Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
t00tsypop

i need's the help!?!

hi hi everyone..
im trying to lose the weight (atless 15/20 pounds) by feb. for the person i wanna cosplay. so far iv been going to the gym for a month now (i have not missed a day) and i run 4 miles and do some upper body stuff every other day. i have given up soda and coffee. all i drink is water. i have started eatting healthy'r.. but it seems i havent lost anything yet for it already being a month. does anyone have any suggestions or a better food plain that can help me drop off this weight before feb.

iv been struggling with this for a while now. and im starting to lose hope that itll all go away. so please... someone be my knight and shining armour and help me out.

: (
t00tsypop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Well standard to point out the stickies which have some great details on specifics as far as nutrition and exercise ideas.

You sound like you are off to a great start. One thing which may make you happy though is coffee is actually "good" for you, metabolically speaking (it makes you burn more calories, and provides energy) as long as you aren't putting sugar, milk or sweeteners into it. Even artificial sweeteners can cause insulin spikes which aren't helpful.

The running and upper body routines sound good, but you want to make sure to work out your WHOLE body, not just certain parts. Kasinator has a great array of beginner to advanced routines (in the stickies) that might give you an idea of whats missing.

So you say you haven't seen any progress. What are you using to measure progress? Pictures of yourself? Measurments of key points on your body? The scale? The scale is very misleading and a goal of "weight" loss is not as important as "fat" loss. I expect other members will gladly point out that muscle is denser/heavier than fat, and as such initial gains when you start working out can off set fat loss so that the scale doesn't change.

With all of that in mind I highly recommend getting a very firm idea of what you are eating each day. A rough gauge of calories, macronutrients (how much is protein, carbs and fat). Carbs and fat are not bad, they are quite important, but timing is everything.

Hope this helps a bit, and I'm sure as long as you stick with this, you'll be approaching your goals one step at a time.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by t00tsypop View Post
hi hi everyone..
im trying to lose the weight (atless 15/20 pounds) by feb. for the person i wanna cosplay. so far iv been going to the gym for a month now (i have not missed a day) and i run 4 miles and do some upper body stuff every other day. i have given up soda and coffee. all i drink is water. i have started eatting healthy'r.. but it seems i havent lost anything yet for it already being a month. does anyone have any suggestions or a better food plain that can help me drop off this weight before feb.

iv been struggling with this for a while now. and im starting to lose hope that itll all go away. so please... someone be my knight and shining armour and help me out.

: (
Have you taken a chance to look at our Thread Directory yet? It has two particular links I think would be of great merit to you. The "knuckleheaded-Ninja" workout, and My nutrition tutorial. Also if you have further questions that you cant find existing in this board, just put a post in the main losing weight and cosplay topic.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
benihime
Kimono Queen

just to let you know, that I worked out at least 3-4 days a week at the beginning of the year (january, february) and I didn't lose any weight until april, may. i'm pretty sure it depends on your metabolism.

also it's good to take breaks...

ONE soda one day a week isn't going to hurt, sometimes it's bad just to kick it all

and juice is really good for you. so is tea... so i know people say just drink water, but there are good juices out there (and milk! unless you're taking calcium pills) that will help.

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
distantarray

I always wonder why people always try to cut coffee out of their diet when they workout.

Coffee is best source of anti-oxidants in the American diet, it also has thermogenic properties which helps you burn extra calories. Black coffee only contains less than 10 calories. As long as your not drinking a 600 calorie frappicino you should be perfectly find.

Caffeine @ about 2 cups of coffee also been proven to help relieve muscle pain more than advil or tylenol right after a workout.

Also everything sounds great, but remember just cause your running 4 miles doesn't mean much if your doing it in the same manner everyday. You have to mix it up to break plateaus in your progress.

Run, jog, walk, sprint in random order will burn more calories and help your body from adapting and getting lazier in the progress. Also instead of running 4 miles each day it's better to run different lengths each day. 2 miles, 2 miles, 4 miles, 6 miles, 3 miles etc.

Sometimes it's even good to skip a day on occassion to allow your body to rest. It also sounds like you could easily be over training.

Over training increases your cortisol and estrogen levels which will have negative effects on your progress.

Also Lift weights before you go running, when you workout your muscles release a glob of hormones, and if it's expended during a workout directly after it's important. Also more lean muscle mass = more calories burned through the entire day. The most important thing is DIRECTLY after a workout take in sometype of clean protein otherwise your body will eat at it's own pre-existing muscles to fuel your body. Also simple carbs are welcome before and directly after a workout. So if you really want you can eat a snickers bar before and after a workout if your really craving one.

Carb cycling is incredibly effective, and it just means to avoid carbs after 8-9pm, and trying to keep it towards breakfast and before and after a workout. If you can do that you'll lose a quite a bit of fat. Also it sounds like your potentially starving yourself with a super strict diet, too much exercise and too little calories will have a very bad effect on your body. At your exercise level I wouldn't take in anything under 1,600-1,800 calories minimum. If your under that then I can bet that's the biggest reason your not losing weight is because your body is in starvation mode.

So

1. don't over train
2. don't skip on sleep
3. don't avoid coffee
4. lift weights then run
5. change up your tempo / workout routine
6. eat protein / carbs directly after a workout.
7. don't starve yourself diet is more important than exercise

eating less doesn't mean losing fat and often means your losing fat AND muscle.

www.simplyshredded.com has more tips on how to lose fat and gaining muscle while staying HEALTHY. great resource if you ever need, the website is geared towards people who aim for bodies like fitness models, tips on diet, supplements, and training can be found there.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Quote:
Originally Posted by benihime View Post
ONE soda one day a week isn't going to hurt, sometimes it's bad just to kick it all

and juice is really good for you. so is tea... so i know people say just drink water, but there are good juices out there (and milk! unless you're taking calcium pills) that will help.
While these things are true, ultimately they can represent impediments when your progress starts to flatline and plateau.

When you are really watching your calories things like soda and juice, are basically sugar filled drinks that offer no further nutritional value than your multi vitamin provides; so many people find it better to cut them out, or phase them out to see continued success.

Juices consist of simple sugars. Which mean they are broken down quickly and more likely to be converted to fat, just like candy. The trick is though, like distant said, in timing. If you really want your glass of juice, then time it first thing in the morning or right before a workout, when your body is most likely to make the most beneficial use of the simple carbs.

And yes, milk is a good thing. I recommend it, though you should be careful of just how much you drink because that is another thing that can easily add up on you, especially if its not skim.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
benihime
Kimono Queen

i meant more like tomato juice and such. yes I know most juices contain mostly sugar. that's why I look at the label when buying juice

well yes I know too much milk is bad but women need calcium, especially if you aren't taking vitamins to help with it

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
Kasinator
Not quite human

Please continue this post in the losing weight and cosplay thread. We have several threads similar to this one, all of which are given thorough attention and answered. we are trying to keep this board organized and repeat topics such as this one are making this board more confusing to new users.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote