions on weightlifting, exercise, and diet routines. Don't be afraid to PM me and just say hi either!

http://www.stickam.com/fydave
FYDave is offline   Reply With Quote