Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Unread 09-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Blasteh
Photographer

Retouching Eyes

This tutorial will be spread over 2 posts due to 6 image limit.

Want to know how to add an extra kick to your portraits?
This tutorial will show you how to add a bit of oomph very quickly. You can use this technique in combination with all the regular stuff you use.

What I'm working with:

This is an old photo where I have already done all the post processing minus the next part which I will show you.
We will first darken the dark areas of the eyes.
Create a new layer and then press ctrl+backspace to fill the layer; it will bring up a dialog, set it as follows:

Your new layer will now be covering your whole picture in grey.
Next make sure the new layer is selected and change its blending mode to Overlay as shown:

Select the burn tool and use a smallish brush, I'm using a tablet for finer control while editing. Set roughly* as follows:

*Brush size depends on how large your picture is and how big the subject's eyes are in the picture. You may want to use a lower exposure value if you are using a mouse.

With the burn tool all set up, start burning dark areas of the eyes (eyelashes, pupil and edge of the iris)
This is what it looks like if you show only the burn layer:

Next step is to lighten the light areas of the eye.
Create a new layer and select the brush tool:

Continued...

Unread 09-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Blasteh
Photographer

Set the brush as follows*:

*Again, you may want to lower opacity settings if using a mouse and the brush size depends on your image, I usually make my brush size around the same size as the highlights in the eyes and then a bit smaller.

Brush over the whites of the eyes but be careful not to make them too white! The whites of the eyes are not actually pure white irl!
Next brush over the highlights of the eyes and the iris to lighten them up. At this stage, you can make highlights in the eyes bigger or even add new ones, this will be entirely up to your interpretation though!
I didn't need to make the highlights any bigger for this image as they were quite big already.
Here's the areas I painted over shown lighter than the grey:

And you're done!

Here's a comparison
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Attorney_at_LOL

Nice!
Attorney_at_LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
kaworu0926
passione'

sweet
kaworu0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Emrys

Emphasizing the detail of eyelashes is a nice touch, but I prefer to use Dodge on highlights (for the iris), and Burn on shadows (for the pupil and rims around the iris). I think this preserves the colors and tones better by emphasizing the highlights and shadows instead of desaturating the whole thing by altering the midtones. Midtones usually don't need editing, unless you want to add a color overlay with color burn a little to get more pop of color.

Also, I think everyone would be grateful if you could resize your screenshots pls.

Last edited by Emrys : 01-28-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Blasteh
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
Emphasizing the detail of eyelashes is a nice touch, but I prefer to use Dodge on highlights (for the iris), and Burn on shadows (for the pupil and rims around the iris). I think this preserves the colors and tones better by emphasizing the highlights and shadows instead of desaturating the whole thing by altering the midtones. Midtones usually don't need editing, unless you want to add a color overlay with color burn a little to get more pop of color.

Also, I think everyone would be grateful if you could resize your screenshots pls.
The midtones part of the burn brush merely affects the layer filled with 50% grey set as overlay. It doesn't get painted directly on the photo. Its effect is to lighten or darken the overlay layer which in turn passes on to the photo. (Think of it as an undo-able burn/dodge layer independent from the photo itself)
I have resized the photos now.