Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-26-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
sociologies
masked avenger enthusiast

How to become more like a gymnast?

Video

That, right there, is the goal.

... Kidding. I'm merely seeking to become more of a gymnast, and I don't know exactly what to hone in on to do so. I have my ideas of what to do, but they all sound rather humiliating (I'd prefer not to go to a Gymnastics studio and make a fool out of myself!), so how would I go about doing this with the most privacy possible? I have been working on both upper and lower body strength, cardio, some flexibility (I'm starting to get more and more into yoga) and have maintained a healthy vegetarian diet for the past 5 years or so, but can't get all the balance needed to do basic stunts. I'm not a very naturally "centered" person, and the closest background I have to gymnastics is Chinese dance and dance in general (but not the extremely acrobatic stuff, more rhythmic stuff). How would I, or anyone else, go about making myself more... acrobatically inclined? Eventually, I'd like to work up towards all the back flips and such, but for now, I just want to actually start without injuring myself (which is what happened the last time I got coerced into trying gymnastics by my gymnast friends, who don't seem to be aware that not everyone started in gym since age 5!).
Costumes
New: Ms. Marvel (Warbird suit + Tron) | She-Hulk 2.0 | Echo | Semi-Secret Costume | STXI Uhura
Possible: Korra | Storm 2.0 (Alan Davis ref art)
Facebook
Join The Superhero Costuming Forum - for all manners of capes, cowls, and superpowers!
sociologies is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Kasinator
Not quite human

Dont forget to look into jump training AKA plyometrics. Your lower body is important to work on if you want to do flips and stuff. also in order to do hand stands shoulder workouts have to be really intense! Really get used to shoulder flys, and you'll be one step closer!

You might want to look into parkour. there are plenty of vids, and it teaches your body to intuitively think. as far as discretely, just look for a grassy place. where you have a small not steep hill to work with. the rest is dedication.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD

Last edited by Kasinator : 09-27-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
distantarray

unfortunately tumbling and flips in gymnastic studios are generally don't cover people over the age of 16 at most, mainly cause of insurance liabilities with adults tend to get injuried easier and have more fear distilled into them.

As for backflips there's no real way to get around it but getting over the fear itself. DO NOT try doing backflips on the end of a diving board or in a pool cause people usually just end up hitting their face on the board or worse.

Have a friend help you and throw your leg over your head for momentum if needed, although it'd generally better if the person is taller than you. Also it requires a TON of muscles from the mid section, so focus strongly on your core. Also your core is still a muscle DO NOT work themout every day or every other day. People often have a mis conception it's a faster healing muscle, but it's not. Generally core feels like it heals faster cause people usually prefer to do high reps and not high weights, it's like if you bench nothing 100 pounds x 10 for 5 sets your body will adapt and never get sore eventually.

When my friends and I finally figured out how to do a back flip, we did about 5 that day and next day we were like curled shrinks cause our midsections hurt like hell, so work the abs and lower back out a lot prior to doing it, it'll also increase your momentum and speed. Also work into strengthening your joints too prior to doing these. Fish oil and glucosamine + msm and calcium magnesium is important cause it's really easy to hurt yourself.

Generally if you take Wushu Kung Fu, or Capoeira these will give you a good place to start with a lot of things and build up gradually.

Plyometric training is also very important, if you can't jump very high the chances are your going to land straight on your face and or knees.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
distantarray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8xxgFpK-NM

Honestly if you've taken Martial arts and gymnastics etc Angola the traditional style of Capoeira is actually more impressive than breakdancing or gymnastics imo, it's hard to go slow slow slow strains the muscles more than going fast, and slower you go the more mind games you have to play.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
sociologies

Thanks for all the assistance and detailed advice! I'm going to get cracking on this ASAP.
Costumes
New: Ms. Marvel (Warbird suit + Tron) | She-Hulk 2.0 | Echo | Semi-Secret Costume | STXI Uhura
Facebook
Join The Superhero Costuming Forum - for all manners of capes, cowls, and superpowers!
Unread 09-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
SilentCAt
Twisted Hi-def Fly girl

Find some good ballet Contidioning videos, they might help. Along with Yoga.
Felicia Darkstalkers

----
Upcoming Con- TBA 2013
SilentCAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
sociologies

Thanks for the tip. I've started to do yoga, and after some good stretching, I notice how limber I become. Now to become "springy", haha!
Costumes
Facebook