Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Member Events and Gatherings

Unread 10-06-2003, 01:52 AM   #1
allyunion

Lord of the Rings Openning Cosplay Gathering

In preparation for the last Lord of the Rings movie in December, I would like to organize some gatherings on cosplay.com. What I'm primarily interested in doing is waiting for tickets for the day of the release or the day of premiere of the movie at some famous theater.

If not, at least the thread could be used to gather people around their local areas, i.e. Southern California, Northern California, Las Vegas, etc, just to get a large group of LOTR cosplayers/costumers to be present at one movie theater.

I would like to *try* organize a cosplay.com gathering of Lord of the Rings Cosplayers at the Famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. But I don't know how possible that will be. I know the actual Lord of the Rings Premiere will be held in New Zealand, but it would be kind of interesting to hold a cosplay gathering event at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre for the Return of the King.

Anyway, what does everyone think?
Lewis Black: "There is no such thing as bad language. I don't believe that anymore. It's ridiculous. They call it a debasing of the language. No! We are adults. These are the words we use... to express: frustration, rage, and anger... in order that we don't pick up a tire and beat the s**t out of someone."

Japanese Animation and Cosplay Society
allyunion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2003, 11:46 AM   #2
Freya
Doing the "FROdo"

I've been hoping that someone would start something like this. Keep us posted!
Freya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 04:33 PM   #3
wenisit
c'est le temp perdu

Im in for it. Just gimme the details and ill drag a bunch of ppl to this (what's pitiful is that im a native southern californian...and i just went to grauman's chinese theater for the first time this last weekend!!)
wenisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 01:40 AM   #4
allyunion

Hmm... I'll have to call Grauman's Theater about the movie... Whether if they have something special on December 16, or whether they will only have a December 17 midnight showing...
Lewis Black: "There is no such thing as bad language. I don't believe that anymore. It's ridiculous. They call it a debasing of the language. No! We are adults. These are the words we use... to express: frustration, rage, and anger... in order that we don't pick up a tire and beat the s**t out of someone."

Unread 10-09-2003, 08:39 PM   #5
Cherry

Jason, didn't we talk about this or something?

I don't remember. Anyway. This is Seishirou. <333333. I really hope we can do this!
Unread 10-10-2003, 04:50 PM   #6
L to the 3rd
aka Scrawny Squall

theonering.net also has ''line party'' groups where
they organize gatherings. its not nessesarily cosplay but i'd feel hella lot more comfy around u guys.
Unread 10-16-2003, 12:12 PM   #7
Shinobi
The Blackanese Ninja!

I am not in your area, but seeing as I had suggested something similar for Michigan cosplayers, you might want to take into account that some theaters will be showing ALL LOTR movies when the new one comes out. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one.
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2003, 09:46 PM   #8
Ami Yuy
Not an active mod
Site Moderator

*nods* Shinobi's right. Actually, being the insane one that I am I was thinking about doing small opening gatherings (with friends) for all three... Lol, I'm insane, I probably won't have my cloak done by then anyway...

Hm, I'd love to go with you guys, and maybe actually get to meet some rather than just passing by at cons and in the forums. I'm really shy when it comes to approaching people and saying, "Hi I'm Ami, I've talked with/seen you around Cosplay.com."

But, eh, I think we're doing a big opening night thing with my school again...two of my teachers, a few of my friends, my boyfriend's friends and others.
Ami Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #9
sakura yuna
AX Staff Member

Hmmmm...sounds spiffy..I would do it if it weren't lack of driver's liscense right now and my mom isn't exactly being nice right now. I do have an entire LOTR ispired costume all set up...but I can only go to one theater because it is within walking distance and my mom won't have a corniary if I do decide to walk there...Edwards Cinema in Metro Point across the street from South Coast Plaza. I probably won't be able to make it. Have a great time. and I promise I will make- up for the lack of me being at soooo many events when I have a driver's liscense.

"I'm here to fight for truth, justice, and the American Cosplayer." -Superman (1980)
"I find your lack of Cosplay disturbing." -Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
sakura yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2003, 04:10 PM   #10
RoseDuelist
CHS Anime Club President

Aw fudge, Dec 17th is a Wednesday. Ah well. ^_~ I'll just have to deal with lack of sleep for school the next day...

I haven't even started my costume yet, but regardless of whether or not it is ready this sounds like fun. Keep us posted..
Unread 11-16-2003, 07:53 PM   #11
allyunion

Hmm... it is apparent that the moved the gathering line for Grauman's Theater to somewhere else... I still haven't quite decided on its location...

Unread 11-23-2003, 02:23 AM   #12
allyunion

Alright, for those who are watching this forum about the place and location, would you perfer to follow the line party to Universal City or still continue to go to Grauman's Theater or change the location to somewhere else in Los Angeles county?

There is a line party for the AMC in Downtown Disney in Anaheim, as well.
http://www.theonering.net/movie/line...ist.php?id=270

Info about Grauman's Theater line party:
http://www.theonering.net/movie/line...ist.php?id=264

One other thing, would you perfer to see just the movie on December 16/17 or the full trilogy? You can buy tickets for the full trilogy at www.lordoftherings.net or moviefone.com
The closest theater for that is
AMC Theatres 30 At the Block
20 City Blvd. West, Building E, Orange, CA

Now, advance tickets that can be bought from moviefone.com are at:
AMC Theatres Galleria At South Bay 16
1815 Hawthorne Blvd, Redondo Beach, CA

OR

AMC Theatres Promenade 16 Woodland Hills Cinema
21801 Oxnard Street, Woodland Hills, CA

But the above theaters I don't really like. So, please post below of where should we hold our gathering.

Last edited by allyunion : 11-23-2003 at 02:43 AM.