Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
booklover67

Wrists...

Although this is not strictly having to do with losing or gaining weight, it has to do with fitness and cosplay =) I have quite a problem with my wrists... I have pretty bad tendons, as in my shoulders used to randomly sub-flux before I really built up the muscles, and I have a similar problem with my wrists. When I am doing most arm exercises with weights or push-ups, my wrists start hurting a ton... For a cosplay coming up, I would really like to be able to do a handstand, but everytime I get into one my wrists start hurting like hell. Any suggestions on how to strengthen them so I can put more pressure on them? Thanks for any help!!
booklover67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Ghai

You could do wrist curls with can goods to build up the surrounding muscles, then use light dumb bells to as you get strong. Fish oil maybe. You could also try doing the push ups on your knuckles. I've been doing it like that for so long now that doing it normally feels incredibly awkward, and after a while your knuckles toughen up and get more resistant to the pressure.
Ghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover67 View Post
Although this is not strictly having to do with losing or gaining weight, it has to do with fitness and cosplay =) I have quite a problem with my wrists... I have pretty bad tendons, as in my shoulders used to randomly sub-flux before I really built up the muscles, and I have a similar problem with my wrists. When I am doing most arm exercises with weights or push-ups, my wrists start hurting a ton... For a cosplay coming up, I would really like to be able to do a handstand, but everytime I get into one my wrists start hurting like hell. Any suggestions on how to strengthen them so I can put more pressure on them? Thanks for any help!!
glucosamine + msm + fish oil + calcium is a good start.

Also poi is very good for creating wrist strength. Fire poi was actually practiced by Vikings to strengthen up wrists to help deal with recoil from their heavy weapons training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCcLZUT81Lw example of fire poi, although you should never start with fire =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpCZk...eature=related

poi balls are probably better to start with.

Also glucosamine and MSM is better taken in liquid form if possible.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
drakeprimeone

I'd like to add that you may want to change up your grip while doing arm exercises like curls. There is a tendency to squeeze really hard on the bar while doing things like curls. Squeezing for an extended time and then releasing quickly can cause that pain. Try not to over squeeze and when its time to release do so gradually.
drakeprimeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
booklover67

Ghai: I’ve been trying to do that, but everytime I start my wrists feel like they are going to die… I may just be using weights that are too heavy though. Push ups on your knuckles that seems like a really good idea actually! I’ll definitely try that out.

Distantarray: For glucosamine, msm, fish oil, and calcium, is there a certain brand that is better? That is really cool about the Vikings!! I’ve been wanting to try poi for a while, so this seems like the perfect excuse =D

Drakeprimeone: Both of those seem likely to be part of the problem. I’ll try to change around my hand positioning more frequently and see if that helps.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!!

For the Future:
Akari Mizunashi from ARIA
Yuuko from xxxHolic (duct tape)
Erza Scarlet (Heaven's Wheel Armour) from Fairy Tail
D from Vampire Hunter D (very far future...)
booklover67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
distantarray

Quote:
Ghai: Iíve been trying to do that, but everytime I start my wrists feel like they are going to dieÖ I may just be using weights that are too heavy though. Push ups on your knuckles that seems like a really good idea actually! Iíll definitely try that out.

Distantarray: For glucosamine, msm, fish oil, and calcium, is there a certain brand that is better? That is really cool about the Vikings!! Iíve been wanting to try poi for a while, so this seems like the perfect excuse =D

Drakeprimeone: Both of those seem likely to be part of the problem. Iíll try to change around my hand positioning more frequently and see if that helps.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!!
source naturals are pretty affordable and good brand, but don't worry about calcium if your drinking enough milk or protein shakes after a workout. Each protein shake whey or casein will have 15-30% of calcium in each serving so you should be set on that. Optimum Nutrition is a good one for protein.

Fish oil if you can eat some salmon it's a lot better since American companies use Ethyl Ester to process the oil which makes it lot less effcient. TG fish oil is great but they're a lot more expensive.

Glucosamine and MSM try to get it in a liquid form if possible.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
Unread 09-30-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
Inoli
I Nom Swords

First off, please take the time to wrap your wrists before work out! second off I'm not a trained professional but I am speaking from both experienced and what my doctor and union have told me. Until you have your right muscle groups trained and strengthened you will really hurt yourself. Sounds like you might need to work on your grip strength some. I got the same ache and unbearable pain at times when I first started as a cake decorator. Now? I bet I have a stronger more lasting grip strength then any man in that gym!
its all about working up to it. wrap your wrists. do your push ups on your knuckles and most importantly STRETCH YOUR HANDS!

your wrist is wrapped in muscles and tendons all from your forearms. your forearms are connected and laced with muscles from your upper arm and that laces into your shoulders. strengthen your forearms and work up the muscle group and I'm sure soon enough you'll be able to do your hand stand. you can get a rubber ball and grip it a few times fast and release, stretch and do it again. push ups, even easy ones agisnt a wall on your knuckles with wrists strait as they can be will start to give you grip strength and take some of the strain off of your wrists while building them up in a slow healthy manner.
slowly strengthen and stretch, always stretch. I do hope this helps you and others.

[/color] [/size]
Inoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
bkyoung

Quote:
i would tape them up tight and practice your handstands. the tape will support your wrists and make it easier for you to do a handstand and once your body gets used to it, tape them looser and looser until they arent there.
bkyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
InkyDoo

In addition to what bkyoung and Inoli have posted I would like to add since I have carpal tunnel in both wrists. I wrap my wrists before group workouts that deal with anything with getting on my hands and my bro whose in physical therapy is helping me build up the smaller muscles located in my hands, wrists and arms to reduce stressing my wrists.

This may help as well but you may want to wrap your wrists loosely or in a wrist brace before going to bed, my chiropractor recommended this to help with my carpal tunnel.
InkyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 04:29 AM   #10
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkyDoo View Post
In addition to what bkyoung and Inoli have posted I would like to add since I have carpal tunnel in both wrists. I wrap my wrists before group workouts that deal with anything with getting on my hands and my bro whose in physical therapy is helping me build up the smaller muscles located in my hands, wrists and arms to reduce stressing my wrists.

This may help as well but you may want to wrap your wrists loosely or in a wrist brace before going to bed, my chiropractor recommended this to help with my carpal tunnel.
There's never been any studies I've seen from it, but after I do poi for a while my carpel tunnel doesn't act up AT ALL for months to years after, just thought I'd mention this since I probably forgot =)
Unread 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
PhDPepper
\(ŐωŐ)/

It sounds like your wrists may already be damaged from something... may want to figure out some physical therapy routine with someone who specializes in hands. Hands are actually pretty delicate with the amount of bones, muscles, and connective tissue's involved in getting them to function, and if you have an injury and keep working that injury it may get worse.

If i were to make an unprofessional guess, its probably connective tissue like tendons or ligaments that are bothering you because those, unlike muscles aren't designed to be torn down and repaired. It has very little blood flow so healing takes a long time.
PhDPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
InkyDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantarray View Post
There's never been any studies I've seen from it, but after I do poi for a while my carpel tunnel doesn't act up AT ALL for months to years after, just thought I'd mention this since I probably forgot =)

Really? I will have to look into it. The reasoning behind all the physical therapy is a combination between broken fingers, car accident, carpal tunnel and myself being a little paranoid about making sure I have hands when I get old. But the little workouts for my arms and wrists have been helping. I actually have a little bicep showing.
InkyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkyDoo View Post
Really? I will have to look into it. The reasoning behind all the physical therapy is a combination between broken fingers, car accident, carpal tunnel and myself being a little paranoid about making sure I have hands when I get old. But the little workouts for my arms and wrists have been helping. I actually have a little bicep showing.
well it kinda makes sense if you think about it, carpel tunnel is usually a result from unbalanced movements and over developing one muscle over the other, through poi you'll strengthen all areas of the wrist and muscles surrounding it creating more balance and flexibility.

It's like people who over workout their chest but neglect the back usually end up with back and shoulder pains. Working out the otherside shows a lot of benefits.=) no science behind it but from a common sense theory it seems to work, hopefully it does but after doing poi for about 1 year straight I never had my hands act up on me for about another 2 years .
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #14
PhDPepper
\(ŐωŐ)/

Oh, on poi i guess i just wanted to say that, make sure your not overtorqueing your hands either. I know Nick Woolsey, famous in the poi community, mentions in one of his tutorial video's about how he started to strain his wrists but solved the problem by using more wrist friendly hand positions. LOL, and poi is a lot of fun but can be painful to learn, make sure you get some softer ones to start :P

Good learning site for Poi Link
PhDPepper is offline   Reply With Quote